Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS strains and grow diaries > 5. Strain Base > NL5 x Haze

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2017, 10:49 PM

Thumbs up 5Hz Diary: Medical Selection

Hello everybody! We're in the process of selecting a female to be used in our indoor, soil medical grow.

Using the paper towel method, we germinated 39 5Hz seeds, la Shantibaba - all 39 had sprouted within 48 hours!

We planted them in 'Roots Original Potting Soil' in individual party cups. We aim to transplant them before the leaves are as wide as the pots.

They are currently sitting under a Slimstar 300w T5, where they'll veg until transplant in a week or two. We will eventually flower them in a room under HID lighting.

I'd love to hear any thoughts, and any suggestions or advice from those who have grown and smoked her before!

Peace

Last edited by thefoetus; 09-19-2017 at 06:28 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:09 AM

Great start! Just did a selection on a pack, so here's a few things I noticed.

The squat, wide leaved NL learners all had a few pollen sacks near the base toward the stalk, so I'd make sure to prune that area well on those phenotypes.

I only got 1 extreme haze type out of 12, her flowers were sparse with large, hard bracts. She smelled of tropical fruit and champagne. Super clear electric high.

The rest were somewhere inbetween, and nothing greatly stood out until after the cure. Its was one of the better yeilders and was uber sticky, but what stood out was the fierce cat piss smell. Straight ammonia. This plant was straight toxic in the potency department. Just absurdly strong.

Don't be too quick to cull before you've sampled is the best advice I could give. Only the extreme haze one was fussy with the nutes otherwise they were very easy plants to grow.

Good luck man, I'll be watching along
Old 09-09-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topheavy420 View Post
Great start! Just did a selection on a pack, so here's a few things I noticed.
Thanks for your comments, TopHeavy420. We're definitely looking for a pheno on the Haze side. I used to regularly buy Mango Haze from the Sheeba Coffeeshop in Amsterdam. It was beautiful - a well balanced, soaring high while somewhat grounding.

I've tried maybe 3 different Mango phenos in this part of the US - one particular pheno was less resinous, but smelled like dry mango and smoked like a 90% Sativa! It was more sativa than anything available in the area, including 'Pure Haze', Acapulco Gold, Purple Haze, Maui Wowie etc. For this reason I believe Neville's Haze genetics to be a divine gift. That he bought and germinated thousands of unviable seed in order to find just 2 Male plants, A & C, adds another layer of magic. The world might otherwise never have heard of Haze and we might have to settle for less psychoactive offerings.

Am I right in thinking that the current Mr Nice 5Hz offing is a direct cross between a NL5 mother, from Nevil's old seed, and a clone of the original Haze C male? If this is truly the case, I feel incredibly humbled!

I'm hoping to find the magic Amsterdam pheno with high resin, fruity stench and both NL and Haze traits. The cat piss toxicity is welcome.
Old 09-10-2017, 12:33 PM

Hello And welcome th ftus , its good to see people growing 5hz . I grew And selected this strain lot , to spot the good one , look for the 13/14 weeks phenos, you can find easely a super plant does have all :smell /extrem yield/and the imcomparable haze high. You can also look the 5hz and c5 pics of yosemite Sam ,i can post pics of my pheno if it can help you.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by la resistance verte View Post
i can post pics of my pheno if it can help you.
Hi la resistance verte, thanks for the welcome! I'd love to see pics of your pheno, please post away. I am very excited by the 5hz. I'll also check out Yosemite Sam's work.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:44 PM

Default Pure PAR tubes, day 5 photos

38 of our 39 sprouts grew into seedlings within 1-2 days of planting. Very pleased with this ratio

We invested in a second T5 Unit, (Envirogrow 4ft 8 tube) and, after some research, invested in 8 x Agromax Pure PAR tubes.
https://growagromax.com/products/4ft-pure-series/ Anyone have experience with this range?

The youngsters are now growing under 16 x 54w tubes: 50% Agromax 6400k / 50% Agromax Pure PAR. I'm considering also mixing in a couple of 5400k tubes, any thoughts?

They're elevated around 8" from the canopy. This light spectrum reminds me of some of the LED grows I've seen.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:42 AM

I have been growing out and breeding my own Med-Rec Northern Lights off and on since the 1980's. One of my small breeding projects my friends and I are working on for ourselves. Based on your chosen selection criteria a production clone for your med grow should be easy enough to find. Good luck.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:41 AM

Howdy Bro,

chiming in to wish you good luck and all the best on your endeavor.

And also with a question:
I am currently doing a selection run for Critical Mass. Popped 48, all germed and grew into seedlings. I killed 7 seedlings in the meantime through dumb stuff but the remaining 41 are going strong and I am at the point of cloning them.

Now I wanted to top them either way so I will take the tops as clones.
But here comes my question:

How are you going to go about the whole cloning and selection thing?

I am considering three methods:
1) Take 2 clones from each plant and root them. When rooted, flower 1 batch of clones to determine which plants are female then transplant those into flowering pots and flower. Discard all but 1 male. Maintain 1 batch of "copies" from all females and the 1 male until all females are harvested, cured and sampled, then select. This is probably the most thorough way to go about it. Drawback is the high number of plants (123 plants at one point is nothing to sneeze at).

2) Take 1 clone from each plant, then transplant all plants to flower pots and flower them. When males show, discard them and replace with other plant from veg room until all spots are taken up by females. Discard all males and clones of males safe for 1 to keep in clone form. Harvest, cure and sample females, make selection.
Drawback is that the plants will get staggered with regard to flowering time and will finish potentially weeks apart. This could somewhat be compensated by turning the grow into a perpetual setup and immediately replacing the harvested plants by new ones.

3) Take 1 clone from each plant, when rooted, flower those to determine sex. Then transplant all females to flowering pots, discard all males but 1 and flower them. Once flowered, harvest but leave 1 or two bud sites/nodes and start to reveg the plants. I had good experience with reveging, it takes a while but it has worked every time for me so far. After curing and sampling, make selection and cut new clones from selected female to create a mother.
Drawback is that the reveg plants take up a lot of space in the veg room and until the cure and sampling is complete, I would have to reveg a whole bunch of plants. So I likely would have to reveg them in the flowering room which couldn't be used to flower others in the meantime.

I think you see my conundrum and I would be very interested in how you plan to go about this issue as you seem to have everything planned out for this grow.

Stay frosty

Broseidon
Old 09-13-2017, 12:55 PM

My methods are closer to number two than the other ones.

Revegging works better with some lines/plants than others. IMO/E sativa and sativa dominant crosses do better than indica type plants.

Best of luck to you!
Old 09-19-2017, 05:52 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseidon View Post
How are you going to go about the whole cloning and selection thing?
Hi Broseidon, thanks for the message brother. I'm smoking Critical Mass right now, it is a truly beautiful strain. The buds have a sweet smell, light green color with dark orange pistils and plenty of crystals. It has (at least temporarily) replaced NL5 as my staple indica. Good luck with your selection!

I had been planning to clone them all in veg, flower the originals and remove each male as soon as identified. Do you think it is better to keep the original seedling selection and clone directly from her (for future runs), or is it just as good to take future clones from a clone of the keeper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantManBee
My methods are closer to number two than the other ones.
Hi PlantManBee, would taking clones from the original females after flowering, once they show sex, be classed as re-vegging?