Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS strains and grow diaries > 5. Strain Base > NL5 x Haze

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2017, 09:39 PM

Default NL5 x Haze Whole Pack - No Females.... :(

Hey all, im new to the forum side of the community just thought id get involved!
So i got some NL#5 x haze from the auction and unfortunately whole pack has yielded a couple runts and all males.
I must say, they were impressively uniform and all looked the same. Just a shame they are all males.

Anyone else had any luck with this strain? Im gutted as its something iv wanted to grow for ages but i doubt i would part with money again.

On the plus side mango x widow has given me one stocky, bushy female which stinks so far at 5 weeks veg. The rest have yet to show apart from one which is identical but is showing male claw type pre flowers.

First time with Mr Nice so far I am impressed with how uniform the plants are. Just not happy with no females from a whole pack but i suppose its a game of luck at times. Previously had a uk lemon cut and did some tga gear amongst others.
About time i moved over to the original breeder!
Feel free to chime in!
Peace
Old 08-26-2017, 02:01 AM

So out of 18 or more seeds you got all males..mmm
Dude you should buy a lottery ticket
Old 08-26-2017, 04:52 AM

Recently I've had 6 of 7 G13skunk be male 7 of 8 nev Skunk male, got one female of each and 8-8 master kaze all female, lol..
Old 08-26-2017, 04:54 AM

Wow...
Ive always got 50:50 every time maybe one or two each way...
Old 08-26-2017, 01:20 PM

I also get 50/50 just about every time.

There must be something causing this... I I know there are theories that germ temps can influence the gender of the seeds but don't know if that's ever been proven. SubCool thinks it has to do with how far the roots can grow down before hitting the bottom.

Who knows!

Sorry for your luck
Jake

Obey the nature of things, and you will walk freely and undisturbed.

Last edited by blowingupjake; 08-26-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:26 PM

I'd like to know which date you planted the seeds, maybe tell us about temps and humidity if you watch that stuff. Also what kind of lights, colour?
Old 08-26-2017, 02:16 PM

Apparently a few years back dutch passion completed a "study" into germination conditions affecting m/f ratios...they were focussing on how to produce the highest number of females. They found that lower temperatures (18to23degC I think).. light high in blue (+5000k).. daylight hours around 14hrs..moderate moisture levels.. with higher levels of nitrogen and equal amounts of P & K (3-1-1 for example) in the seed bed..promoted the maximum amount of females...im running on memory here but im pretty sure thats about it. A quick google would uncover the study..
TBH I have tried this and found still get 50 50..maybe 55 45 m to f at best...What I do know is that if it is too hot..dry..poor quality light.. long 18hr days and you give them a hard time.. I have ended up with more males. Pretty much you create mid season conditions..they have the tendancy to be boys. If you think about their life cycle and the changing conditions as the season passes alot of things start to make sense from an evolutionary perspective...
Food for thought...
Old 08-26-2017, 03:17 PM

IMO we can alter the ratios with favorable conditions. Unrestricted root zone early is the one variable that I have seen what I interpret as positive influence on female numbers. In the old, "original" grow bible by Frank and Rosenthall they give multiple parameters for increasing your odds. IMO it is still the most thoughtful book on the subject.

BTW, as far as I know it is impossible to breed an 100 percent male line of seeds. Best of luck.
Old 08-26-2017, 05:21 PM

The probability of getting 16 males out of 16 seeds is 0.0000015, our about 1 in 66,000. If we assume the couple of runts you referred to means 2 girls out of 16 seeds, then the probability of that outcome increases to 0.0018, or about 1 in 560. Either way, you should go buy a lottery ticket.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:22 PM

Thanks for the replys. You know what I dontknow what happened. I used t5 lights, small pots and 24hr light schedule maybe that influenced it.
It was hot at that time as its summer and im inthe attic so that would have played a part.
I did read somewhere that if you take a cutting before three weeks then you can affetively get different sexed plants from the same mother, dependingonconditions etc . Not sure if anyone has tried, interesting idea though!
I can usually tell sex by growth but Im sure I wasnt too hasty in culling any. They were all lanky and very similar. Most of them showed sex and ones that never was gone as they were literally showing all the same growth patterns.

I just popped la nina and waiting on ssh so im going to hope that my luck comes in next time!

Thanks for the comments. Not quite sure how to respont to everyone individually