Has anyone else found a phenotype with 3 true leaves?

chicohomegrown

I got a pack of the Nl5 Haze a few months ago and sprouted them indoors, they are outdoors now and looking lovely. I have found 1 plant that has 3 true leaves as opposed to 2. And after being topped it had 3 side branches come out of each internode instead of 2. This is the first time I have ever seen a plant do this, and was wondering if anyone else had found this phenotype in the NL5 Haze? It seems to me to be a favorable characteristic, but we will wait and see. Ill try to post some pictures later tonight. Thanks in advance or any and all help.

agree with PMB that its common, ive seen it from many strains including quite a few on offer from MNS

Yep pretty common there are several ways they.can occur. The condition is called polypoloidy, or Triploid is the.most common. The rare part is finding a keeper one. There are other mutations as well.

Yep pretty common there are several ways they.can occur. The condition is called polypoloidy, or Triploid is the.most common. The rare part is finding a keeper one. There are other mutations as well.

that is no correct whorled phyllotaxy, Like plandtmanbee said. Ive had maybe 8-10 of these over the years. I've not seen anything particularly special about them as far as medicinal qualities. No extra yield or anything like that. Normal m/f expression ratios.

that is no correct whorled phyllotaxy, Like plandtmanbee said. Ive had maybe 8-10 of these over the years. I've not seen anything particularly special about them as far as medicinal qualities. No extra yield or anything like that. Normal m/f expression ratios.

you never seen extra yield ? 3 branches per node instead of 2 and no extra yield ? ive noticed the increase

No you are wrong. I love the mutants of the cannabis world and just might know a thing or 2. The mutations are similar and in fact known to occur simultaneously. By They are not the same and you are wrong.

Whorled phyllotaxy is relevant to the arrangement of leaves and nodes and the growing pattern in which they form, which looks like a spiral staircase, but the plant does not necessarily have to be a triploid for this to occur.

Last edited:
Also I've seen yield increase on a small percentage, but in comparison to just growing large yielding stains I would say the increase is inconsequential.

Whorled Phyllotaxy is correct. I’ve had numerous and a lot of times they turn out male. Here’s a small female. I don’t believe there is a big difference in yield other than maybe an increase in buds due to structure but not necessarily an increase in weight.

“The three patterns of leaf arrangement on stems in angiosperms are alternate, opposite (paired), and whorled. In alternate-leaved plants, the leaves are single at each node and borne along the stem alternately in an ascending spiral. In opposite-leaved plants, the leaves are paired at a node and borne opposite to each other. A plant has whorled leaves when there are three or more equally spaced leaves at a node.” Encyclopaedia Britannica

Edit: I also pollinated the girl pictured with 2 different males. Was curious to see if the trait shows up in any of the offspring. Haven’t run any yet, too much other stuff going on.

Attachments

• Whorled Below.jpg
    Whorled Below.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Whorled 7.20.12.jpg
    Whorled 7.20.12.jpg
    374.1 KB · Views: 31
  • T 1.jpg
    T 1.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 30
  • Tr 1.jpg
    Tr 1.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
I think it's called trifoliate.

Whorled phyllotaxy is when the nodes occur in a circular arrangement rather than an opposite one.

In my experience it is one of the more common "mutations".

Last edited:
It might be a mutation but probably more along the lines of something being triggered to promote the growth pattern. MJ plants a lot of times out grow it and revert back to opposite or alternating. And most times the lateral branching coming from the nodes do not show it.

Actually, it seems cannabis can have all three major classifications of leaf phyllotaxy, alternating, opposite, and whorled. Whorled as what’s being discussed here, opposite with indica types and immature plants, and alternating as plants mature particularly with sativas.

It might be a mutation but probably more along the lines of something being triggered to promote the growth pattern. MJ plants a lot of times out grow it and revert back to opposite or alternating. And most times the lateral branching coming from the nodes do not show it.

