Heater for 6x6 tent advice please

Deach69

2022 COE Winner
Gday! I'm beginning to learn the ropes for indoor growing. I've been using an infra red heater but didn't consider the red light it emits. So, first question,would anyone know if that subtle red light would have negative effects on the flowering cycle? If so, do any of you have favorite heating options for a 6x6 tent? Thanks :)

Gday! I'm beginning to learn the ropes for indoor growing. I've been using an infra red heater but didn't consider the red light it emits. So, first question,would anyone know if that subtle red light would have negative effects on the flowering cycle? If so, do any of you have favorite heating options for a 6x6 tent? Thanks :)
Hi,
Personally i would prefer heating from the bottom.... Plants are like us they like to have warm feet and fresh head.
A heat mat or a cable use for reptile terrarium wrapped around pots seems a better choice to me.

Last edited:
I have an STC—1000 providing automated control based on temps, connected to an electric 2kw radiator. This setup worked well.

@Tom bolenate, I agree on the mat theory, makes sense and would be my preferenc. Whether or not I would look into something like that, would depend on how much I would focus on indoor gardening. I love outdoor gardening, and growing indoors is more about pheno finding towards outdoor gardening, so not quite a priority, as of yet.

@Grabdad, Gust googled the device on youtube, pretty cool

At the moment, I'm wondering if infra red heating would be good for flowering, because I already own the device. I'll be flipping to the flower cycle within this week...

there are also this kind of heaters, from lighthouse I think.

Attachments

• lighthouse-ecoheat-135w-riscaldatore-per-grow-box~Img_Principale_28623.jpg
    lighthouse-ecoheat-135w-riscaldatore-per-grow-box~Img_Principale_28623.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 0
well, if heat generation is a problem, I generally recommend people do 2 flower tents. and vent them into each other. so instead of doing a 6x6 tent, you would want to have a pair of 3 x 6 tents. but you already have a 6x6 up and going. adding co2 and turning the vents off at night can help to make a warming blanket on your plants. as was mentioned, heat mats for the plants. get the ones w/ controls.

have you considered putting mylar survival blankets on the outside of the tent? passive(no electrical input) should always be considered before active.
Since your plan is to o minimal indoor as your prefer outdoor, May I suggest the idea of basically running your tent to start the outdoor seed plants early, cull males, root clones of ladies, take seed plants outside, and then get rid of the clones at end of season from the plants that did the worst. take clones of the keepers a week after you start next seasons seeds, repeat.

It is the way that we all should be utilizing an indoor, for all plants we all grow. I am most excited that you have started up a tent Deach!

. I have grown tomatoes and peppers I wish I had clones for the next year. a Ghost pepper w/ 0 ZERO capsaicin. If I had taken clones I would be the richest man alive, as that flavor w/ no heat would make any spicy dish so amazing. I could have sold clones of that to Burpee and never had to work again. A black cherry tomato that had tomatoes almost as big as early girls. so much flavor and so juicy. I miss those plants. from the same packs and brands I have never found them again.

I like to use the oil filled radiator type heaters. They won't burn the plants, catch anything on fire, and gentle thermostat controlled heat with a small footprint.
I use one of those in my greenhouse when I take the tomatoes and peppers out early, and whn I put the greenhouse back up in october. sometimes I can harvest tomatoes and peppers late into november. Good thinking on sharing that Idea. It wasnt even on my mind to mention that type of heater.

well, if heat generation is a problem, I generally recommend people do 2 flower tents. and vent them into each other. so instead of doing a 6x6 tent, you would want to have a pair of 3 x 6 tents. but you already have a 6x6 up and going. adding co2 and turning the vents off at night can help to make a warming blanket on your plants. as was mentioned, heat mats for the plants. get the ones w/ controls.

have you considered putting mylar survival blankets on the outside of the tent? passive(no electrical input) should always be considered before active.
Since your plan is to o minimal indoor as your prefer outdoor, May I suggest the idea of basically running your tent to start the outdoor seed plants early, cull males, root clones of ladies, take seed plants outside, and then get rid of the clones at end of season from the plants that did the worst. take clones of the keepers a week after you start next seasons seeds, repeat.

It is the way that we all should be utilizing an indoor, for all plants we all grow. I am most excited that you have started up a tent Deach!

