Angel Heart mini test lab

badrabbit

Hi gang,

Here are 4 Angel Heart females at 3.5 weeks of flowering.

The Plan: I decided to establish a small test room (ebb and flow hydro in rockwool, under 400w MH for veg and HPS for flowering). The idea was to not displace any of my regular perpetual/keeper rotations in the bigger room with a bunch of seed plants that may, but more often may not, turn out to be keepers.

The idea was not to work for yield, but keep plants small, identify any flowers that demanded a second look, and quickly discard the rest. This way, I can search through a bunch of promising seeds without investing much time/resource in flowering out big duds.

I went to 12/12 very early (these were flowered at about 2.5 weeks post germ and all were topped) and will prune and keep their footprint small as well.

11 seeds were started, 10 germinated, and 4 females were found. Clones were taken from all and at this point, all male plants and their clones were discarded. All of the cuts from these females have rooted and are awaiting a decision on whether or not they'll go into the big league rotation as a probationary keeper.

Fun, huh? Yeh, I get to enjoy the fun of hunting for keepers in a stash of great genetics without sacrificing a bit of my regular, modest production of smokables.

Also saves me from massive disappointment ... the number of great reputation strains that have flopped has been a big long, ugly lesson for me ... I've found some real winners, but they are far rarer than I had hoped years ago.

Anyway, I won't post these every week, I'll be happy to answer any questions or comments, but I'll probably post only the finishers after all is said and done. I do have high hopes, as usual, I love the potential of the Angel Heart line ... if I can find some of the phenos that skunkDoc discovered (see other AH grow thread), I'll be a happy fellow.

Cheers,
rabbit

Attachments

• AH _3143 CCS  - Copy.jpg
    AH _3143 CCS - Copy.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 84
Hey rabbit,

Your one badddd rabbit :) nice thread angel heart has for a while now been a strain I am very interested in. My question would be do you ever have any issues with white pots forming alge on the roots? I was also thinking about using a 30 gal food grade trash can as a Rez it's also white not sure if I will have issues. I'll be very excited to see your results with this one best of luck my friend.

Nice plants. What brand of bulbs/ballast/reflector do you use? Did you switch bulbs as soon as you flipped to 12/12? Will you go back to MH for the last few weeks of flowering? Thanks.

M.

Hey rabbit,

Your one badddd rabbit :) nice thread angel heart has for a while now been a strain I am very interested in. My question would be do you ever have any issues with white pots forming alge on the roots? I was also thinking about using a 30 gal food grade trash can as a Rez it's also white not sure if I will have issues. I'll be very excited to see your results with this one best of luck my friend.

Hi weezy, thanks!, just a young man with a dream ....

(actually, used to be young, but that's another story)

I have not noticed any problems with the white containers, other than they take stains after repeated use ... of course, the black ones probably do to, it's just harder to see. I have certainly have never seen any difference in the roots between the containers, the ebb and flow seems to keep them fresh and there's rarely any light leaking through to the roots.

I do switch to larger pots for the bigger plants/tables, but in line with my goals here, I'll not worry about it on this test ... I've taken lots of plants to finish in this size and it works OK.

thanks for checking in ... I'll look forward to your take on the finished plants very much,
rabbit

Nice plants. What brand of bulbs/ballast/reflector do you use? Did you switch bulbs as soon as you flipped to 12/12? Will you go back to MH for the last few weeks of flowering? Thanks.

M.

Thanks Morphote ... yeh, they do look pretty healthy and happy don't they? That's been my experience with most MNS plants, very vigorous. I think the GH basic hydro nutes work well too when kept at lower levels.

It's a brand new sun system ballast/hood ... I don't remember the bulb off hand, but I usually buy the Hortilux, so they are probably that.

I did indeed carry the MH through the first week, plus a day or two, of flowering before going to the HPS. I haven't yet tried switching back to the MH in the final weeks, but yes, I have heard several folks saying it was beneficial, and I might try it as well.

best,
rabbit

“badrabbit labs”, kind of has a nice ring to it, lol. I love seeing new techniques being tested, good luck with your trials. Where did you end up topping those at and about when did you take the clones? I’ve got 4 Angel Heart sprouts going for outdoors, haven’t sexed yet so not sure what I’ll end up with but was very happy with what I grew last year, have cuts of one of them also in waiting.

