BBill's Test thread.

hi bill how you doin fella

your plants look great the yellowing dont look that bad at all ,it seems its only the lower leaves that are afected

nice photos too mate:) very clear and crisp wat type of cam are you using,iv just got a new cam myself a sony cybershot 10mp but iv only got vegin plants so theres not much to see

great work mate keep them pix comin

Thanks for the kind words, herb. The camera is a Canon EOS 50D. with their standard 28-135mm IS kit lens. I think I'm going to buy some extension tubes shortly so I can get some better closeups in the next couple weeks as well. So far it's a fun little camera for sure. I need to learn how to shoot with a flash better, however. If I pump the flash directly at the plants they get blasted with too much light, so i put it off to the right a bit which is why you see it lighter to the right and darker to the left on my pictures. .But I ended up kind of liking that effect anyway.. So much to learn in this camera world, I tell ya! I'll be playing around some more tonight and tomorrow as well with some of my other girls..

Adios
BB

Two more pheno pics.

Howdy. took some shots of another couple tonight. Another really nice squat one, and by far my haziest smelling and acting.

The first one, the squat one, is similar to the topped one I posted yesterday but it doesn't have near the yellowing. It's also a bit more squat, and I believe the stems are a bit heavier too as this girl is still able to hold herself up pretty decently. She's another one of my favorites. She is pictures 5, 18, 22 and 24. 22 and 24 are close-ups of two different buds on that plant.

The other plant is quite different although it's not as easy to see in the pictures. This one sat farther back so I didn't get as much intimate time with her up front over the weeks but as soon as I went to pull her out I looked at her and said "I bet you anything she smells like haze".. Sure enough this is by far the haziest smelling girl. She seems to have the expected growth characteristics as well. Her stems are weaker for sure and I had to do a bunch of tying thi evening to get her all upright, the hairs on her are longer and overall hairier(not sure if this is a haze trait for sure or not but it's an observation) and if you look close you can see there' s a little bit of tip burn on a lot of the leaves.. So she definately doesn't need as much nutes as her non-hazy counterparts but she's by far not in any danger of getting wrecked so I'll keep her on the same regimen as everyone else.. If anything I my give her plain water an extra feeding than I give the rest. I think I may have two of these phenos actually, we'll see as the weekend goes on. She also does look like she's behind the other pheno and yesterdays phenos as far as ripeness so I bet she goes 10 weeks or so.

Also, if you notice some mangled leaf tips in the topped one, that's not nute damage or bugs or anything. I have a constantly ongoing battle with whiteflies so pretty much every day I am shop-vaccing them off and sometimes the ends of those branches get sucked into the vacuum hose and rip some edges off. But they're not in numbers great enough to warrant any form of insect control at this point so I just stick with the daily sucking of 20-30 or so of the little buggers and they're staying in check. I really hate those MFers though.

Enjoy.

Attachments

• IMG_0001_1.jpg
    IMG_0001_1.jpg
    780.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0018.jpg
    IMG_0018.jpg
    731.3 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0022.jpg
    IMG_0022.jpg
    503.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0024.JPG
    IMG_0024.JPG
    517.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0003_Resized.jpg
    IMG_0003_Resized.jpg
    520.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0004_Resized.jpg
    IMG_0004_Resized.jpg
    608.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Do You Take Images Just After Lights Out ?

Morning BB:)
I Find That By Taking Images In The Dark To Be The Best Way Of Ridding The Orange , Whilst Also Reducing " Reflection Bounceback "
I Try To Take Images As Soon As Bulb Has Cooled So As To Not Disrupt Grow Cycle ;)
( Olympus S5800 - 10x Optical Zoom )
Joe:)

Those look great man. Vacuuming up the white flies is pro, haha.

Haha BD it's a pain in the ass but amazingly if I do it every day I may get 50-100 of them then they're gone until the next day..

Anyway folks, later today I should have plenty of new shots at just shy of week 8.. My ex found out I got that new camera and stole it from me for a few days and she's dropping it back off today.. The plants look absolutely awesome. I'm rather upset I didn't take any cuttings but such is life. I still have 2 left that I haven't even flowered yet in another area that I can get some from and hope they turn out to be good phenos.. I have phenos all over the map with these girls and they all look pretty awesome. From hazes to skunks to some that remind me of some SSH I grew..