Actually, it seems cannabis can have all three major classifications of leaf phyllotaxy, alternating, opposite, and whorled. Whorled as what’s being discussed here, opposite with indica types and immature plants, and alternating as plants mature particularly with sativas.

yeah, ive only ever had one not grow out of the 3 stems per node, and thats from having lots over the years

im actually growing one right now that just went 12/12 yesterday and was rather large before the top and then tops had been taken for clones, it kept the trait until id done that

im thinking of breeding for the trait as ive always seen a decent increase in yield with these freaks lol

my only reference is Wikipedia and GrowWiki which both show and explain whorled phytollaxy as having the leaves coming out on the stem.

"The basic phyllotactic patterns are opposite, or alternate = spiral. Leaves may also be whorled if several leaves arise, or appear to arise, from the same level (at the same node) on a stem..." Wikipedia

If this is incorrect is is a well written and referenced entry. I'm sorry if I'm not wrong. :eek:

Thank you to those whom added the vocabulary and sources. My statement is not nearly enough in detail as it could be. But it's the gist of it. Genetics is complicated with lots of gray areas, mutations and unusual genotypes even more so.

yeah, ive only ever had one not grow out of the 3 stems per node, and thats from having lots over the years

im actually growing one right now that just went 12/12 yesterday and was rather large before the top and then tops had been taken for clones, it kept the trait until id done that

im thinking of breeding for the trait as ive always seen a decent increase in yield with these freaks lol

I have grown few myself, and a few different variations of the conditions. They seem to yield well but I've never seen a marginal increase. You HAV to take into consideration several factors, did you baby it? Was it. Large plant and consume more space? How did the other plants around it yield? Etc.

IMO the true advantage is seen from them is speed, because in the same amount of time a diploid plant grows a triploid plant will have , roughly, 1/3 more mass.

I personally have been breeding for the trait for a while. I have seen an increase in ratio, but not 100% I have yet to pop the next generation, which should have more than last. And I still grow the female triploid it all started from cause she's a bad bitch. Bubble gum smell and taste, we yield and Big old popcorn nugs all over, I call her trigum.

Tritium is an f1, wwxbgum(a true transgender), to produce optional triploid(trigum) that was bred back with the bgum pollen b4 it died. Should be able to find a tri in that hopefully to breed to the original trigum and make something interesting and consultant. I also have a friend sending me some prodigy of another triploid prone strain/cross that I hope to incorporate as well in addition to f2s both fem and the using trigum.

The f2s produce triploids and I've found quite a few but, none have been up to par and most where females.

I think you may have trouble breeding it in as it seems to be one of the possible expressions of some phenotypes. Many plants that exhibit the trait then change form to a more usual alternate or opposite expressions.

But if you do good on ya!

BTW triploid is something different. It's an unusual chromosomal arrangement.

Last edited:
IMO the true advantage is seen from them is speed, because in the same amount of time a diploid plant grows a triploid plant will have , roughly, 1/3 more mass.

You keep saying triploid which would mean it has an extra set of chromosomes, 3 instead of 2. If it is a polyploid then why do some plants grow out of it? If the whorled condition is the result of extra chromosomes wouldn’t the plant continue to grow with that phyllotaxy regardless, ie maturation, clones, ect. There are also discussions about triploidy causing sterility, because of the problems it creates in meiosis. Any of the plants with this trait I have pollinated have been fertile. Not picking on you just trying to pass along some info.

The plant I pictured earlier was of interest to me because of its structure. I felt it would lend to SOG type cultivation if you could nail it down.

All trifoliate's are polypoloids. The only way to get that extra node is through the extra chromosome.

All plants as they mature will begin to grow a single node at a time. But you will see the trait in bid formation and when new branches begin. A lot of that factor is environmental and has a lot to do with spectrum and intensity, as well as the stage of growth. I often has clone vegging healthy revert to an equal node growth pattern.

But the genotype you are actually breeding for in the trait to create offspring with more than one chromosome, And in the pattern of triplicate plants.

All trifoliate's are polypoloids. The only way to get that extra node is through the extra chromosome.

Cannabis is a diploid plant in nature. :) I really don't want to argue, but there are enough misnomers about weed.

Triploid can happen in plants that are abused with cholechine or other toxic chems but the polyploidy is not passed on. Or at least has never been showed to pass on.

Last edited:
Back