Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS strains and grow diaries > 5. Strain Base > NL5 x Afghan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2012, 05:49 AM

Default Advice on growing NL5xAfghan

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction with some advice. I'm looking into ordering some nl5xafghan seeds and was wondering if I could use my current setup.

The grow space is 4x4. I run a sealed room with a ac connected to a chhc1 controller. Co2 is also supplied by tank and controlled via the chhc. I also have a dehumidifier if need be. I basically run four 5 gallon bucket rdwc with a 5 gallon reservoir on the side. I have them under a 600w. I place a 4x4 screen 20 inches above the buckets and scrog.

My question is would nl5xafghan be a good candidate for my setup? Would I have to lower the screen to accommodate it or would i be able to grow them out to 20" let them fill the screen 75% and flip them to flower? I grow a indica dom white widow and she thrives with this system. Also how is the stretch on the nl5xafghan? I'd like to have a final height of 4 feet. Would it be possible with this strain? Thanks
Old 03-17-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkremy View Post
Your set up sounds great. For anything. I would expect variation from the seeds so they will all not be the same but if you spend some time finding a keeper I bet it would make it that much easier. I just started 10 nl5Xafghan seedlings and I can already see some suitable differences in them. I would run soil or something with more plants till I found my keeper then go back to dwc or just use dwc all the way it's up to you ! The only way you ever find out is to try.
Thank you I'm going to see if i can get a cut of this within the next month or so. If not I'm definitely going to look into soil (I only know hydro) so I can find a keeper. It was recommended that i run about 8 pots under the light and find a good pheno. I think i will try that thanks. Is growing them taller better or do indicas pretty much yield the same after a certain height. Would I be growing them too tall? Sorry never have grown a strait indica, only hybrids. Thanks again. Happy growing
Old 03-17-2012, 03:48 PM

I found little to no stretch with these, so to yield well you really need to veg for a while.
I'd recommend running 10-12 seeds to find 5-6 female's to select from. You will find some heavy indica stone in this strain.....
Peace
BL
Old 03-17-2012, 04:38 PM
Chana Masala

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaReefer View Post
Thank you I'm going to see if i can get a cut of this within the next month or so. If not I'm definitely going to look into soil (I only know hydro) so I can find a keeper. It was recommended that i run about 8 pots under the light and find a good pheno. I think i will try that thanks. Is growing them taller better or do indicas pretty much yield the same after a certain height. Would I be growing them too tall? Sorry never have grown a strait indica, only hybrids. Thanks again. Happy growing
High AR, welcome. Blkremy and Billy gave you good advice. It is about selection for us that carry the passion.

Just wanted you to know that NL5xAff is not a straight Indy brother. Tis a wonderful hybrid that we are lucky to have access to. NL5xAff, Nordle and Ortega would be in my humble opinion the closet pure indy plants offered here at MNS, but they are all hybrids.

I wish SB offered a hash plant straight up. But he is the Hz man.

A new world will open up if you sacrifice some yield in the beginning with regard to your selections. Again, you are starting a new journey. Good luck.

Maybe you will consider a thread.

Take care,

CM
Old 03-17-2012, 04:58 PM

I thought SCROG was supposed to work best with stretchy strains that quickly fill the screen and stretch to long colas on the flip?
If I was working with a low - zero stretch pheno, I would tend more towards SOG.
This would allow you to minimize veg time that is not growing harvestable flower sites.
Faster turnaround in the long run, but requires a one time investment in time to grow out your seed plants to where you can collectively get enough cuts to fill your 4x4 SOG (time you would have spent filling your screen anyway.)

SCROG looks very attractive to me for all the sativa hybrids waiting their turn on my dance card. It would be great with my sativa pheno MKxSks.