BB

Latest updated - 53-55ish days

Ok.. here we are.. JUST shy of week 8.. 53-54 days and I'm amazed at how far along all these are.. Some just simply look ready to pluck, others can't be more than a couple weeks away.. I got shots of 6 of the 9 different plants.. This time around I added one of my 2 coco's that I haven't been impressed with because of my lack of coco skills, and then another beautiful untopped one that was sitting in the back that I had just been too lazy to reach.. The other 2 I have look just like one of the other phenos I'm showing here so I didn't throw them in. If anyone is dying to see them let me know and I'll grab some shots.. Doing these photo shoots right is quite cool since I have this camera but it's pretty funny how much time you end up spending trying to get the right shot once you have a decent camera with a lot of manual capability..

Along the lines of this new camera, I must say, if anyone here is really into, or really wanting to get into shooting pictures I can't recommend enough a camera that lets you hook a USB cord to it and fire up some software that let's you remote control the settings and the shooting of the pictures.. My pics would be horrible if I didn't because I'm way lazy.. With Canon's EOS utility you can click on some settings, take a shot, see it INSTANTLY and if you don't like it, try some other settings and take another shot within 10 seconds.. I must have taken 100 shots to get the ones I'm uploading now, just fudging with all the settings until I got a shot I was happy with.. Not enough light? no problem, increase the ISO, decrease the f-stop, or increase the shutter time.. DOF out of whack? screw with the f-stop and other settings.. Quite a learning experience, really. This is why I wanted to do the test grow in the first place.. Now my only regret is not taking cuttings of any of these beauties.. I've probably seen 50-60 grows in my days and I gotta say these are the prettiest, best calyx/leaf ratio and the easiest, most non-fussy to grow plants I've dealt with of all. Also, this is just an aside, I've noticed for whatever reason that those whiteflies that I suck up every day don't care for the hazy phenos much.. I wonder if they don't like the smell maybe?

Anyway, I'll probably chop the earelist within the next week and I'll take photos of each the day I chop them, and subsequently the rest within the next 2 weeks most likely as they finish up.. I have some tools coming by the end of the week to do the gland check.. and another surprise I haven't sprung on anyone yet, just in time for harvest!

One other thing, if you're actually paying attention to the file names on this set, when I call something "haze" I'm referring specifically to the smell. The untopped-haze pheno shots is a pretty amazing specimen to me, and the one I would take cuttings from by looks/smell alone if I had to choose. It has a much more dense, chunky bud structure but with that classic haze smell and should definately be done within 9 weeks. A really perfect combination.. To say there aren't a ton of awesome phenos within a pack would be an understatement..

added note : as I was looking how these all turned out when published, on that 043 bud-closeup, I just wanted to make it clear those chopped tips are just because that bud is a casualty of my shop-vac whitefly assault. I think at one point I was sticking entire buds into the shop-vac hose when they were smaller.. so some tips get sucked off for some reason.. I never did understand why it didn't grab the whole leaves.. Anyway, just didn't want anyone to think it was a plant deficiency.
BB

Attachments

• Coco_UnToped_FullShot.jpg
    Coco_UnToped_FullShot.jpg
    411.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Coco_UnTopped.jpg
    Coco_UnTopped.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0035.jpg
    IMG_0035.jpg
    395.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0043.jpg
    IMG_0043.jpg
    327.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0045.jpg
    IMG_0045.jpg
    392 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0054.jpg
    IMG_0054.jpg
    392 KB · Views: 12
  • Never_Shown_Haze_1.jpg
    Never_Shown_Haze_1.jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Never_Shown_Haze_Full.JPG
    Never_Shown_Haze_Full.JPG
    732.7 KB · Views: 26
  • Topped_Haze_1.jpg
    Topped_Haze_1.jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Topped_Haze_2.jpg
    Topped_Haze_2.jpg
    400.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Topped_Hazy_FullShot.jpg
    Topped_Hazy_FullShot.jpg
    376.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Topped_Non_Hazy_2.jpg
    Topped_Non_Hazy_2.jpg
    433.4 KB · Views: 18
  • Topped_Non_Hazy_Bud_Closeup.jpg
    Topped_Non_Hazy_Bud_Closeup.jpg
    384.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Topped_Non_Hazy_FullShot.jpg
    Topped_Non_Hazy_FullShot.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 15
  • UnTopped_From_LastSet_2.jpg
    UnTopped_From_LastSet_2.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Down they slowly come..