It will be interesting to see how much time you save by your new method of pheno searching, could also have an application for breeding selections.

“badrabbit labs”, kind of has a nice ring to it, lol. I love seeing new techniques being tested, good luck with your trials. Where did you end up topping those at and about when did you take the clones? I’ve got 4 Angel Heart sprouts going for outdoors, haven’t sexed yet so not sure what I’ll end up with but was very happy with what I grew last year, have cuts of one of them also in waiting.

It will be interesting to see how much time you save by your new method of pheno searching, could also have an application for breeding selections.

Hey my friend, yes, it sounds like the breeding program from hell, eh?

Good luck with your outside angels ... really, getting some strong mango traits in a skunk type plant could be very, very lovely. I hope you find something great too; we'll get some momentum behind this line.

I pulled out my notes to make sure I got these answers out accurately ... rabbitlabs keep copious notes of course ...

Germinated march 4 and topped all of them on march 21 and 22; about 2.5 weeks from germination. The actual height and number of nodes varied by plant, generally clipped above the 3rd to 4th nodes, not much more than 6" or 7" plants at that point (there was one runt that was half that size, but turned out to be a boy anyway.) I switched to 12/12 cycle on March 24, so almost exactly 3 weeks total veg. All of the plants had new grown sprouts around the topping point when flipped.

I took two cuts from every plant, for 20 total, on March 29, 5 days into flowering. I got a bit lucky in that these seem a bit branchy and all had small, but reasonable cuts to give up. There were a bit slow to show sex and really start the stretch, as you would expect with seedlings put into flowering so quickly.

Morphote: If you're reading, my notes have corrected me, I didn't switch to the HPS until 2 full weeks into flowering.

I expect they'll stretch as much as another foot yet at most... but they will fit well within the small area allotted.

thanks again for checking in ... I hope to report happy stuff in a few weeks.
rabbit

Hey rabbit,

looking good so far iam interested in this strain as well, i will be watching !

Keep up the good work

Preliminary results

I finished the 4 Angel Heart females pictured earlier in the thread and will paste pictures below (sorry for my lame camera skills).

The good news was that the mini-test idea worked well for me ... as intended, I didn't devote space in the "A Room" rotation to unproven plants.

Which leads to the less than stellar news; none of these four strike me as keepers. One pheno, pictured at far left in the group photo and in each of the two sub-shots has some intriguing aroma. It was the most "indica" leaning of the bunch and, to me, looks very much like many of the afghan skunk type plants I've seen.

There is modest trich formation on this pheno ... more than the other three which, while they have some nice overall shapes are notable by lack of strong aroma and light trich coverage.

I am drying/curing now and if anything is surprisingly good/decent, I will post those results. I still have a rooted clone in reserve for each lest I'm surprised by something.

Otherwise, the bottom line is that popping 8 seeds simply isn't enough of a genetic sample .... I have 10 AH seeds left and there are still very good chances of finding something nice there once I get around to popping the rest of them. I'll post those when they are run in the not too distant future.

In the meantime, I'm running a non-MNS test next and you can probably find it elsewhere on the 'net if interested.

Thanks for checking in ... the results are incomplete, but onward and upward.

best,
rabbit

Attachments

• IMG AH 8.5 wks  - Copy.jpg
    IMG AH 8.5 wks - Copy.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_AH 1 crop  - Copy.jpg
    IMG_AH 1 crop - Copy.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_AH 1 size  - Copy.jpg
    IMG_AH 1 size - Copy.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 61
Paging Rabbit Labs

Shall we start calling you “Mad Rabbit”, as in scientist?

It sounds like your experiment did what you were looking for it to do, sorry you didn’t find one to keep. I’m kind of doing an outdoor rotation with this strain, kept one from last year and am searching for one to beat her. Let those buds cure a while, some things came out in the cure with the one I kept.

Question, did you notice anything with the clones rooting by doing it the way you did, as in throwing them into flower so early and then taking clones? I’ve taken clones at different times in flowering and the longer in flower the slower they are to take. Just wondering because those were thrown in flower before they were probably mature. Thanks in advance for your prognosis.

Back