outdoor strains

mogie

Looking for a very potent outdoor stain. Any suggestions? Ones that can be purchased and not just folklore or myth. :confused:

I dunno where you are in So Oregon, but... I grew all kinds of strains from my land race seed collection in Douglas County (in the Coast Range), and they all did well except the really late blooming Colombians and North Mexico Zacatecas Purple.

Last year I grew some newer available strains all started from clones indoors under lights, moved outdoors/to GH in April, and finished in the GH and indoors under lights. I grew Blue Dream (Santa Cruz cut), OG Kush (Ghost cut), White Widow and Granddaddy Purple/GDP. They all did well here last summer. WW finished first by mid Sept., with BD a close second in late Sept. OG Kush finished 3rd in early Oct. indoors under lights and GDP finished last under lights in mid October (picked a bit early). I like to smoke them in order of GDP, WW, BD, and OG. OG does not do that much for me. They were all easy to grow, except GDP was prone to PM and I had to spray it with refined Neem every 2 weeks in the GH. BD is also prone to spotty bud rot if they get any water drops on them. Last year was an early cool and wet fall. The year before that (the first legal grow year here) I grew a Mexican land race from Morelos, Mexico and an indoor heirloom from Humboldt, both from seeds. That year was a late warm and dry fall, and they all finished in the GH.

Of them all, White Widow was the easiest to grow and finished first. Potent weed. They are all top shelf strains.

Zacatecas purple! I'm jealous big sur. Can see where your handle comes from.. Any big sur holy genetics around these days? Sorry for hijacking the thread!

I want to know more about this strain too! I did a quick search on the internet but couldn't find a place to order seeds. Where did you get yours (if you don't mind me asking)?

Zacatecas purple? Pretty much exstinct nowdays.
Reeferman has big sur holy,
originaly from Danbo.
I got it from him to, around 15 years ago. Purple phenos were in there, but only males. Never found a purple female.
Purple females turned up in thseeds sage(first release). It was b.s.h.w x an afghan. The recipee changed after the first release. So i doubt the big
sur is in there, looks like a haze hybrid now. Bhodi has big sur holy bud strain. But i doubt its the real deal! Happy searching...S

Zacatecas purple! I'm jealous big sur. Can see where your handle comes from.. Any big sur holy genetics around these days? Sorry for hijacking the thread!

My BSHW/Zac purple seeds are from Big Sur in the mid 1970s, from weed that I got myself from friends there. I got a lot of weed from Big Sur, Guarapada, Polo Colorado, and Carmel Valley then. Before High times ruined things by posting regional prices paid for weed, and then the assholes with suitcases filled with cash arrived from back east, forcing prices sky high. I was also getting Thai sticks, hashish, and SE Asian weed through Ft Ord then, and imported Mexican and Colombian weed from all over. That place was pretty saturated with good cheap weed in the 1970s. I was also collecting and freezing seeds by then. I supplied several early growers in Pacific Valley and Carmel Valley with seeds from my collection. They grew some incredible stuff. I also grew my own, mostly Oaxacan and Colombian strains.

Big Sur Holy was not a cross (excuse the pun). It was a land race Zacatecas Purple sativa that some guys brought back from northern Mexico to Bug Sur in the 1960s. It was the first local weed that ever had a name that I heard about. That was in '72 or '73 in Prunedale at a party. There is (or was) an expose' online somewhere about the religious aspects of Zac Purple, but my Mexican friends in Gilroy that were from Zacatecas thought that was BS. The Catholic Church was (and still is) very much against the use of marihuana, especially in Mexico. The one thing that differentiates BSHW from most other early named weed like Haze is that it was NOT CROSSED with indica and other sativas like Colombian. It was grown in Big Sur for a decade or more, seemingly sporadically from original seeds, or from F1 seeds from the local Big Sur Holy grows.

My BSHW seeds are tiny and very dark purple. Until I got some land race Durban Poison seeds from South Africa that I am growing now, these were the smallest Cannabis seeds I had ever seen. They are still the only purple ones I have ever seen. I grew a few of these 8 years in Southern Oregon, and the stems turned dark purple and the tops were completely purple before flowering. They also grew really tall (they would have been 15 feet if I had not cut them back) and they flowered really late. Sadly that year the first frost was in early October, and I had to harvest them early. But even harvested early the weed was reasonable. I grew about 12 pounds of finished bud that year, from over 10 land race varieties (I went overboard) and so the purple stuff was put aside and forgotten about. I later turned those early purple buds onto hash oil with my sugar leaf trim from the other strains that winter.