With your experience AquaReef, is there an ideal height for the screen, or more kind of a default to start with and then adjust as you get to know a strain better?
How did you come up with your 20" screen height number? Assuming you top the plant at least twice before it reaches the screen, right?
Just starting to think about this. Sorry for the sidetrack in your thread :-)
Old 03-17-2012, 05:33 PM

i notice that this hybrid tho in name appears full indy is quite actually a hybrid as the strain page says NL5xAfg but has 25%Sk...so is it a NL5xAfgSk hybrid using the Nordle as male or a completely different plant altogether...i was disapointed with my NL5xAfg but a lot of people have found winners...i had one that didn't stretch and one that more than tripled so there's variation no doubt, I like Nordle better, but the NL5xAfg had a euphoric feeling you don't find often in strong indica's, reminded me of Hashberry a bit in terms of pleasent but nothing OVER BEARING from my experience

EDIT: I understood ortega as a full afghani but might be incorrect, it does mention that Ortega is basically full Afghan.

Last edited by godislove; 03-17-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:10 PM

intersting point about the 25% skunk...
I thought that was a typo as mine had zero skunk traits, but plenty of raw indy potency, which the nordle is famous for.... So I suppose that figures.....
But as we know this strain is an f1 of nl5 and Afg (maybe afgTxSk1 IBL) so there will be variation, so selection is key... With a bit of skunk you may find an ideal scrog plant, but only with a selection run....
Peace
BL
Old 03-17-2012, 10:54 PM
Banned

are you a first time grower if not you need no advise the stuff practically grows itself
its really a straight forward strain
Old 03-19-2012, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Liar View Post
I found little to no stretch with these, so to yield well you really need to veg for a while.
I'd recommend running 10-12 seeds to find 5-6 female's to select from. You will find some heavy indica stone in this strain.....
Peace
BL
Hey thanks BL. I am going to run some seeds and grow about 10 under my 600 to find a winner. I just have to read up on soil since I've only grown in hydro.
That heavy indica stone is what I'm after as well as appetite stimulation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chana Masala View Post
High AR, welcome. Blkremy and Billy gave you good advice. It is about selection for us that carry the passion.

Just wanted you to know that NL5xAff is not a straight Indy brother. Tis a wonderful hybrid that we are lucky to have access to. NL5xAff, Nordle and Ortega would be in my humble opinion the closet pure indy plants offered here at MNS, but they are all hybrids.

I wish SB offered a hash plant straight up. But he is the Hz man.

A new world will open up if you sacrifice some yield in the beginning with regard to your selections. Again, you are starting a new journey. Good luck.

Maybe you will consider a thread.

Take care,

CM
Hello CM, thanks for the welcome.

Oh i see she is a hybrid. Thanks for the heads up. Nordle is another strain which i would like to run sometime. I think these guys would scrog really nice. I completely agree with you on sacrificing some yield for potency. As soon as I run these strains I'll be sure to start a thread. Thanks again and happy growing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptn View Post
I thought SCROG was supposed to work best with stretchy strains that quickly fill the screen and stretch to long colas on the flip?
If I was working with a low - zero stretch pheno, I would tend more towards SOG.
This would allow you to minimize veg time that is not growing harvestable flower sites.
Faster turnaround in the long run, but requires a one time investment in time to grow out your seed plants to where you can collectively get enough cuts to fill your 4x4 SOG (time you would have spent filling your screen anyway.)

SCROG looks very attractive to me for all the sativa hybrids waiting their turn on my dance card. It would be great with my sativa pheno MKxSks.