. I have grown tomatoes and peppers I wish I had clones for the next year. a Ghost pepper w/ 0 ZERO capsaicin. If I had taken clones I would be the richest man alive, as that flavor w/ no heat would make any spicy dish so amazing. I could have sold clones of that to Burpee and never had to work again. A black cherry tomato that had tomatoes almost as big as early girls. so much flavor and so juicy. I miss those plants. from the same packs and brands I have never found them again.
So, I used my infra red heater to get my seedlings started, but because of my concern of the slight red light's effects on flowering, I purchased a ceramic heater for $40 CAD. I was just trying to save a buck if I could. I also has a sensor that records the temp and humidity while I'm not around, and it's pretty consistent, goes down a couple of degrees Celcius when the lights go out.

I like your idea of mylar to cover the outside, it would be nice if I can make it efficient. This tent is for sexing towards my summer stock. I'm focusing on finding the best NL out of a pack from Joey for this indoor run, and a few other strains, one Fem Cancers nightmare (my favorite) a NL5 Hz and 2 Nevils Mango. Fingers crossed on the last 2 for fems, filling in the space .

I also picked up a 4x4 at a good price from a friend, to keep clones in. This will complicate my life as well as simplify and enhance it.

@slabsofdank , thanks for that, I was wondering about those, consistent and safe is good

@svap, do you have experience with this type of heater?

So, I used my infra red heater to get my seedlings started, but because of my concern of the slight red light's effects on flowering, I purchased a ceramic heater for $40 CAD. I was just trying to save a buck if I could. I also has a sensor that records the temp and humidity while I'm not around, and it's pretty consistent, goes down a couple of degrees Celcius when the lights go out.

I like your idea of mylar to cover the outside, it would be nice if I can make it efficient. This tent is for sexing towards my summer stock. I'm focusing on finding the best NL out of a pack from Joey for this indoor run, and a few other strains, one Fem Cancers nightmare (my favorite) a NL5 Hz and 2 Nevils Mango. Fingers crossed on the last 2 for fems, filling in the space .

I also picked up a 4x4 at a good price from a friend, to keep clones in. This will complicate my life as well as simplify and enhance it.

@slabsofdank , thanks for that, I was wondering about those, consistent and safe is good

@svap, do you have experience with this type of heater?
Badass! I am always oogling Joey Weeds varieties when I am on HD

Badass! I am always oogling Joey Weeds varieties when I am on HD
I tried Ortega last summer, and loved them, which has me on a NL quest. After blowing a crapload of time on the internet focused on NL, I figured Joeys is a good source to explore. I'm also going to focus on NL5 haze after trying SSH last summer which opened my eyes to Haze

Last edited:
So, not much more to say here, I think any old heater should do, some are probably more efficient than others though. Its definitely nice to have the bluetooth thermometer that tells me what's going on while I'm not watching . Gotta say, 6x6 seems to be a nice size to work in if one is growing 6-8 plants (I may change my mind on that as they get bigger). Lots of room to get around

A 6x6x9 space would need 4,220 BTU or 1,237 Watts worth of cooling.

Very cool, you have a formula to calculate that?
Square Footage x 20-80 depending on your climate, how well your insulated and sun exposure. Given it's a grow room and the efficiency of the heater/ac is unknown I leaned toward the heavier end. 36 sq ft x 80 btu per sq ft = 2880. Then, because I am a person who errs towards caution I upped it approximately 80% to cover unknowns like climate, house Temps, facing, etc.

Square Footage x 20-80 depending on your climate, how well your insulated and sun exposure. Given it's a grow room and the efficiency of the heater/ac is unknown I leaned toward the heavier end. 36 sq ft x 80 btu per sq ft = 2880. Then, because I am a person who errs towards caution I upped it approximately 80% to cover unknowns like climate, house Temps, facing, etc.
Nice!!!

I tried Ortega last summer, and loved them, which has me on a NL quest. After blowing a crapload of time on the internet focused on NL, I figured Joeys is a good source to explore. I'm also going to focus on NL5 haze after trying SSH last summer which opened my eyes to Haze
I too am on a NL, Skunk, and Afghan journey. I want to explore the Afghan Haze.

Back