Beam's quick and dirty CBD assay test

PlantManBee

Hi guys. I came across this the other day and thought it could be of use to MNS members.

The needed reagents are:

5% KOH(Potassium hydroxide) in 95% ethanol
(5g KOH in 100 ml 95% ethanol)

Petroleum ether, Naptha or other organic solvent to remove the cannabinoids from a sample of your choosing.

Place 1-2 grams of your sample flowers in an oven until dry @ 150 degrees Celsius for 5 minutes. Extract in a small glass vessel (shot glass?) for 10 minutes in 10 ml of your Petroleum ether, other organic solvent, naptha, etc.

Filter and remove the leaf material using a coffee filter or similar, catch the liquid extract

Take 1 ml of the extract and dry on a white porcelain dish like an egg cup, saucer, or similar. (Gently heat the dish to evaporate the liquid phase of the extract). You will have a dish with remnants of resin leftover once the liquid has evaporated.

Place 5 drops of your 5% KOH in ethanol solution on your plate, and wait about 10 minutes. You will see a distinct violet/purple/pink color from samples containing CBD which could be Chemotype II or III plants - in the case of CBD Lullaby they will be only Type I and II plants- THC only plants (chemotype i) will not show this colour.

It's a relatively simple test and anyone can do it, you just need to order KOH from Amazon or your local soap making store and pick up a solvent from your local hardware store. The ethanol will probably be the most difficult thing to source, but it is available as "Everclear" or 190 proof ethyl alcohol from your local provincial or state run liquor store, depending on your location.

Hope that comes in handy....
-Chimera
___

ole Chimeria test)

Its a cheaper way of doing it than other products used to do the same thing really, - not sure why he bothers to do it though, - we already know there are cbd's in a plant if were experienced etc, maybe he's looking for a plant with no cbd's or similar,?

I tried it though and works like mentioned, just no info like a profile kit of sorts, these are pretty expensive and handing over 4 large to someone overseas I don't know other than online is risky business.

Its a cheaper way of doing it than other products used to do the same thing really, - not sure why he bothers to do it though, - we already know there are cbd's in a plant if were experienced etc, maybe he's looking for a plant with no cbd's or similar,?
Chimera provided that information because he has a variety that throws both CBD/THC and THC only chemotypes. Just wanted to give a simple tek to identify the presence of CBD.

ole Chimeria test)

I tried it though and works like mentioned, just no info like a profile kit of sorts, these are pretty expensive and handing over 4 large to someone overseas I don't know other than online is risky business.

High Bambi!

Did you use naptha for the solvent? Did the KOH dissolve in the naptha? Mine's just sitting there!

Finally trying this on some CBD shark leaf material.
:)
I used a test very similar to this that I found on Steemit to select a high cbd male for my F2'ing of HOTF/TGA's Deadlights. It does work, and if very accurate in your measurements, can give you a relative gauge on CBD content based on the intensity of the purple coloring. I ended up using 2 males with nearly identical (to the eye) test results. No idea on the %'s but they were the highest in CBD.

Back