Anyway, as far as I know I am the only one with any original BSHW purple seeds. I do not have many of them left. I may do a run of them in 2 years? This year I am growing 2 types of Durban Poison from ZA, and 2 types of Lebanese red land races from the Bekka Valley. Next year I am growing land race Kerala and black Indian ganja from seeds that I got from a friend in Europe. So I am back logged. I also have aver a dozen Colombian land races that I want to grow, and some original Thai. I also have some very early California heirlooms, and possibly an early Haze cross that I got in Gilroy in the early 80s. :cool:

Last edited:
By the way, I started saving and freezing seeds in the mid 1970s after I read the book, Marijuana Potency that said that they could be frozen and preserved, virtually forever. I have tested them over the years, and they are for the most part still as viable as they were 40 years ago when I bought them in bag weed. In the 60s and 70s, all weed was seeded until the sinsemilia revolution in the late 1970s. Even early on, the sinsemilia bag weed usually had some seeds in them, either from herms or stray males. Also Colombian weed was common well into the 80s and they excelled at producing seeds, which added weight. Of course, they also were giving away the genetics. That was also before the crossing with indica became more prevalent. These were mainly sativas from Mexico, Colombia, Thailand, and occasionally from Panama, India, Jamaica and Africa. For some reason we never got any weed from Brazil in NorCal. Indica for us was mainly supplied in the form of hashish, which did not come with any seeds. Hash plant weed crosses were not common until the 80s.

So most of my seeds I got from bag weed or from people that gave then to me when they found out that I collected MJ seeds. No one else did that back then that I was aware of. But most all weed came with seeds, and we had rolling trays to separate the seeds and stems from the flowers and leaves to roll joints with. Joints were the most common way to smoke weed then. Everyone had rolling papers and rolling trays, and roach clips. Most (but certainly not all) weed was seeded and typically less potent then, so joints made more sense to get more hits passing it among several people. It was the social thing to do then, light a joint and pass it around. Seeds in joints explode when they burn, so it was a party foul to roll a joint with any seeds in them.

Checking around the web it seems that there are a few people that claim to still be growing BSHW in the coast range south of Monterey. Likely they still are. Most people are growing more modern indica crosses of it though, or what is called M10. M10 was supposedly developed by Sacred Seeds. But I attribute anything from Dave Watson or about the "Haze Bros" as being pure DEA spawned fiction. I was there then. There also still seems to be the schism between pure bred land race growers like myself around Big Sur, and the breed it to death with indica people out there. Bhodi does these and calls them BSHW, but it is an indica cross. BSHW was and is a pure sativa. I know several breeders in Pacific Valley just south of Big Sur that started crossing early in the 1980s. I delved into crossing indicas a few times, but the results are so variable that I went back to growing and breeding land race sativas. They are stable to start with, and I had more seeds than I could grow in a lifetime. I never dreamed that my seeds would become a rarity. Not in a million years. I just saved them because I wanted to grow weed.

From my memory, BS Holy weed was called Holy because Brother Perry? grew it originally from Zacatecas Purple seeds at one of the several religious retreats down there. Some say he crossed it with an indica early on (posted here on Mr Nice someplace) but that is the other type of BS (as in bull shyte). No one had indicas growing there that early. And I mean NO ONE. BS Holy was also said to have been named Holy because it was said to be sacred in Zacatecas where it was from. I think that story is not accurate. In Mexico weed was grown and usually drunk as an infused tea by the indio populations that revered psychoactive plants. But weed was even more illegal in Mexico and earlier than it was here, and the Catholic Church wanted nothing to do with it (and they still are a huge force in keeping weed illegal). But, the source of BSHW is likely accurate as being from Zacatecas. In an odd twist of fate, northern Mexico strains bloom and finish rather late, whereas southwest Mexico strains (Oaxaca/Guerrero/Michoacan) bloom and finish earlier, and Colombian strains bloom and finish later than north Mexico strains.

Most all Mexico land race strains were derived from hemp brought to New Spain by the Spanish as early as 1500. The hemp that the Spanish brought and cultivated was called Manila hemp, sourced from the Philippines. It differs from the hemp brought to the American colonies by the English and Dutch. One would presume that the Cannabis growing in the Philippines was sourced from SE Asia at some point in time, and retained more psychoactive genetics than the hemp brought to New Amsterdam/New England. But that is purely conjecture on my part. What happened after that is that the local populations figured out that the hemp flowers were mildly psychoactive, and they grew and bread it for those properties on small plots away from the hemp farms and away from the eyes of the Catholic Church, developing the land race Marihuana strains that evolved by the 1960s with different terpenes and cannabinoid combinations. The name "Marihuana" was also coined during that time in Mexico, but no one knows exactly where or when. Each region developed strains over time that differed in highs and became sales names in NorCal, like Zacatecas Purple, Acapulco Gold, and Panama Red. Just the way it was then. Weed was always named for where it was from and maybe an obvious attribute. All bag weed was land race then. There were no crosses available, at least until the mid to late 1970s. Certainly people started crossing much earlier in different places, but that was small and localized. I started getting really good local weed in about 1977 or so. That was still mostly pure sativa. Then things changed fast and breeders went bonkers with indicas in the 1980s.

