Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS strains and grow diaries > 5. Strain Base > Mango Haze

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2017, 01:02 AM

Post Mango Haze (and ssh) Grow

Hi,

I am on the 11th week of a Mango Haze and Super Silver Haze grow. 1000W bulb. Not a real big room. Started with 6 of each in 3 gallon smart pots (it seems to me this is the right size given my floor space limitations - the room is completely full with plants!).

I am using the Nectars for the Gods line.

I have never had healthier plants. I am a beginner and I am just lucky that nothing (well, one thing, I'll explain below) has hit me out of left field and I am just following the Nectars recommended process.

Well, I had 3 male ssh's and 1 male mango and so was sitting at 8. Then a mango hermied on me and pollinated the whole grow. Was severely bummed for a while, but am charging ahead. And anyway, with my anxiety, I am mainly an indica guy (love Medicine Man! - that is my go to bud of what little strains I know) and so I figure I am not a bad candidate for a less potent end product of an excellent couple of sativa strains.

OK, here is my main question/concern.

I think one of my ssh's will be ready to harvest in a couple weeks. The other two in maybe 3-4. The mangos? Shit, they are one tenth as flowered as the two ssh's that are less flowered than the other one. And they have been treated identical to the ssh's.

I don't get it. An example is the very top bud for all the mangoes. It doesn't even look like a bud yet. No girth. Just a few hairs.

I am frankly even amazed by the difference in flowering between the ssh and the mango.

Oh, one other thing. I am actually unsure the mangos have any seeds! I am unable to be at my grow while the lamp is on until Saturday at which time I will give it an extensive examination. (I have fed with the room light on [not the grow light] and can't see that well under those circumstances.) The ssh's all have seeds and these were furthest from the mango that hermied on me.

I am unsure the mangos have any seeds!

(I did remove the hermie.)

Oh, one other thing. My friend told me pollin can hang out a while. Am I in danger of pollination after removal of all plants should I shortly start another grow?

Well, any comments/whatever would be much appreciated.

o2 (Tony)
Old 05-03-2017, 07:43 AM

Default Long-flowering Sativas

There is a good book I will recommend, but it is not for sale. You are writing it yourself: The Book of Experience. Seriously though, I'm just finishing some Acapulco Gold that have been flowering for 17 weeks. They are ripe, I'm giving them one more week to mature their seeds. I started them at 12/12, kept them at 12/12 for 3 or 4 weeks and then incrementally brought them down to 10.5/13.5. That is one good technique to get bud formation on a tropical or semi-tropical strain, shorten the day-length. Good luck
Old 05-03-2017, 08:20 AM

Exclamation

yes true, pollen can survive a few days even weeks under good conditions

my tactic would be to turn off all fans, so that you havent any air movement, then i would spray "down" all plants with pure water, washing down any leftover pollen from plants, repeat this procedure next day, and turn fans back on again

hard decision regarding what to do, all in all it leads to an extraction, either hash and dry sieved or water/bubble hash or with the help of solvents making oil

its up to you to estimate the resulting success of each process to save the trichomes

really a hard decision where nobody can really help, as its a matter of sacrificing amd we all see "different"

bummer
Old 05-03-2017, 08:15 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks guys. You (as well as others such as Jake and professor) continue to help me learn. Much appreciated.

So weird about the flowering time discrepancy. The mrseed site estimates ssh to flower in 8-10 weeks and mango in 8-11. Well, with 3/3 ssh's flowering much sooner compared to 4/4 mangos, that is statistically significant, it seems to me.

I'm stubborn as hell and I will let things run their course!

deran, sure appreciate the pollen recommendation. Though I am confused. I thought the only issue to be preventing future grows from getting pollinated and so can you clarify the following?

Quote:
deran:
hard decision regarding what to do, all in all it leads to an extraction, either hash and dry sieved or water/bubble hash or with the help of solvents making oil

its up to you to estimate the resulting success of each process to save the trichomes
I just thought the plants would be less potent. Are they subject to severe trichome loss or something? I just don't understand!

Thanks again...

Tony
Old 05-04-2017, 10:25 AM

i think the mh is more haze than the ssh

i have do the 2 strains and the blooming was more fast for the ssh between 8 to 12 weeks , the mh is more than 11 to no end weeks and the mango don't like the light trouble or the light changement in bloom (in to go out)

after i like more smoke mango a very good weed but the ssh is nothing special for me

i 'm more a smoker of indica strain but the mango for a sativa is one of the best but very sensible to the stress
Old 05-04-2017, 03:08 PM

You're on the right track braddah! As you just experienced, some plants can herm and compromise the rest of the grow. On any new variety you grow, diligence is important. Catching problems early on can save a lot of heartache. Isolate/eliminate problem plants immediately and the suggestion of watering down may help minimize pollen dispersion. Sativas can be more sensitive to light and nutrition. Retrace your steps to determine if the herm was your fault and make necessary corrections. You may need to decrease light to get some of these sats to pop. Sometimes just a reduction of 1 hr will do the trick. Finally, seeded medicine is a good excuse to make hash or oil or salves out of it. Did I tell you that Mango Haze is a killer strain? Haha you already knew that. Good hunting brah.

Aloha nui
M
Old 05-05-2017, 01:54 PM

Smile

Thanks, musashi.

I'm a bright guy, but who too easily overlooks obvious things. (But, when I overlook something, I think the lesson learned is sufficient that I do not overlook the same thing again!) I did not carefully inspect the plants on a regular basis for chance of hermying. I also did not prune these giants! (That should have been obvious with the mrnice recommendation to consider 12/12 lighting from the get-go.)

Thanks again for the encouraging words. The Nectar line is quite expensive, but so far has served me well. Heck, it would have accrued far and beyond its cost had I used it in my last grow - Ortega, which suffered nutrition lockout (using coco as a medium). I think what I got was good, but only 44 grams out of four plants!!!

My grows have been: 1)Medicine Man, 2)Medicine Man, 3)Ortega, and 4)this SSH/Mango Haze so I am a newbie and only know the wonders of the Mango via reading about it and not actual consumption!

Kinda anxious!

Thanks again...

Tony
Old 05-06-2017, 03:24 PM

Gotta love MedMan. You find any keepers?

Aloha
M
Old 05-06-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2b View Post
Thanks guys. You (as well as others such as Jake and professor) continue to help me learn. Much appreciated.

So weird about the flowering time discrepancy. The mrseed site estimates ssh to flower in 8-10 weeks and mango in 8-11. Well, with 3/3 ssh's flowering much sooner compared to 4/4 mangos, that is statistically significant, it seems to me.

I'm stubborn as hell and I will let things run their course!

deran, sure appreciate the pollen recommendation. Though I am confused. I thought the only issue to be preventing future grows from getting pollinated and so can you clarify the following?

I just thought the plants would be less potent. Are they subject to severe trichome loss or something? I just don't understand!

Thanks again...

Tony
oh i just meant, when the buds are fully seeded you actually dont have a smokeable product, first you need to separate the seeds and by that you are left with a green mass and not buds ... and sure, you can smoke it, its like grinded buds, but its also good to make extracts off that green mass

no the plants wont be less potent, dont worry
Old 05-06-2017, 09:37 PM

G `day O2

Try shortening the light hours to 11/ 13 .
That usually encourages the slower flowering types to get on with it .

Thanks for sharin

EB .