After Nevil's pasing, Sam weighs in

Status
Not open for further replies.
The moniker "verde limon" is most definately not mexican.
Limon means lime, verde means green.
In espanol limon de Amarillo means lemon, but there is no way a Hispanic would ever call a lime green.....its just limon.

english speakers don't say I'll have a green lime either. but people seem to say things are lime green. i was in costa rica or somewhere in central america a long time ago and remember having a confusing conversation about what a lemon is.
Aryan and Franco were collecting Limon Verde in the colombian strain hunting infomercial. I think it's been mentioned that mangobiche and limonverde are interchangeable.

Could green/verde mean weed? It can here.
Usually verde is associated with food like chili verde or salsa verde, anything with a tomatillo based sauce.
Pot is pretty much called 'mota' or sometimes 'fumara' but slang being what it is there may be hundreds of local slang terms that you'd never hear of unless you were in that certain area.
I'd bet that 'lime green' was used to describe what the buds looked like and someone that didn't understand espanol just assumed and ran with it...
Make sense ?

The moniker "verde limon" is most definately not mexican.
Limon means lime, verde means green.
In espanol limon de Amarillo means lemon, but there is no way a Hispanic would ever call a lime green.....its just limon.
Don't know if your mother language is Spanish, but this variety is Mexican.It was sold by Ace Seeds, Spanish seed company.:rolleyes:;)
Photo from Raco icmag
7287mejicoverdelimon_2_.jpg

limon verde is green 🍋
iu

Seems we had a similar argument, same actors, same time last year about another “Spanish” word. Arguing about the name of a variety derived from CBG- another Spanish company that doesn’t know how to spell lol. Can’t we just all get along?

🤙Mu
California surfer
Aussie rock digger from central desert
Louisiana swamp rat
Scottish pub crawler
They all speak English but the only thing they can agree on or understand is that the surfer speaks really politely.
Dialects, slang, and phrasing.

got no idea what the Scottish dudes saying but he’s passionate about it and he’s got me laughing. Not sure if he’s angry about the situation or if he’s taking the piss out of it..
Aussie dude don’t say to much. Kinda mean when he does but I can’t take it personally, he just gets to the point quick and can’t fathom how I don’t know this.
Louisiana dude, knows a lot of stuff. everything seems to have an interesting and bizarrely funny story too.
That surfer does speak really politely..

None of the seeded or sinsemilla landrace Mexican lids or pounds that I saw was ever given names back in the day. It was all sold and labeled by the location where it came from. Oaxacan, Michoacan, Morelos, Guerrero, or the name and a color like Acapulco Gold or Zacatecas Purple. Later names like Mexican red hair and Oaxacan highland were added, but that was as far as I saw. More recently I obtained seeds from a Mexican strain called Verde Limo'n that I had been looking for for some time. I do not know what region in Mexico that it came from though. I also have a newer strain that I got last year called Purple Morado Mexicano (Mexican Purple). No region assigned to it. I presume it is a modern hybrid and not a landrace, but we shall see.

That's very interesting about morada line. A colombian landrace known as pati morada considered a p1 from one of earliest old timer haze crosses. Originating from cauca its anthocyanins were most prominent of colombian landrace. I've found limited info on from ig on her. I wonder if your new hybrid has the pati as an ancestor

english speakers don't say I'll have a green lime either. but people seem to say things are lime green. i was in costa rica or somewhere in central america a long time ago and remember having a confusing conversation about what a lemon is.
Aryan and Franco were collecting Limon Verde in the colombian strain hunting infomercial. I think it's been mentioned that mangobiche and limonverde are interchangeable.

Lemons are not very common in Mexico or Central America. Limes dominate there. The dictionary word in Spanish for lemon is limón, but if you ask for a limón in Mexico (or here in the Hispanic barrios of the western US) you will get a lime. Similarly I have a bottle of lime juice in my refer that I bough here in Oregon, and it says Jugo de Limón/Lime Juice on the label. Not Jugo de Lima. Lima is the technical Spanish word for Lime, but it is a regional dialect thing. In parts of Latin America they speak what they call Castilian, and in other parts they speak what they consider Espanol. Its a regional dialect thing and they are different. There are also regional dialect in Spain.

I never heard of any Colombian weed called Limon Verde except on Strain Hunters on YouTube. I think it is a rip off or confused with a landrace strain in Mexico called Verde Limón. Meaning green lime in Mexico (or by the book, green lemon, but that simply does not make any sense). For a while in the very late 1970s after the Paraquat thing killed SW Mexican weed imports, the hippies backed small plot grows more inland in the SW states and Merelos. A lot of that stuff was amazingly manicured sinsemilla and bright lime green in color. I have never seen anything like it before or since that time. I sent some to my brother living on Maui and he said that no one belived it was from the mainland. Not possible... but it was, and it was good shit. But they folded up shop in SW and central Mexico and moved growing indoors to the upper NW of California.

Last edited:
That's very interesting about morada line. A colombian landrace known as pati morada considered a p1 from one of earliest old timer haze crosses. Originating from cauca its anthocyanins were most prominent of colombian landrace. I've found limited info on from ig on her. I wonder if your new hybrid has the pati as an ancestor

Quite a few Colombians have purples in the buds. Zacatecas Purple from Mexico also had all purple flowers and colas once the flowers set. So there were some Mexican strains with purple back in the day from more northern and central climes. The Mexican Morado may stem from that line, or is a Colombian hybrid, or (most likely these days) is an indica hybrid. I will know when I grow it. Mexicans and Colombians are very different, as are indicas. Most strains will also turn purple from cold exposure. Vietnam Black also has a black shadow cast to it late in bloom, but close up the leaves are really purple. Some black African strains that I have seen look black, but they are also actually really super dark purple under bright light. Anthocyanins can turn plants purple, red, or black. Not just in weed, it occurs in many plants.

View attachment 50293
Was actually a kind of Purple Thai I see.
Verde Limón is from the Michoacan region in Mexico.

Amusing. Dolores is the name of one of the main streets in the 'downtown' area of Carmel, California. My mom used to live on that street. No numbered addresses can be posted in Carmel. So its 5th and Dolores, or 7th and Junipero. In Carmel they also pronounce Junipero "You Nipper Oh" and not the Spanish "Huni perro". More dialect and lost in translation stuff.

According to a 1979 article in High Times about Colombia is that they started to grow in the 1920s at the both sides of the coast, later in the early 1970s seeds from Mexico were shipped to the Guajira peninsula where it were inbred with the Colombia indica.

Screenshot_20201211-174823_2.pngScreenshot_20201211-180214_2.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back