Last edited:
Checking around the web it seems that there are a few people that claim to still be growing BSHW in the coast range south of Monterey. Likely they still are. Most people are growing more modern indica crosses of it though, or what is called M10. M10 was supposedly developed by Sacred Seeds. But I attribute anything from Dave Watson or about the "Haze Bros" as being pure DEA spawned fiction. I was there then. There also still seems to be the schism between pure bred land race growers like myself around Big Sur, and the breed it to death with indica people out there. Bhodi does these and calls them BSHW, but it is an indica cross. BSHW was and is a pure sativa. I know several breeders in Pacific Valley just south of Big Sur that started crossing early in the 1980s. I delved into crossing indicas a few times, but the results are so variable that I went back to growing and breeding land race sativas. They are stable to start with, and I had more seeds than I could grow in a lifetime. I never dreamed that my seeds would become a rarity. Not in a million years. I just saved them because I wanted to grow weed.

From my memory, BS Holy weed was called Holy because Brother Perry? grew it originally from Zacatecas Purple seeds at one of the several religious retreats down there. Some say he crossed it with an indica early on (posted here on Mr Nice someplace) but that is the other type of BS (as in bull shyte). No one had indicas growing there that early. And I mean NO ONE. BS Holy was also said to have been named Holy because it was said to be sacred in Zacatecas where it was from. I think that story is not accurate. In Mexico weed was grown and usually drunk as an infused tea by the indio populations that revered psychoactive plants. But weed was even more illegal in Mexico and earlier than it was here, and the Catholic Church wanted nothing to do with it (and they still are a huge force in keeping weed illegal). But, the source of BSHW is likely accurate as being from Zacatecas. In an odd twist of fate, northern Mexico strains bloom and finish rather late, whereas southwest Mexico strains (Oaxaca/Guerrero/Michoacan) bloom and finish earlier, and Colombian strains bloom and finish later than north Mexico strains.

Most all Mexico land race strains were derived from hemp brought to New Spain by the Spanish as early as 1500. The hemp that the Spanish brought and cultivated was called Manila hemp, sourced from the Philippines. It differs from the hemp brought to the American colonies by the English and Dutch. One would presume that the Cannabis growing in the Philippines was sourced from SE Asia at some point in time, and retained more psychoactive genetics than the hemp brought to New Amsterdam/New England. But that is purely conjecture on my part. What happened after that is that the local populations figured out that the hemp flowers were mildly psychoactive, and they grew and bread it for those properties on small plots away from the hemp farms and away from the eyes of the Catholic Church, developing the land race Marihuana strains that evolved by the 1960s with different terpenes and cannabinoid combinations. The name "Marihuana" was also coined during that time in Mexico, but no one knows exactly where or when. Each region developed strains over time that differed in highs and became sales names in NorCal, like Zacatecas Purple, Acapulco Gold, and Panama Red. Just the way it was then. Weed was always named for where it was from and maybe an obvious attribute. All bag weed was land race then. There were no crosses available, at least until the mid to late 1970s. Certainly people started crossing much earlier in different places, but that was small and localized. I started getting really good local weed in about 1977 or so. That was still mostly pure sativa. Then things changed fast and breeders went bonkers with indicas in the 1980s.

G `day BS

Hmmmm ,
That generalisation about who was growing what .

Hippies were doing the trail from EU to India since the 60s . Not one of those travelers brought back a seed ?

Your nemesis Sam S was in Afghanistan in 71 .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Looking for a very potent outdoor stain. Any suggestions? Ones that can be purchased and not just folklore or myth. :confused:

mksk or g13sk is good for outdoor and they finish in october with a very good quantity and quality of smoke

best regards

Pretty general question braddah. Potent how? Indica or sat? Body or head- euphoria or couch lock? Medical need or rec? Grow time, grow zone? Resources available? Lots of question I have...

Aloha
M

G `day BS

Hmmmm ,
That generalisation about who was growing what .

Hippies were doing the trail from EU to India since the 60s . Not one of those travelers brought back a seed ?

