Who likes chili.

I like chili peppers because there are a lot of genetics to choose from, like in cannabis. I am considering growing also a california reaper, a friend of mine tasted and said it is delicious. But I am kind of scared to try something that potent, I am afraid to touch my eye by mistake while I handle them.

Peppers wow I am getting into it now as well just need to germ some seeds . I got ghost pepper (but jolokia) purple carolina reaper. Chocolate scotch bonnet. Trinidad moruga scorpion. Gigantic Trinidad 7 pot. Naga viper , sepia serpent,dragons breath, naga morich. And a few others

Hi vlad
Chili is my second favorite plant to grow.
The hot stuff in is my passion.
If you have the chance check out the NMSU CPI
Chili Pepper Institute they used to carry the original guiness world record Bhut Jolokia seed and could be purchased from them.
They also have many others.
Ive grown the African Fatalii yellow super hot
The Bhut Jolokia , some Jalapeño called tormenta. And several green and red chili types like Big Jim , Sandia.
Red or Green?
😂
🌶

Hi vlad
Chili is my second favorite plant to grow.
The hot stuff in is my passion.
If you have the chance check out the NMSU CPI
Chili Pepper Institute they used to carry the original guiness world record Bhut Jolokia seed and could be purchased from them.
They also have many others.
Ive grown the African Fatalii yellow super hot
The Bhut Jolokia , some Jalapeño called tormenta. And several green and red chili types like Big Jim , Sandia.
Red or Green?
😂
🌶
Hey.
Green, lately. Got a Zia peublo going.

signal-2021-01-14-152524.jpg

You are a tough guy.
The ghost peppers are a bit much for me.
I reckon the habs give a much nicer mouth feel.
The reapers are a bit too blow torch like 😥

Got the chimayo going too

signal-2021-01-14-145859.jpg

Ordered a tonne of sweet this year, Italian style for my mates dad.
Jimmy nardello, pepperone di senise, yellow Marconi, guindilla, duex de landes, jeromin etc.
Got quite a few peublo and Mexican landrace from Jim D also.
Hanging out to plant his peppin golden honey.

You making sauce with your super hots?
Or just torturing yourself for the endorphin rush 😉

Last edited:
Hey.
Green, lately. Got a Zia peublo going.

View attachment 48971

You are a tough guy.
The ghost peppers are a bit much for me.
I reckon the habs give a much nicer mouth feel.
The reapers are a bit too blow torch like 😥

Got the chimayo going too

View attachment 48968

Ordered a tonne of sweet this year, Italian style for my mates dad.
Jimmy nardello, pepperone di senise, yellow Marconi, guindilla, duex de landes, jeromin etc.
Got quite a few peublo and Mexican landrace from Jim D also.
Hanging out to plant his peppin golden honey.

You making sauce with your super hots?
Or just torturing yourself for the endorphin rush 😉
Nice green and red chile those will make.
If you are so inclined you can hybridize one of those landrace pueblo types to each other and make something very unique. And you only need one or two chile pods pollenated for enough seed to grow some plants . I bet ya they will be excellent.
F1
The process is quite simple
I use tweezer, a Qtip and a small filmm cannister to catch the pollen.
The female or plant that will grow the pod will need a few unopen flowers emasculated leaveing only the center white pistol to be pollenated by the Qtip.
Label that pod with a tag and any others you do this to. The chile pod needs to go red ripe before harvest so seed is viable.
All seeds in these pods are F1 hybrids of the parent plants and cuttings should be taken to save any special ones
Also, do this indoor in the winter
No latent pollen floating around from other plants then.
Bhut Joloki x African Fatalii
( fruity Napalm 😂) but sweet

I try not to eat them fresh.
The Bhut Jolokia for me is best dried and ground into powder
A thimble full mixed into 2-5 lbs hamburger meat makes excellent tacos no salt or pepper need.
The Fatalii is usually used for fresh salsa but can be overwhelming for most.
Kinda like thinking wasabi is guacamole and dipping a chip into it. 😵
My wife pickles the jalapeños some sweet and some traditional vinegar .
Hottest jalapeño I ever had.
Never had much success with other types like sweet bell peppers.

Last edited:
I'm popping some black mamba pepper seeds right now, so they can go into the garden by the end of February 🔥☄🌩
And the usual jalapenos, habaneros etc. will follow a bit later.

