Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS strains and grow diaries > 5. Strain Base > NL5 x Afghan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2010, 07:29 PM

Default NL#5 x Afghan 400w 40" x 40" tent grow SCROG

I have a thread that I will be emulating for this, I will be basically be splitting two 400w grow tents into:

--A cut of Shit I have, if you check my thread it's Shit #3, this will take up approx. half of one tent.

--Probably 2 Mango x Widow females from seeds popped along with these seeds. This will probably be 2 plants, taking up the other half of the Shit tent, and probably about a third of the other tent.

--And finally the NL#5 x Afghan will take up about 2/3's of the tent with the Mango x Widow.

Some quick pix:

These seeds are crazy vigorous!

Thanks for stopping by and may your garden stay ever-green,
HolyMountain
Mr. Nice Northern Lights #5 x Afghan--Completed
1000w--Shit, NL#5 x Afghan, Mango x Widow, and Cannacopia Deep Chunk x C99--Completed
Houston, prepare for liftoff: SSH and ASH

"What the caterpillar calls the end, the rest of the world calls a butterfly."
Old 07-05-2010, 07:17 PM

Talking

Well nothing complicated, just a picture update plus some words. 3 of 4 are totally above ground. These seeds are very vigorous. I'm very very excited to see how these plants pan out.

Thanks for stopping by,
HM
1000w--Shit, NL#5 x Afghan, Mango x Widow, and Cannacopia Deep Chunk x C99--Completed

Last edited by HolyMountain; 07-05-2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:38 AM

Nicesssss...All great things HolyMoutain! This should be fun to watch\
You using the 400 from beginning to end..? What kinda set up are they in?

-SD
Old 07-16-2010, 08:27 PM

Sounds good..looking forward to it..peace BL
Old 09-14-2010, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Smoke Dream
Nicesssss...All great things HolyMoutain! This should be fun to watch
You using the 400 from beginning to end..? What kinda set up are they in?
-SD
I was using a T8 shop light in order to get them big enough for the 400w. Otherwise I was vegging entirely under the CMH. The setup is a 40" x 40" tent with a 400w CMH under a standard batwing reflector. For cooling the setup I have a S&P TD-150 hooked up to a Can 33 carbon scrubber for odor. I'm currently in 3 gallon poly bags, they are in LC's soiless mix # 1 with bone meal, kelp meal, and blood meal for fertilizer. I'm just using water and molasses otherwise from beginning to end. Sorry, no MODScrog unless I get a bunch of motivation within the next couple days. I will definitely be bending the plants as needed though just to keep them out of the lights--I think in this case those plastic coated paper-clips will be my new best friend.

Quote:
Originally posted by budluver
Sounds good..looking forward to it..peace BL
Thanks for stopping by mate!

I'm actually now 3 days into flowering. I'm growing these alongside two Mango x Widow plants. The updates will be much more frequent from this point forward, I've just been horrendously busy with my day life and have been rendered unable to post otherwise for the most part. Especially now we should have a bit more of a show considering the triggered flowering. I can already tell these will be some fat buds. Only negative thing noted so far is a bit of leaf clawing, I'm definitely going to keep an eye on it though.

I plan on taking the bottom 2 nodes within the next week just to keep the foliage at soil level to a minimum--also this will give me a chance to take 4 clones of each NL#5 x Afghan plant.

And finally some pictures!

Thanks for stopping by everybody,
HolyMountain

Old 09-24-2010, 06:21 PM

Default Update

A bit of an update on my garden.

#3 seems to be a bit stockier and short, she will be the quickest to finish I believe. Her bud production has started earlier than the rest of the bunch (One other NL#5 x Afghan and 2x Mango x Widow).

#1 seems to have tremendous vigor. After I transplanted into the 3 gallons she took off into the lights. I actually had to supercrop her in order to keep her uniform with the rest of the gang. I can tell already if she pulls through her infestation, she will make a lot of quality bud. Speaking of infestation, I introduced a potato wedge 3 days ago to check for Fungus Gnats in the soil level because I was able to see a pest infestation. I don't quite what the next course of action will be, but I'm going to sterilize the grow area and try to use some safe pesticides if at all possible (so far just have Neem Oil though). I'm hoping she will pull through as she is a prime specimen. I've also cut back on watering this plant as frequently as watering too frequently leads to pest problems, or so I've heard.

Any suggestions would be more than appreciated, as I've never had to deal with pest problems before.

Thanks for stopping by,
HolyMountain

Old 10-25-2010, 09:18 PM

Hey hey now,,,it's been a month...
How's it going with this report??

I have this strain coming and am very interested...

Pics..update...
Old 10-26-2010, 12:42 AM

Default Sorry for the lack of updates

Hey Cabron, thanks for stopping by! Sorry for the lack of updates, I've been really busy with my academic schedule lately and it's left little time for my updates.

Everything is going relatively well in the garden. Both of my NL #5 x Afghans seem to be dealing with the nutrients pretty well, but they definitely are showing some deficiencies and I believe some pH lockout. I am using bone,blood, and kelp in the soil (straight water + Black Strap molasses) and will be doing guano teas next harvest (used it with my Shits with fabulous results). I am running this beside Mango x Widow and I would say that NL #5 x Afghan deals better with higher EC feedings than the Mango x Widow.

So far the smell of both plants seem to be very mild, but on the very sweet side none the less. A friend and I took a blind smell test and we both came up with the aroma of berries--I smelt a very sweet strawberry (almost cough syrup strawberry when taking into account the additional stench) while my cohort smelled light berries and a hint of blueberry. I don't know how typical these results are with this strain, but it really is a pleaser in almost every aspect. Can't wait until these come down and I'm able to smoke um--I will also be making bubble hash with the trim and I'm hoping this will make some very narcotic bubble.

In the past week both NL's shot out additional pistils like no other, so there is a good mix of fresh and amber pistils on the buds. I'm going to let these go pretty long and hopefully chop on day 70 (currently day 45) in order to get some slight THC degradation (will be checking for some amber tric's with my microscope) resulting in a very heavy night-time smoke.

A couple pictures:

Thanks for stopping by everybody,
HolyMountain

Old 11-03-2010, 05:03 PM

Quick update with some pretty nice macros.

These plants are truly bulking up, I've had to exercise use of plastic coated paper clips to keep certain buds propped upright (some stems are binding under their own weight). These are really producing some trichomes!

Thanks for stopping by all,
HolyMountain

Old 11-15-2010, 11:43 PM

Well, I haven't updated my forum in a bit, so here you go!

Pictures first:
Taken November 7th, 2010 (both #1 and #3)

Taken November 12th, 2010 (Day 65) (ONLY #3)

Taken November 15th, 2010 (Only #1)

Well, as you can see a lot has happened! I chopped NL#5 x Afghan #3 on day 65 of flowering, and it's drying as we speak. I plan to chop NL#5 x Afghan #1 on day 70 of flowering. As you can see #1 has varying degrees of purple all throughout the plant, but it is still dominantly green. The scent on this girl is very subtlety sweet with hints of berry and an undertone of rank/stink. I suppose we shall just have to see what sort of flavors develop as the drying and curing process proceeds though.

Things are starting to look pretty tasty, I cannot wait to treat myself to the first stony bowl of this stuff. Should be some major couchlock (especially #1 as it is going 70 days). I made some bubble hash (Only have the 3 bag system though so it has contaminants) with just the trim of #3, initial impressions were that it was very strong and indica. I'm hoping to get a 160 micron contamination bag and either a 45 or 90 micron bag within the next couple weeks--I believe this should improve the quality greatly.

Thanks for checking up everybody,
HolyMountain