Is it any good?

lettuce

I'm a new grower and trying to get psyched into buying some NL5 x haze but I can't because the reports are only so-so. Many people seem disappointed with this line, and it seems like a hell of a pheno hunt to find something worth getting worked up about. I enjoy earthy, piney and especially incense or sandalwood type tastes and odors. Am I barking up the wrong tree here and should I look into different strains instead? I'm wondering if any of you have grown this out and been especially pleased. Anyone grow it out consistently?

edit: I should say that I've spoken with a member here over on another site and he (she?) gave me some good info on this. I'm just the type of guy who wants to hear from more than one person, so should you come across this (you would know who you are) I appreciate your thoughts and don't want you to be offended by my continuing to seek out opinions. Yours are greatly appreciated and again, let me know how your clients like your NL#5H when you get it out there.

Side question for anyone now that I think of it. It seems like there is quite a lot of variation within MNS strains. How consistent are these genetics generally?

Last edited:
If you like haze/racy heady weed and a choice of lemon/lime/spicy/floral/woody smells then you can't really beat NL5 Haze. I am sure there are seedlines that will give you racier bud but not with the yield, vigour and choice of flavours that NL5 Haze offers. If you like weed like Super Silver, Amnesia, Lemon, Jack Herer etc this is what they were bred from. There is variation in flavour, bud shape and a little bit in flowering time.

Hi lettuce!

I got a Autumn Cleaning Pack of the NL5 x Haze and will look deeper into it, as I really hope to find some coated, rock hard, good yielding Plants for terpene- extraction and a row of extraction and preservation experiments. I do think the NL5 & Haze has some very great options for commercials as well as conisseurs.

I have smoked it a few times in the Dam (maybe grown by a forum member) and was always pleased by it.

After testing a few strains of Shantibaba, I think I can say most of the oldschool- strains are winners of their classes, if you compare them to other Seedbanks.
If it comes to selection these guys know what they are doing. Combining experience with the right touch of intuition.

I'll do a log of the NL5 & Haze cross, but it will need propably till Mid to 3/4 of next year, depending on germ and male- rates, hopefully with good results.

Let me know if you get a pack so we can create a indipendent thread together if interested, giving out a evaluation and sharing experience for others interested in this strain.

Best wishes,

T.

Last edited:
Old school genetics, so many gems to be found. I pulled out 3 bottles (all that's left) in your honor this morning. Grown last May, they haved cured nicely. Chunky buds with 3 different smells- a hard choice. I picked the fueled, spicy one.
After 3 tokes I set it down in hopes of still being able to maintain some discernment. Several minutes later a trembling in my shoulders, noticing the difficulty in typing. What the hell, I'll take 3 more tokes- almost half way now...
I'm leaving the launchpad so quickly I feel I've left my shoes behind. A bit racy now, yet there's a clarity this side of noia. Obviously made for dancing and activity. Tinkering with the inside of a watch is not a good idea. 3 more tokes after 20 minutes. Hands not made for typing. Rechecking spelling good idea. Body feel loosy goosy. Tai Chi feels good, well maybe the speeded up version haha. Ecstatic dance works tho. Lots of creativity and a good inertia buster. GOOD MORNING TO YOU!!
What can I say at this point as I wakey bakey on a Saturday morn? Old school genetics, so many gems to be found. Get some tis shit brah.

Aloha nui
M

Old school genetics, so many gems to be found. I pulled out 3 bottles (all that's left) in your honor this morning. Grown last May, they haved cured nicely. Chunky buds with 3 different smells- a hard choice. I picked the fueled, spicy one.
After 3 tokes I set it down in hopes of still being able to maintain some discernment. Several minutes later a trembling in my shoulders, noticing the difficulty in typing. What the hell, I'll take 3 more tokes- almost half way now...
I'm leaving the launchpad so quickly I feel I've left my shoes behind. A bit racy now, yet there's a clarity this side of noia. Obviously made for dancing and activity. Tinkering with the inside of a watch is not a good idea. 3 more tokes after 20 minutes. Hands not made for typing. Rechecking spelling good idea. Body feel loosy goosy. Tai Chi feels good, well maybe the speeded up version haha. Ecstatic dance works tho. Lots of creativity and a good inertia buster. GOOD MORNING TO YOU!!
What can I say at this point as I wakey bakey on a Saturday morn? Old school genetics, so many gems to be found. Get some tis shit brah.

Aloha nui
M

Haha, nice testamonial Musashi, seeing you dance arround in creative Tai Chi- Kung Fu style. I'm with you buddy :D

Oh, Mr. T the story doesn't end there. I managed to get a few chores done in town before I came back home and spied the other two jars. It doesn't take much imagination to figure out what happened next. BATTLE OF THE JARS!! The rest of the day was a happy medicated blur. Oh yea, I've rediscovered some more persy stash that made the ground shake several times for me yesterday. But don't take my word for it. Get going on them seeds brah!

Cool runnin brahs
M

I'm a new grower and trying to get psyched into buying some NL5 x haze but I can't because the reports are only so-so. Many people seem disappointed with this line, and it seems like a hell of a pheno hunt to find something worth getting worked up about. I enjoy earthy, piney and especially incense or sandalwood type tastes and odors. Am I barking up the wrong tree here and should I look into different strains instead? I'm wondering if any of you have grown this out and been especially pleased. Anyone grow it out consistently?

edit: I should say that I've spoken with a member here over on another site and he (she?) gave me some good info on this. I'm just the type of guy who wants to hear from more than one person, so should you come across this (you would know who you are) I appreciate your thoughts and don't want you to be offended by my continuing to seek out opinions. Yours are greatly appreciated and again, let me know how your clients like your NL#5H when you get it out there.