Ok I took down my first girl and may do another this evening. I failed to charge my camera so I'll let it charge up a bit before I try pics of the 2nd plant. I'm calling this first one Plant #8(I wasn't keeping track until now) since the plant tag I had already had an 8 written on it.

I bought some extension tubes to try and get some macro shots but I think I probably have a lot to learn to get some good ones of the resin glands close-up like lots of people get. I got a couple shots of them on this plant but they're nothing special. I believe I'm going to have to try and get shots with much more light before I can get something super-close.
I also got wide plant shot before the battery shot craps so here we go, Plant #8.

This one isn't particularly sticky or covered in resin and has a 'dry' feel to it when touched.. It is one of the more chunky-bud structured plants and freshly cut has somewhat of an ammonia smell is the best I can describe it..

I did a quick 5-10 minute trim and will do a final trim as I jar them later in the week.

Attachments

• Plant_8_01.jpg
    Plant_8_01.jpg
    340.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Plant_8_02.jpg
    Plant_8_02.jpg
    446.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Plant_8_03.jpg
    Plant_8_03.jpg
    339 KB · Views: 16
Plant 10.. 69 days and done..

So here is the other of the two main phenos I ran into (the first one would be Plant 8).

This one has much more hazy characteristics.
It has the hazy smell
The buds are longer, much hairier, a bit more resin, and more dense than I expected for a hazy pheno.
This girl is a topped version of the haze pheno.
Also I noticed that for whatever reason the whiteflies I was sucking up didn't care for this pheno vs. the chunky type.

I decided to take this one down because pretty much 80% of the leaves were yellow, drying up, and either falling off on their own or they could be pulled off with zero effort as if they were just laying on the bud. Not to mention it just looked done :)

Attachments

• Plant10_05.jpg
    Plant10_05.jpg
    609.7 KB · Views: 53
  • Plant10_03.JPG
    Plant10_03.JPG
    816.5 KB · Views: 31
  • Plant10_01.jpg
    Plant10_01.jpg
    870 KB · Views: 32
  • Plant10_02.jpg
    Plant10_02.jpg
    885.8 KB · Views: 23
Plant 5.. 69 days and done..

This is similar to plant #10. Topped as well.
The only main difference to report is if you look closely at these pictures you will notice a couple nanners JUST starting to pop. I hadn't seen a single nanner on any of the 9 plants the entire time until tonight. I think this is simply because the plants were probably finished a week ago or something and they're doing what I understand a ton of strains will do if you go past their peak harvest window. I don't know this 100% for sure, obviously, but like I said there were zero signs the entire time on any plant until now so if I were keeping this pheno around I wouldn't be sweating that issue at all. For what it's worth, the conditions were pretty much ideal throughout the entire grow. no light leaks, temps in the mid 80s, plenty of airflow, never had any wilting due to watering neglect, etc..

One common note among this pheno is the compact foxtailing. I'd never seen it so compact before.. It's like little balls of foxtails everywhere. Something unique to the 50 or so diff strains i've probably laid eyes on in my time.. It's kind of sexy, really.

Attachments

• Plant_05_03.JPG
    Plant_05_03.JPG
    810.8 KB · Views: 137
  • Plant_05_02.jpg
    Plant_05_02.jpg
    699.9 KB · Views: 212
  • Plant_05_01.jpg
    Plant_05_01.jpg
    556.9 KB · Views: 111
Thanks for the detailed grow report BotanicalBill.

I too, am keen to learn the fine art of taking those amazing macro shots that have been posted for our viewing pleasure. Looking forward to some of your future shots.

Plant 14.. Day 69

Here's another. Not much to talk about, it's like the other 2 previous posted with the dry feel, chunky buds.. This one doesn't have the ammonia smell of the first one, is probably a little bit lighter in yield, but the smell itself isn't anything remarkable.. Smells like dope.. :) No nanners starting or anything like that, either.