With your experience AquaReef, is there an ideal height for the screen, or more kind of a default to start with and then adjust as you get to know a strain better?
How did you come up with your 20" screen height number? Assuming you top the plant at least twice before it reaches the screen, right?
Just starting to think about this. Sorry for the sidetrack in your thread :-)
Hello CPTN thanks for the reply. Scrog can benefit any strain. If you are growing a squat indica you can run the screen at 12 inches and flip to 12/12 when about 75 to 80 of your screen is filled since you will get little to no stretch. For hybrids you can run it at about 16 and flip when they fill the screen about 60 to 70 percent since they will stretch up and fill the rest of the screen with all the other shoots running up. If you have a sativa that stretches about 3 times as much and you run co2(more stretch) you can get away with setting the screen at 20 inches and flipping them when they are at 18 inches. Working the growth all through the screen and you'll end up with a full screen with minimal veg time in hydro. There are many variables in between so this is from personal experience. I was under the impression that the taller the plant and bigger the root mass the bigger the yield. I am starting to not believe this. This guy yielded 22 oz dry with a screen 10 inches above his girls. Truly inspiring. THCtalk.com - Cannabis Growing Forum & Cannabis & Marijuana Discussion Forums. I have 4 girls which are about a week into veg and are 14 tall. I'm going to run these with a 18 inch screen. I just set up another system right next to it and took clones last week. So that I can flower at the same time i will run the new clones up to 12 inches and then flip. I'm going to note the difference in yield since both systems are exactly the same. I started with 20 because I thought that this girl was going to stretch like crazy. My friend is running WW and his stretched 3x's so i set my screen up at 20 not knowing what to expect. This grow I am lowering it to 18 and running the other system at 12 to see if there is a difference. You basically want 10 inches of growth above the screen if you have a 600w so you have to know the strain and its stretch to know how high the screen should be above the pots and how much screen to fill.

Although I know I would yield better in a arena sog I cannot take the risk with those plant numbers. As a medical patient I try to keep it legal so i don't run into any unexpected problems. Heath Robinson's designs when it comes to sog and efficiency are amazing. I'd like to try that one day. I make my own cloners from scratch ( about 30 dollars total and most of that us just a pump) and keep my mothers in dwc so supplying a sog style grow would be no problem.

Thanks for your reply and you in no way side tracked the thread. Everyone is welcome to post about anything they'd like whether its a question or advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by godislove View Post
i notice that this hybrid tho in name appears full indy is quite actually a hybrid as the strain page says NL5xAfg but has 25%Sk...so is it a NL5xAfgSk hybrid using the Nordle as male or a completely different plant altogether...i was disapointed with my NL5xAfg but a lot of people have found winners...i had one that didn't stretch and one that more than tripled so there's variation no doubt, I like Nordle better, but the NL5xAfg had a euphoric feeling you don't find often in strong indica's, reminded me of Hashberry a bit in terms of pleasent but nothing OVER BEARING from my experience

EDIT: I understood ortega as a full afghani but might be incorrect, it does mention that Ortega is basically full Afghan.
Hello Godislove, I love the euphoria some strains produce. I used to have a 707 headband that just made you soo happy. I'm not a sad person or anything but the euphoric feeling when you smoked it was one of the best feelings ever. I'd give up being stoned or high for a strain that just gives you that feeling if it wasnt for my medicinal needs. Hashberry sounds delicious as if it should be the flavor of a fruit roll up or some yogurt lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Liar View Post
intersting point about the 25% skunk...
I thought that was a typo as mine had zero skunk traits, but plenty of raw indy potency, which the nordle is famous for.... So I suppose that figures.....
But as we know this strain is an f1 of nl5 and Afg (maybe afgTxSk1 IBL) so there will be variation, so selection is key... With a bit of skunk you may find an ideal scrog plant, but only with a selection run....
Peace
BL
Awesome thank you BL. Sorry for the dumb question but skunks are squatters right? Like really bushy plants?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkremy View Post
I am also a long time student of hydro moving toward more natural methods ( soil ) for selection. Then plan to unleash my hydro monster self on them to dial in nutrients and other finicky tendencys they might have. Best of luck to you!
Hey Blkremy We are on the same boat. It's just the explosive growth in hydro is soo addifting. I've been reading up on soils grows and hope to run one .in the near future. Any soil mixes you'd recommend? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmeo View Post
are you a first time grower if not you need no advise the stuff practically grows itself
its really a straight forward strain
Not a first time grower but always willing to learn something new. Awesome I'm very excited to see her grow. How do you like the stone?
Old 06-27-2012, 12:22 AM

deleted..................

Last edited by Blabla; 09-03-2013 at 09:50 PM.