Side question for anyone now that I think of it. It seems like there is quite a lot of variation within MNS strains. How consistent are these genetics generally?

I think NL5 x Hz is one of the most underrated strains ever. If you find a good pheno there will be no looking back. Yield, potency, flavour and high. It has it all and has to go down as one of the classics and perhaps one of the most important strains ever bred.

I think NL5 x Hz is one of the most underrated strains ever. If you find a good pheno there will be no looking back. Yield, potency, flavour and high. It has it all and has to go down as one of the classics and perhaps one of the most important strains ever bred.

G `day Glow

I agree NL Hz is good stuff .
Just be aware this version is a remake . Not 1980s NL Hz .

I grew a few when it was re released .
Big yields . Good hybrid buzz .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

G `day Glow

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Cheers for sharing. The re release is pretty damned impressive!

G `day Glow

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Yeah, he don't have the original clone only of NL#5 if it's still alive Sensi Seeds has the original. Pretty much everything from Nevil was reworked I'm pretty sure Shanti said he only got seeds from Nevil to work with but he did do a pretty good job IMO. Of course I was born in the 80's so I have no clue about the originals. LOL

I sugguested to one of my close friends to grow NL5 x Haze after reading some of the reports Nev gave the strain back in the day. I think the rework of this strain would be pretty different from the one that nev speaks about as he says its the best strain he has ever laid his hands on(Has Everything). Anyway he culled nl5hze all 12 after 5 weeks and moved back to SSH:confused:

Wouldn't the Original NL5xHaze be with sensi?? from nevs time there. This one certainly splits opinions

Last edited:
Culled after 5 weeks!?!? Quite a premature decision :eek:
What a waste of 5 weeks precious bloom space, should've just rode it out until the end.

Just finished my first run, all done in 10 weeks, nice pheno spread, good yeild, flavors and highs.

That's what i said to him, All he could bemoan was it's not a patch on super silver etc etc smell, vigor stretch and should of got rid of the nl5xhaze earlier, personally i think you have to consider the selection process with nl5haze then take it from there. I looked back through the threads a while back and i can remember the way Nev spoke about nl5haze, that's why i was so shocked and sure they can't be talking about the same nl5haze. topheavy420 would you describe it as the holygrail?

I've only just begun initial sampling so I'm not in a position to really put too much judgement on them yet. So far they're all very nice, one is well above average. I'll do a proper report after curing :)

And yes I assume selection is key here

Last edited:
Wouldn't the Original NL5xHaze be with sensi?? from nevs time there. This one certainly splits opinions

If it's still alive. A bunch of the Dutch companies got raided and lost a lot of parents. I'm sure they have at least a decent F2 but for the money they want for 10 seeds I'd rather do Shantibaba's version.

Can't do a very good selection with 10 seeds and you can't order direct in the USA so you can have some low germination rates. All the not so popular strains I've gotten from seedbanks have not germinated that good. Pretty much if the breeder don't sell direct I don't bother because I don't like gambling. Paid like $100 for a pack of BCBD The Purps not a single seed popped everything else 100% in the same order. They said they would replace my order I emailed the address never heard anything back probably 6 years now. Lol

Yeah, he don't have the original clone only of NL#5 if it's still alive Sensi Seeds has the original. Pretty much everything from Nevil was reworked I'm pretty sure Shanti said he only got seeds from Nevil to work with but he did do a pretty good job IMO. Of course I was born in the 80's so I have no clue about the originals. LOL

There was no such thing as the clone only in my part of the world. Like everything you'd start from seed (lots of seeds, not a pack of 10) and carefully select a special pheno. The genetics now (NL5 x Hz) are very similar to that original pheno we had originally back in the nineties. And yes the original seeds were from Sensi. Latest stock being from SB.

And yes what I am saying is the MNS "version" is very similar seed wise to the original sensi seeds stock. I guess one thing I find amusing is too often I see growers talking about popping e.g. 3 seeds and then harping on about how they were disappointed. Fact is if you have a complex poly hybrid you need to start a large number of seeds and carefully select your phenos from this group.

Last edited:

I've been bidding in the auctions on this strain without success to date, but EB's comment above sums up a lot of what I've been "reading between the lines" about Nl5Hz, specifically that it's simply not as good as it used to be. We all know the stellar reputation of Nl5Hz. Nevil's warning in the 1989 Seed Bank catalog about possible lots of bodily functions. The consensus that the legendary NYC uptown haze or piff was probably a tightly held Nl5Hz cut. Cannibus cup wins. Countless rave reviews. Etc.

But I think EB gently reaffirms the point when he refers to the effect of the more recent Nl5Hz release as a "good hybrid buzz." I'd expect weed that can make you shit your pants to be more noteworthy than that. I also note that quite a few grow logs in this subforum are either silent or somewhat neutral about the effect of the plants grown. Please don't get me wrong, this isn't a dis on Mr. Nice Seedbank or Shanti, and I know that a lot of really nice plants come out of Nl5Hz grows, but it appears to me that the strain is not what it once was, at least in the effect department, which is what I'm after.

The reason I ask is because I've found what appears to be a reputable source of Nl5Hz that is currently F4 IBL from Seed Bank of Holland F1 seeds grown out in 1991. Am I going to have a better shot at a really nice, hazey plant going that route instead of MNS?

Thanks and most sincere respect to all.

Last edited:
This strain is on my list(with Neville haze and other),anyone had grow it recently?shanti is a good breeder,with ace and cbg,but more info and experience are welcome...Thanks

Back