Jakes Critical Haze Mother Hunt

blowingupjake

Mothership Connection
Hello farmers!

I recently ran a tester run to see if i liked what the Critical Haze brings to the table.... well, i do!

I will be staging a mother hunt over this spring/summer.

Due to plant count restrictions i will only be running 3 at a time until i find my mother plant. This allows me room to look for mother plants from some other MNS genetics.

0kay- the first critical haze i grew was a monster. Vegged only 2 weeks, spent most of its life crammed into a tent under 400 watts of HPS and still yielded almost 2 1/2 ounces of fruity, spicy, sandlewoody goodness. High is awesome. Harvested as close to 100% cloudy as i could and it gets me SOARING high if i smoke one before work.
Pic of a nice cola on the first CH at time of harvest:https://jakesflowershop.smugmug.com/Critical-Haze/i-rnVhMs5/0/O/20160102_144119.jpg
The Critical Haze has now graduated to my big grow area and will bask under a 1000w in my 1600w room in about 2 weeks.

This journal will serve several purposes and all input is welcome!

I will update weekly with photos of the mother candidates through flowering and finish up with smoke report.

Stay tuned!

Jake

lame update

Hello all,

Sorry for slow updates. I have been very busy with work.

I have two confirmed female critical haze and one that is very slow to show sex.

The two females i have seem to be the same pheno as the pic in the first post. They are extremely vigorous and solid. Nice node spacing and really awesome lateral shoot development from topping once. They have nearly doubled in size during this stretch period.
The third is leaning way towards the haze side, which is what i am after. It is a very slow grower, does not clone easily and generally lacks vigor. I have noticed it does not drink as fast as the two other sisters so i am wondering if there is an issue with the root system...

None are showing deficiency on leaves, been light with the feeding. About once every 10 days to two weeks until they demand more!

This plants have been under 12/12 for 6 days and now have been under 11.45/12.15 for about a week and will work down to 11 soon. After receiving advice from Shanti about shortening to 10 on 14 off when running haze hybrids, i am working the light schedule down slowly in an effort to mimic mother nature.

At this point none are showing any signs of trichome development or any other traits that blow me away. Also, worth noting that these
Three CH have all developed Powdery Mildew while the Walkabouts and grandaddy purple plants did not. I have taken steps to lower humidity and have treated the plants. This is only the second time i have ever had PM in my room. Last time was on an OG kush clone from a dispensary i bought in 2011.

I will post pictures of the gals once they are through the stretch phase and flowers are really setting.

At this point I am more intrigued by the Walkabout group in the same room. I have kept clones of everything just in case, but i do not expect my sativa keeper to come from this critical haze sample.

Hope these gals prove me wrong and the rest of the beans stay in the fridge :p

Jake

I must say that is one beautiful bud mate.
Respect

Thanks professor! That means a lot coming from such a good grower! One of the reasons i joined the forum here was your medman pic's! Have yet to snag it at auction yet, but hopefully the shark straw in my fridge will be on par with what you found from the white(oops, black) family!

Jake

One thing I do know.....
Always reserve judgment until you have tasted the fruit because until then you don't truely know what you have.
My medmam keeper wasn't even on my radar untill the last couple of weeks. Book by it's cover and all.....
Thanks for the kind words, I am truly grateful.

No doubt, gentelman.

I have made that mistake before. I always make sure i have a healthy, rooted cutting of everything i am trying out. I am also trying to get in the habit of running a clone as well before making a final judgement.

After 2 months in a jar i know thats as good as it gets, then i decide whether i like it or not.

Much like most of you, I'm sure. Lol

Jake

better update..

Okay,

Went in to check on everything and CH number 4 has balls.

I am a little bummed because it was the most sativa looking of everything in the room. If i was a little less busy with work i would set up an area to keep him and collect the pollen. Maybe this summer he will pop up again.

The other 2 critical haze have a double serration on the leaves. I don't remember that from last time, so i am invested in them again. :D

Will try and snap pics and create a walkabout thread this Sunday.