Attachments

• PLant_14_01.jpg
    PLant_14_01.jpg
    746.4 KB · Views: 56
  • PLant_14_02.jpg
    PLant_14_02.jpg
    709.9 KB · Views: 37
  • PLant_14_03.jpg
    PLant_14_03.jpg
    593.7 KB · Views: 26
Hi BotanicalBill

Great report and very nice plants & pics . Keep it up and let us know how they smoke when they are harvested and dried.

Untopped Chunky. 1 of my 2 favorites. Done @ 70 days

So this is the untopped version of the chunky foxtailing phenos that I have a
few of. This is one of my favorites as far as sexiness goes. No nanners or anything to report on this one too, just another easy one to grow that gave me no problems. The macro shot is just me screwing around again with the extension tubes.. I think I need to take these shots in more light.. Doing it in the middle of the night in a bedroom with the camera's flash and a little 60w side light isn't quite cutting it..

I have 4 left to take down after this.. 2 are the cocos that I don't care for because I never dialed in the coco, 1 is another chunky, and then I have my other favorite, which is a big ol' untopped hazy pheno. It's the only one looks like it can use some more time so I'll give it another week..

Take care

BB

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    515.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    796.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    760.1 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0021.jpg
    IMG_0021.jpg
    389.6 KB · Views: 35
My coco plant.

Here's 2 shots of 1 of the two coco plants that just didn't like me. My inexperience I'm sure as anything I did with soil came out just fine. The shots actually look better than the plants do in real life. They are very wispy and thin, but eh, live and learn. If I do it again in coco I'll actually pay attention to the pH of the water. I'll spare you all pictures of the second one. It pretty much looks just like this one.

BB

Attachments

• IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    757.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0009.jpg
    IMG_0009.jpg
    878.9 KB · Views: 25
First dried bud shots.

So here's the top of what I called the untopped-chunky one, which was one of my 2 favorites. I tried it on a couple different backgrounds, I'm not too experienced with close-ups of just buds laying on a table so I took a dark background and a light background with whatever I had laying around.. Even though I call these the "chunky" pheno, they're not super dense or anything, they just look more chunky than the hazy pheno.

Also, this is the only plant I weighed out so far, and it came out to 43 grams dried. It may possibly lose another gram or two over time, but you get the idea. It was probably 36 inches tall if I were to guess.

BB

Attachments

• IMG_0012.jpg
    IMG_0012.jpg
    874.2 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0017.jpg
    IMG_0017.jpg
    925.7 KB · Views: 179
Excellent Reference Images , Thanks .

After Moving Four Plants Under Cover After A Appalling Outdoor Season , When Comparing Them To Your Foxtailed Buds I Reckon I'm At Least 2-3 Weeks Behind Yours.
I Did'nt Top Any Of My Early Haze Plants , And Number 7 Is Really Starting To Fatten Out Up Top After Removing Some Lower Branches .
The Resin Feels Greasy IMO With A Rich Deisel Smell In A Few , But Two Early Hazes Have A Very Sweet Smell ???
Still Have A Big Early Haze Outdoors And Was Overjoyed This Morning When Weather Reporter On The News Reccomended That Gardeners Water Their Plants As There Is No Rain Expected For The Next 7-8 Days
Right On :)

Attachments

• Mr Nice Early Haze - Test Results -  AAA.jpg
    Mr Nice Early Haze - Test Results - AAA.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 15
  • EHT7- Main Cola - Sept 20.jpg
    EHT7- Main Cola - Sept 20.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 24
Looks like they're coming along nicely, JKP. I hadn't noticed any sweet smells in the ones I had yet, but the that fuely smell for sure. Tomorrow I'm taking down my last 2, one which is by far my most hazy smelling.. We'll see how they turn out..

I also have 2 that I never flowered and kept in another room all this time.. I took cuttings from both and threw the mothers outside although I don't expect much from the moms. The cuttings however I'm going to flower out and we'll see if they turn up any surprises..

BB

Last two..

Here are the last two.. the big budded one is the most hazy pheno.. I guess it must have gone 80 days or so.. So did the other one which is really the most mixed of the two phenos.. A little more chunky in structure but a bit more pistils..

pic 006 and 009 are one plant, the other two the other..

BB

Attachments

• IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    877 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0009.jpg
    IMG_0009.jpg
    793.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0014.jpg
    IMG_0014.jpg
    873.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0018.jpg