Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS strains and grow diaries > 5. Strain Base > Ortega

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2016, 07:49 AM

Default Ortega and Hermies 2015? - Any experience by you guys?

Howdy folks,

I am planning on growing some Ortega soon and read through the "Herm City" thread.

Apparently the consensus (by morphote I believe it was) was ultimately that they hermied without human error but that it did not ruin the potency or anything else but the smoke was still above and beyond expectation etc. etc.

The line of thought that "hermying is not the end of the world" and hermied plants can still produce primo ganja suits me. Got no issue with that.

But I was wondering if others have experienced the hermie trait with Ortega as I will grow it together with other strains which are not supposed to get seeded unplanned.

So if the Ortega is still known to hermie in 2015/2016, I would hold off until I can make a pure Ortega run. If they hermie and pollinate each other, at least I know it's all Ortega and not randomized crosses.

Or was that an isolated incident/bad pack/unknown circumstances with morphotes "Herm City" situation?

Stay frosty my friends

Broseidon out
Old 01-04-2016, 11:47 AM

Default My experience with Ortega.

Hi Broseidon ,i ran Ortega once in 2014 and once in 2015.
Everything went well .Flowering time is 65-70 days , a little longer than the official description. Otherwise ,it's just happiness !
It's definitely one of my favorite Mr. Nice strains and I will also grow this year !
Peace
Old 01-04-2016, 01:35 PM

Apparently the consensus (by morphote I believe it was) was ultimately that they hermied without human error but that it did not ruin the potency or anything else but the smoke was still above and beyond expectation etc. etc.
A consensus is not one person's opinion, it is more than one person.

The line of thought that "hermying is not the end of the world" and hermied plants can still produce primo ganja suits me. Got no issue with that.

Hermy prone seeds/clones totally suck, and I believe I can get a consensus for that.

I'd need more than this thread to convince me that Ortega is a poor strain. I've read a lot of good things from good growers.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:23 PM

People gonna believe what they wanna believe.
It sometimes brings out the worst in us...

Where's the trust brotherman?
I grew an Ortega last summer that'd put hair on your chest.

M
Old 01-05-2016, 12:14 PM

Oh I am not saying that "I don't trust in Ortega" or sth.

I bought 2 packs and would grow them hermy or not.

Just wanted to know if others had the same experience as Morphote or what his name was/is and if so anything recent.

Just so I know if I should expect hermies. Which again, I wouldn't mind, I would just make it a pure Ortega run.

With you guys' feedback I feel confident to run the Ortega along other strains.

@Shovelhandle
My bad, I should have said "conclusion" instead of consensus.
Engrish no es mi primero language.

@ruzeone
Thanks bro.
Ya I don't worry too much about listed flowering times.
In my opinion it's an indicator, not a set number. +- 10 days seems absolutely reasonable to me.

Last edited by Broseidon; 01-05-2016 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 03:20 AM

Well when you figure they sell like 1 pack a week at the auction alone and only one guy years ago screamed herm city, lol " I'm the greatest grower in the world never make mistakes " I tend to think someone fucked up otherwise we would have a bunch of people bitching about hermies.
Old 02-02-2016, 03:34 AM

I would anticipate hermies and then therefore be vigilant and check the plants regularly...be sure you have the room dialed in and you will find out for yourself whether its the genes or the grower...i know morphote is a mighty fine grower however that does not mean mistakes were not made...i had a pack in the fridge for over a year and feel the strain requires more attention and effort that i have had available...try em out and let us know! I think that we don't hear much about the line because there are so many new ones with very little documentation, strains available for almost 3-5yrs have few reviews like the Rock N Roll Series, NL5xAfg, Ortega and a few other new ones...i keep waiting for new reports to help decide what to do next however i may have to be the first on the frontier with some of these lines i have in the fridge
Old 02-02-2016, 09:26 AM

Will do, just will take time.

I set my sights on "Shit" for my first run to get back into the groove. But I wanted to run 50/50 Shit/Ortega. Still a bit undecided, might go with ASH or something instead.

We will see, reports will come in a few months.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:21 AM

I enjoyed growing ortega, always wanted to try it as one of the finest pics I've ever seen of any plant ever was this strain 20 years back.

From seed I grew the plants to as big as I could allow and trimmed all lower growth, they grew out fine with no ladyboyz as did one run of cuts i did .
Didn't really fit well in my small grow so let her slide away.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:36 AM

I also got some feedback by other grows via pm and other boards or by mail and such.

The opinions are unanimous: While Ortega can be a bit finicky and should be given the necessary attention (trimming the lower branches has been mentioned several times), hermies are not an inherent issue with the strain.
It also will provide what is advertised and there is definitely knock-out indica to be found as well as overall desirable gems of plants.

I'm very much looking forward to grow out my 2 packs of Ortega but it is on a waiting list behind a bunch of other strains that will come first.