Your nemesis Sam S was in Afghanistan in 71 .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Ya, and I was on the planet Mars in '71 too. I can refute about 99% of what El Narco Watson claims about NorCal from '66 on. Plain and simple, he is full of DEA cover story shit. But believe what you will. *My* experience as a hippie on the west coast (pony tail, motorcycle and all) is that *I* never saw weed crossed with indica until the late 1970s at the very earliest. The indica that I saw being brought back from central Asia and North Africa in the later 60s and 70s was in the form of hashish, and not seeded weed. The hashish did not have any seeds. The sativas from around the globe had seeds and was sold as bag weed. Sativas dominated the market then. They also dominated the early California grows. That is what I saw living there anyway. The Hippie Trail was one thing, but Big Sur was the holy Mecca of hippies in the 60s. Certainly someone brought in indica seeds at some point. But also into the mid 1970s most people in California did not know how to grow good weed. Good weed, not just any weed.

By they way, the notion of what was called Big Sur Holy Weed being an indica cross is pure fantasy. Or later attempts by seed sellers to rip people off thinking that their indica crosses are somehow related to BSHW. The Big Sewer Holee seeds that I have are tiny tiny purple sativa seeds, resulting in true to form giant late blooming purple sativa plants. I got these seeds in Big Sur in a bag of weed. It was not called Holy Weed. That was too passe' a name by then. It was called Big Sur Purple bud. Actually I only heard of Big Sur weed being called BSHW around 1970 to 1972 and the name went extinct until more recently. I knew one breeder in Pacific Valley that started crossing African indica strains in '79, and that was as early as I saw anyone doing that. I had supplied land race seeds (sativas) to several growers in Carmel Valley and Big Sur in the late 1970s and the weed I got from them as a 'thank you' absolutely knocked people on their asses on Telegraph Ave and stoned out of their minds on Asilomar Beach and in Santa Cruz. Including complete stoners like CrazyHorse, Niel Young's band at that time. But that is another story...

Last edited:

Yawn. What part of the question about "potent strain that can be purchased that is not folklore" is misunderstood?

Aloha
M

Pretty general question braddah. Potent how? Indica or sat? Body or head- euphoria or couch lock? Medical need or rec? Grow time, grow zone? Resources available? Lots of question I have...

Aloha
M

Knock my socks off potent. Don't care about the type of high or if it's med or rec. Grow time and other stuff not important. Looking at Chocolate Mint and Honey OG. Anyone have any experience with those? I can deal with divas (the plants that is). Special growing tips welcome (like doesn't like wet feet, nute at 1/2 strength, needs support for long branching, etc.)

Sorry to be more clear that is Chocolate Mint OG and Honey OG (two different strains). I realize I could have been clearer. I must have had a brain fart!

Hey Big Sur, I want to let you know that I've really enjoyed the content you've posted in this thread, and in others. Looks like we're about the same age, but grew up on different coasts. You enjoyed a much more robust weed scene in your youth than I did. Great to hear some background on Big Sur Holy Weed.

as a sativa fan and freak, i cant add much more useful info in here, other than the strain SAGE from thseeds (supposed to contain BSHW) , is special in the means that its different than other sativas, mostly haze versions, in and around europe / africa

its quality has a reasonable legitimacy, and is one of the strains i would grow over and over without a second thought, it is good, even that good, that the sour in sage n sour, is dragging down the quality of the cross to a "felt" skunk level, even their mother cut cant reach up into that league , and by league im talking C5 or A5 as a reference ... yep, that good it is

where is Joe, when you need him?

We are limited by law to 4 plants and we grow only once in year so we have to make those count. Can't sample many strains that is why I was asking if anyone had any info on the Chocolate Mint OG or the Honey OG. That is also why I asked about killer strains. We don't have much money and want to make a seed purchase count because it will have to last me for several years. Hence the reason for a killer strain recommendation. This has to be a one strain does it all type of smoke. I know that is asking a lot but I have saved for nearly 3 years for this seed purchase and don't want to regret my final selection.

Mogie..mmmm....so many choices and so many variables.... Put simply you know what you like and what your season is like...it is a question best answered by yourself after some sampling and reading. Back yourself bro.

Big sur...Id like to thank you for your input again...always so educational and enjoyable to read. Respect

You seem to be interested in OG- can I assume more interested in Indie varieties? Is your past experience limited to clones and fem seeds? Seeds got from MRN will require selection on your part. If you're willing to take the time in this process you will be rewarded with the "killer" you are looking for. Limited funds? Pick an affordable hybrid. Pushed to the wall, I would recommend you start with MasterKaze. Excellent selection of Indica plants with some haze plants too! Ortega and Nl5/Afghan are also solid Indie choices. If you take the time with any of these varieties, you will find what you are looking for.

Cool runnin
M

Back