At home we make a nice spicy sauce called zhug (yemenite origin). This is the recipe we use, for those interested:

- 1.2kg peppers (50/50 jalapeno/habanero)
- 300g cilantro
- 150g fresh garlic
- 200ml olive oil
- 1tbsp salt
- 1tbsp black pepper
- 1tbsp smoked paprika powder
- 1tsp cumin
- optional: 1tsp (crushed) kardemom seeds

Mix the fresh ingredients with a mixer or kitchen robot, you can store the sauce in containers and freeze it.

I'm popping some black mamba pepper seeds right now, so they can go into the garden by the end of February 🔥☄🌩
And the usual jalapenos, habaneros etc. will follow a bit later.

At home we make a nice spicy sauce called zhug (yemenite origin). This is the recipe we use, for those interested:

- 1.2kg peppers (50/50 jalapeno/habanero)
- 300g cilantro
- 150g fresh garlic
- 200ml olive oil
- 1tbsp salt
- 1tbsp black pepper
- 1tbsp smoked paprika powder
- 1tsp cumin
- optional: 1tsp (crushed) kardemom seeds

Mix the fresh ingredients with a mixer or kitchen robot, you can store the sauce in containers and freeze it.
Looks yummy.... But I would be very afraid to fly off my toilets seat the next morning....

Nice green and red chile those will make.
If you are so inclined you can hybridize one of those landrace pueblo types to each other and make something very unique. And you only need one or two chile pods pollenated for enough seed to grow some plants . I bet ya they will be excellent.
F1
The process is quite simple
I use tweezer, a Qtip and a small filmm cannister to catch the pollen.
The female or plant that will grow the pod will need a few unopen flowers emasculated leaveing only the center white pistol to be pollenated by the Qtip.
Label that pod with a tag and any others you do this to. The chile pod needs to go red ripe before harvest so seed is viable.
All seeds in these pods are F1 hybrids of the parent plants and cuttings should be taken to save any special ones
Also, do this indoor in the winter
No latent pollen floating around from other plants then.
Bhut Joloki x African Fatalii
( fruity Napalm 😂) but sweet

I try not to eat them fresh.
The Bhut Jolokia for me is best dried and ground into powder
A thimble full mixed into 2-5 lbs hamburger meat makes excellent tacos no salt or pepper need.
The Fatalii is usually used for fresh salsa but can be overwhelming for most.
Kinda like thinking wasabi is guacamole and dipping a chip into it. 😵
My wife pickles the jalapeños some sweet and some traditional vinegar .
Hottest jalapeño I ever had.
Never had much success with other types like sweet bell peppers.

Thanks for the tips on breeding.
I've got way too many types outside to know what the seed could be, but I planted them all, so not like the randoms wouldn't be what I liked.
I think I'll breed inside like you suggest

Last edited:
Got a bit excited over these beans lol.
X

Wonder how hard it is to breed bean hybrids

Last edited:
Hi All,

Well I love chili and grow every year about 5 to 8 different varieties...but it is great to read about the interest in special vegetables and useable plants. My first wife was from Belgrade and we made Ajvar religiously each year...some years hot others not so hot...but all in all growing any food related plants make for a better all round gardener! I now have the true wasabi plant growing and will take some photos once i harvest a few ....but keep up the great work and I really enjoyed reading this thread....All the best Sb

Thanks for the tips on breeding.
I've got way too many types outside to know what the seed could be, but I planted them all, so not like the randoms wouldn't be what I liked.
I think I'll breed inside like you suggest
If you can spare a small indoor spot with a light.
This plant can be the pod parent keeping it separate from all others.
You can then select any outdoor plant as a pollen donar.
Take close inspection of selected pollen plant and time it so you can catch a newly opened virgin flower with all pollen brachs in tacked , collect with tweezer and place in a container.
Transfer pollen to indoor pod plant with a few emasculated flowers. Label these now.
Let grow red ripe harvest , remove seeds immediately upon harvest and soak for 20 minutes (exactly 20 minutes) in 6% sodium hypochlorite solution. (this solution is basically bleach and the reduction rate will be based on container size) easy...
Strain , rinse ,
place on paper plate at room temp until dry completely. (Days)
Store in fridge until time to plant. (Paper)
This process will give you very high germination rates 70%+- in the seed you make.
Omit this soaking process and germination rates will be below 15%
This detailed process was listed on the CPI website years ago.
I don’t remember the name of the person I learned this from but he is exceptional at indoor chile cultivation, bonsai and cuttings.
He has a website so a chile seed search might find him. I think he lives in Sweden .

