Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS strains and grow diaries > 5. Strain Base > NL5 x Afghan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 04:18 PM

Default A few pics of my nl5xafghan

Thought i'd share a few pics with you lot.

These are all the same age, been going about 5 wks and i'm loving them. Some of the growth is so tight, node on node. I'm going to enjoy these.

I'm pretty new to hydro but here is a lesson i learnt. notice some of the burnt patches on various plants? This is where the feed from the wf has hit it. There was too much space between the dripper and the pebbles making it 'splash', so i topped up so they touch, no more flying nutes . Also helps keep the algae down!

Enjoy Fijian

Old 03-10-2012, 11:10 AM

They look fantastic. What light are they under?
Old 03-10-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaReefer View Post
They look fantastic. What light are they under?

Thank you AR, much appreciated! They are under 2 250w envirolight's.

Peace

Fijian
Old 03-10-2012, 01:49 PM

Default waterfarms are the nuts

nice looking plants TFT,
is this your first grow in the waterfarms? are you running straight hydroton? what feeds are you using?

i have grown in them for years mate, if you run into any problems just give me a shout and i will help if i can, i think they are awesome, 4plants in 4 waterfarms under 1x 600w in a 120tent will give you 1g/w with quite a few strains without too much difficulty.(tent doesn't have to be mylar lined either the cheaper white lined ones will do it too)

is the plant in the farm in the back left of the pic the oldest or just the most vigourous? it will be a monster when you bloom it.
i flower around 10"-20" depending on known stretch and they usually finish around the 3'-5' mark with no room inbetween them. if you bloom out the farms with the potted plants the potted plants will lose out big style as the waterfarms will dominate the space, this has been my experience as i could never match the growth rates of the farms with my potted plants.

Crittically Smashed

all the best with your hydro adventure The Fijian Toker mate,
may your nuggs be dense and sweet.
catch you later,

Riz.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:11 PM

Looking great Fijian and I have to agree with what Riz says about the WF plants blowing the potted plants out of the water.

Just a thought. Have you considered placing the soil potted plants on boxes or something, so that the tops of the plants are level and they all receive a decent amount of light?

The truth will set you free

Old 03-10-2012, 02:29 PM

Hempy buckets would be considered potted plants, wouldnt they?
Old 03-10-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack hairy View Post
Hempy buckets would be considered potted plants, wouldnt they?
No. Hempy buckets are plants in BUCKETS with a small hole 2 inches above the base, creating an internal reservoir.

When I say potted plants, I mean plants in actual flower pots, you know, the flower pots with several holes in the BASE of the pot.

Big difference. Hempy buckets yield more than potted plants IME. I've grown in both Hempy buckets and potted plants.

Last edited by ganja man1; 03-10-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:53 PM

i would consider a hempy bucket as a passive hydro system that is pretty bulletproof to give solid yields.

if you dial in a true hydro system it will outperform a passive hydro system that is dialed in, but is a much harder system to stay on top of with more pitfalls and costs.

all the best,
Riz.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizladon View Post
i would consider a hempy bucket as a passive hydro system that is pretty bulletproof to give solid yields.

This is true, that's why I grow my bud in them. So simple yet so effective.

if you dial in a true hydro system it will outperform a passive hydro system that is dialed in, but is a much harder system to stay on top of with more pitfalls and costs.

Depends on the grower. Hempy's grown NFT and Hempy buckets and he always states that Hempy buckets are the best for him. (Gosh I wish he was still posting here. He had so much knowledge and it's a great shame that he decided to retire. He'll always be remembered as a legend in my eyes).

all the best,
Riz.
All hydro's good though, whether it be passive or recirculating.

Last edited by ganja man1; 03-10-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizladon View Post

all the best,
Riz.
A lot of growers seem to think of hydro systems as somewhat complex, but I would argue that basic 'active' hydro systems, ebb and flow primarily, can be easier and more foolproof than hand watering and nursing bucketed plants, regardless of media.

I went from buckets to hydro to reduce fuss and muss, and it did.

Pitfalls and costs? Well, if you consider one pump and a timer to run it to be costly and pitfallish , I suppose. All I have to do is maintain the rez with a top off once a week and I'm golden. And in over 13 years of using them 2 to 3 at a time, I've never had any major failure or disaster ... (light timers, yes, hydro delivery systems, no).