Green mould on seeds :(

Deach69

2022 COE Winner
I had sprouted some seeds as per usual within damp paper towel, and noticed a strange web coming off one of them. That particular seed had a brown spot on it, so I picked it out and chucked it. The rest of the sprouts were placed in jiffy peat pellets after I noticed the ends had a green tinge on the hinge ends (Cant find the proper name for that part). I left the green part sticking out so that it would hopefully not contaminate the rest. I am including a couple of photos, which don't necessarily do justice to the green color. Any advice, should I scrap it or is there a chance it won't spread?

PXL_20210213_185351708_copy_756x1008.jpgmould.jpg

spritz it w/ 3% peroxide, they should be fine.
Thanks, I was thinking of peroxide, never had to use it before. Is it ok to spray seedlings with? I'm guessing the mould spores are on the shell of the seed, should I be soaking them in 3% in the future?

Thanks, I was thinking of peroxide, never had to use it before. Is it ok to spray seedlings with? I'm guessing the mould spores are on the shell of the seed, should I be soaking them in 3% in the future?
Ive done it w/ no problems, you shouldn't have a problem.

3% full strength peroxide is too strong. 1 cup of 3% peroxide in a gallon of water works well to keep seeds from dampening off. That is what I have used for the last 6 years or so on hundreds of seedlings. More than 2 cups of 3% peroxide in a gallon of water can burn plants. That is as strong as I spray peroxide for a badly PM infected mature Cannabis plant.

3% full strength peroxide is too strong. 1 cup of 3% peroxide in a gallon of water works well to keep seeds from dampening off. That is what I have used for the last 6 years or so on hundreds of seedlings. More than 2 cups of 3% peroxide in a gallon of water can burn plants. That is as strong as I spray peroxide for a badly PM infected mature Cannabis plant.
I had some seeds get some mold on the shells that were floating, I tool the peroxide contaioner and squitted a few ML into the shotglass, the seeds were fine, all of them popped. it was some northern lights that it happened to for me. all the seeds finished germinating, and grew into healthy plants. I know, I am a brutal savage attempting to kill baby plants w/ so much peroxide.

Sounds like my plan. So you will spray plants with this then?

@Mlmedpatient, I'm curious, where did your NL seeds come from? I'm having the same experience with my Joey NLs, never seen this before.

Sounds like my plan. So you will spray plants with this then?

Dampening off has been an issue for me here with non-Mexican landrace strains. I never had that problem in California where I grew mostly Mexican bag weed plants. The Mexican landraces seem to be immune to PM as well, which is a new world plant disease. I soak my seeds in pure 3% peroxide for a few hours and I put a few drops in the water that I add to folded paper towels which I germinate seeds in. I also spray the seedlings for several weeks with the 1 cup per gallon peroxide solution once every other day after putting them in soil to prevent damp off. I tested that on a tray of 120 seedlings a few years ago as a test, and 100% of them survived. I also add some agricultural soap at a rate of 1/2 tsp per gallon as a wetting agent which helps keep the spray from beading up (due to hydrogen bonding in water). Damp off is only an issue for young plants and more typically later season in spring when it gets warmer here. Mature plants become immune to that after they have their 3rd set of true leaves (or about 4 inches tall). For mature plants with PM I use 70% refined neem oil at a rate of 1:100 (3 TB + 2 tsp per gallon of water, no ag soap needed, as it has a spreader in it). You can also use the peroxide spray with ag soap for that, up to 2 cups per gallon of water for bad cases on mature plants. I have found that if I keep my Colombians and SE Asian strains until fully mature, I need to spray them regularly in late season under the lights (December) to prevent PM and mold. But its a hard battle at that stage. The advantage of peroxide is that it just turns to water when it breaks down, so there is no residual taste or smell left on buds spraying late season or before harvesting. The peroxide spray also helps with bugs like mites and aphids as a contact spray. And it is non-toxic to most beneficials, your pets, kids, and you.

Last edited:
Dampening off has been an issue for me here with non-Mexican landrace strains. I never had that problem in California where I grew mostly Mexican bag weed plants. The Mexican landraces seem to be immune to PM as well, which is a new world plant disease. I soak my seeds in pure 3% peroxide for a few hours and I put a few drops in the water that I add to folded paper towels which I germinate seeds in. I also spray the seedlings for several weeks with the 1 cup per gallon peroxide solution once every other day after putting them in soil to prevent damp off. I tested that on a tray of 120 seedlings a few years ago as a test, and 100% of them survived. I also add some agricultural soap at a rate of 1/2 tsp per gallon as a wetting agent which helps keep the spray from beading up (due to hydrogen bonding in water). Damp off is only an issue for young plants and more typically later season in spring when it gets warmer here. Mature plants become immune to that after they have their 3rd set of true leaves (or about 4 inches tall). For mature plants with PM I use 70% refined neem oil at a rate of 1:100 (3 TB + 2 tsp per gallon of water, no ag soap needed, as it has a spreader in it). You can also use the peroxide spray with ag soap for that, up to 2 cups per gallon of water for bad cases on mature plants. I have found that if I keep my Colombians and SE Asian strains until fully mature, I need to spray them regularly in late season under the lights (December) to prevent PM and mold. But its a hard battle at that stage. The advantage of peroxide is that it just turns to water when it breaks down, so there is no residual taste or smell left on buds spraying late season or before harvesting. The peroxide spray also helps with bugs like mites and aphids as a contact spray. And it is non-toxic to most beneficials, your pets, kids, and you.
Wonderful information, as per usual. Thanks for sharing brother, this ^^^ will be useful for many to come :)

Back