Last edited:
If you can spare a small indoor spot with a light.
This plant can be the pod parent keeping it separate from all others.
You can then select any outdoor plant as a pollen donar.
Take close inspection of selected pollen plant and time it so you can catch a newly opened virgin flower with all pollen brachs in tacked , collect with tweezer and place in a container.
Transfer pollen to indoor pod plant with a few emasculated flowers. Label these now.
Let grow red ripe harvest , remove seeds immediately upon harvest and soak for 20 minutes (exactly 20 minutes) in 6% sodium hypochlorite solution. (this solution is basically bleach and the reduction rate will be based on container size) easy...
Strain , rinse ,
place on paper plate at room temp until dry completely. (Days)
Store in fridge until time to plant. (Paper)
This process will give you very high germination rates 70%+- in the seed you make.
Omit this soaking process and germination rates will be below 15%
This detailed process was listed on the CPI website years ago.
I don’t remember the name of the person I learned this from but he is exceptional at indoor chile cultivation, bonsai and cuttings.
He has a website so a chile seed search might find him. I think he lives in Sweden .
Good stuff
For tomato too.

Hi All,

Well I love chili and grow every year about 5 to 8 different varieties...but it is great to read about the interest in special vegetables and useable plants. My first wife was from Belgrade and we made Ajvar religiously each year...some years hot others not so hot...but all in all growing any food related plants make for a better all round gardener! I now have the true wasabi plant growing and will take some photos once i harvest a few ....but keep up the great work and I really enjoyed reading this thread....All the best Sb
Hey Shanti
Did you learn to make rakia from your wife's family?
That's some fun.
When I was a kid a mates Portuguese Dad taught us to distil a plonk made from tromboncino zucchini.

Greta_2048x2048.jpg
DSC01245_2048x2048.jpeg
My brother in law's Nonno taught us grappa with sultana wine-lees also
You try the ajvar with eggplant as well as peppers? 😜

Screenshot_20210119_134137.jpg

Bergamo cigarettes about to be bottled in 2/1 white wine vinegar/white wine *guindilla recipe* pickling juice

Last edited:
This is a confit recipe. The pepper is Basque.
Hi,

In the Basque County they also have what we call "piment d'espelette".... Mildy hot but a lot of flavor....they often use it to perfume delicatessen or sausages.... It really worth a try if you like chillies.

A recipe of sweet pepper stuffed with fresh goat cheese and herbs 🤤🤤🤤🤤

It's in French but easy.... You need sweet chillies in can (the ones kept in oil) fresh goat cheese (like cottage cheese, but from goat not cow) chives, chervil, olive oil, a bit of dry white wine, a few pinch of espellette chilli powder.
You mix the cheese with minced herbs (use a fork not mixer) ad a bit of olive oil and wine, salt, pepper, chilli powder, stuff you chillies with the mix pour some more olive oil on it and your done.....better and healthier than KFC believe me!
A good dry white wine will be perfect with that.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Found this seed trader with some hard to get bean and pumpkin seed.
Nice corn too

View attachment 49083

View attachment 49085

View attachment 49086

Thanks Vlad!
I can recommend this online shop for tomato and pepper seeds: https://tomatobob.com/

everyone! burpee is releasinga pepper called real deal. it is a habanero flavored tabasco heat level pepper. enjoy tricking people into thinking your feeding them spicy food. then giving them mild. it messes with the chili heads brain to smell 250k and get 1000 scoville in the mouth.

everyone! burpee is releasinga pepper called real deal. it is a habanero flavored tabasco heat level pepper. enjoy tricking people into thinking your feeding them spicy food. then giving them mild. it messes with the chili heads brain to smell 250k and get 1000 scoville in the mouth.
Another pepper that is like this is the NuMex Suave Orange by the Chile Pepper Institute, looks like an habanero orange or red.

Here is a pdf from HortSCcience

Another pepper that is like this is the NuMex Suave Orange by the Chile Pepper Institute, looks like an habanero orange or red.

Here is a pdf from HortSCcience
BADASS! THE 1ST YEAR i GREW GHOST PEPPERS, THE LADY AT THE NURSERY SOLD ME 2 PLANTS. ONE HAD 0 SCOVILLE, MIGHT AS WELL HAVE BEEN A BELL PEPPER. BUT IT TASTED LIKE A GHOST, THE OTER PLANT WAS A 1.2M SCOVILLE PEPPER. SORRY caps. she told me one person sent her bunk, the other sent her the hotness. I wish I had kept a cut off of the non hot one as it seems to have been a recessive freak as none of the plants from its seed came up heatless.

Back