Happy weekend yall!

Jake

day late, dollar short

Hello farmers,

Uploading a pic of the flowering group so you know it's still going.

Will post detail pics of the Critical Haze very soon!

The front row is a couple different GDP and Berry Garcia cuts i got from a deadhead pal of mine.

The group in the middle and back are the walkabout and critical haze. Notice how happy they look compared to the clones. Not impressed when comparing side by side.

Jake

Both of the Critical Haze girls have transitioned nicely into flowering.

Side by side of CH1 & CH3:

CH1 cola:

CH3 cola:

Loving the Critical Haze gals. The stretch was about double the original height and the canopy has filled in very nicely with a single topping early on and a bit of a lollipop last week.

That's all for now

GO BRONCOS!!!!!
Jake

So,
The Critical Haze is a hell of a plant.
Both of these girls had trichome sets before anyone else in the garden, including a GDP that is one week ahead of them.

Also, worth noting that the spider mites totally ignore these two girls. Seriously- I've been fighting these bastsard for two weeks and the CH were never even really touched. One of the Walkabout girls is their favorite. Poor thing, but we are definitely winning the war!

No smells yet, but the neem oil probably has something to do with that.

That's all for now,

Stay Hazed
Jake

Looking good, sorry the borg has arrived, bummer. I have noticed certain afghani/NL type plants are naturally mite resistant. Worth researching or trying to breed into a line due to the fact that mites are probably the most deadly thing to any MJ garden.

Looking good, sorry the borg has arrived, bummer. I have noticed certain afghani/NL type plants are naturally mite resistant. Worth researching or trying to breed into a line due to the fact that mites are probably the most deadly thing to any MJ garden.

I have noticed the same thing, Sys. Definitely something to consider when I decide to chuck pollen again.

I'm not terribly worried. I kill mites like cows spew methane. It had been so long though, like 7 or 8 harvests have gone without them at all. That's the real bummer.

Thanks for stopping in!

Happily hazed,
Jake

keep us updated on this line. If I remember correctly when I grew this strain (seeds from about 2010) All the plants were uniform. I kept one and made seeds but have not grown them.

Back in the early days a seed buyer would get a variety of plants to select from which was great because the grower could tailor his choice towards what suited him best.

Never the less, good hunting.

I will definitely keep this thing rolling. Shanti seems to think there is something special to find in this line.

So far, the only difference in phenotype I have encountered was a male. All the females I have seen so far are the same. Not complaining. I think this pheno is CM heavy,(like the play on words?) And produces a fine smoke. I may stick with this pheno for the rest of the year because I have so many others to fish through and really enjoy the smoke. It is fueling this ranting reply to you! Lol.

I think it's funny you mention plant variation in a fond tenor. I was just reading a guy on a other forum trashing MNS because he had too much variation in his shit plants.... I thought to myself "yeah, that's what makes growing fun!"
Did you run a whole pack of the Critical Haze?

Thank you for your input!
Happily hazed,
Jake

Quick update:

Ch1 is looking like my keeper. Tighter node spacing, awesome growth rate and the most trichome coverage out of my current group. If this one finishes at the same density as the last plant my hunt may be over for the time being.

Will post pics this evening (if the site is cooperative)

Happily hazed,
Jake

Last edited:
Musashi, you ball buster you....

I continue to be impressed with the two Critical Haze girls.

The keeper competition is totally wide open at this point.

Ch1 has denser flower production, more typical of the indica portion of her heritage. Definitely an awesome plant. She is a thirsty girl. I water before work and come home to a completely dry pot by the end of the 12 hour day for them. No other plant in my garden is that thirsty.

Ch3 is turning into a beautiful looking Haze hybrid. I can already see individual calyx swelling and anticipate this to be a gorgeous looking plant in the coming weeks.

They both have pretty much the same Haze citrus/light berry smell and very nice trichome coverage.
Tomorrow is 5ish weeks for them.

I will snap some pictures in the morning. :eek:

Jake

Back