How Long can you keep your Mom?

r543

Ive heard allot of debate on the subject but wanted to hear from the long time growers (10 years +)

1. What is the recomended time to keep a specific plant alive?ie. 6 months, 1 year, 2 year, indefinently?

2. How many clone generations are too many?

3. Ive read in Shanti description of G13 that the clone mother had died and thats why they needed to be an ibl. Does this indicate a limit o the amount of times you can take a clone of a clone?

For the past 5 years I have kept one of my mothers alive by recloning and replacing her every 1 -1.5 years with a new cutting. Im on the 4th gen. What kind of time frame can I hope to keep this badboy?

comonly i go 3-4 years before taking a new clone as the new mother, i see no difference in the clone/plants taken at 1 year or at the 4th year, and ive cloned off clones of clones of clones 10 maybe 20 times and have yet to see any difference

so long as the plant/plants clone/clones are healthy and remain so you wont imo ever see an issue

new moms every year

I prefer using a new clone every year for next year's mothers. Have done this for many years across many strains and no loss of vigor noted. Since cannabis is an annual, it's natural tendency is not of a plant that is kept alive for years on end, but you can keep original mothers going for some time.

Many distinct phenotypes of fruit trees have been kept alive for centuries by grafting and cloning without any loss of vigor. I don't see why cannabis would be any different.

Forever

You can keep cloning (clone from clone) or keep one mother forever, there is never a loss of vigor (that is a myth). It is best to place a plant in real sunlight to restore vigor once in a while when you feel it is needed. With keeping one mother the trick is to keep trimming so you have soft succulent new growth for clone material (not woody).

Shanti

Shanti should be the one answering this questions he's had some mothers for 20 plus years. I would like to know his method for keeping them alive

I had the same critical mass mum for about 5-6years, I used a new clone each year and also didnt notice any loss of vigor. I remember reading somewhere Shanti recommends growing the mother plant in natural sunlight preferably in the summer months to help retain vigor.

ghost, thanks for the article. Learned a few things. Really nice set up Shanti has. I have a long way to go to get as nice a set of rooms as shown in the pics.

I can't afford the electric bill to do as good a job. That's why I put up a thread asking about solar power for grow rooms. If I can get 3 rooms powered by electric from the sun, I'll be able to take a personal quantum leap forward.

I have 2 small rooms now, but have to pay the local power co to put to run the lights. I have a shed to put together, but no solar set up for it yet.

I am inspired by the article. Chompin at the bit to get solar going I am...:D

mM

coconut water

coconut water is the one of the healthy water.its such a energy drink.its make body full with energy.its taste is fabulous.i love this more and more.its full fresh and heginine..

I talked to several commercial clone suppliers in Humboldt Co. recently, and they said that they only keep mothers around for about 6 months on average. In other words, some clones are made just to replace their mothers every few months. They cited several reason for doing this, mainly plant vigor, managing their size and keeping out diseases.

I have kept mothers for up to 2 years, but they tend to get woody and they can get cluttered with multiple stems and stem cuts which are more prone to stem rot. They also tend to get more gnarly and rigid.

No point keeping big mother's unless you're growing a bunch of the same weed like if you had the first GSC that was selling like a bastard.

I keep mother's in smaller pots and replace them regularly with a clone people want variety just like me. After all variety is the true spice of life.

A bit of the reason I don't believe in terpines making a better high because I would want to smoke one flavor not a variety of flavors. But anything to make an extra buck. Lol

Ive heard allot of debate on the subject but wanted to hear from the long time growers (10 years +)

1. What is the recomended time to keep a specific plant alive?ie. 6 months, 1 year, 2 year, indefinently?

3. Ive read in Shanti description of G13 that the clone mother had died and thats why they needed to be an ibl. Does this indicate a limit o the amount of times you can take a clone of a clone?

For the past 5 years I have kept one of my mothers alive by recloning and replacing her every 1 -1.5 years with a new cutting. Im on the 4th gen. What kind of time frame can I hope to keep this badboy?
As for G13 did it really die? Nevil sold everything to Ben so their is a chance Sensi Seeds has the original mother.

But then again Chimera claimed his Orange whatever mom died lived like 25+ years. But then also again Sweet Pink Grapefruit is still alive and well and must be over 20 years old just wasn't hoarded like G13 and NL#5 etc.

I really can't say too many stories Shanti does seem pretty honest but I never really met him or Nevil. But the proof is in the seed as far as I'm concerned very little have tried the original G13 or NL#5 pure anyways just crosses.

Afaik the "pure" G13 at least have been confirmed hacks throughout the years.

When I researched the strain, no reputable seedbank had a "pure" G13, only hacks did.

The only reputable source I could find was the MRN crosses to Skunk, Widow and Haze.

The Northern Lights seems better, there seem to be at least some reputable sources out there, including the Ortega.
I grew the Nirvana NL way back when and had nothing to compare it to or say if it was legit or not. Can only say that it was a very Indica heavy stone and seemed as advertised to me.

There might be clones of these legendary plants, including the Sweet Pink Grapefruit and others. But even in places where clones are traded more or less legally (think Austria or the recent US/CA), it seems to be very much a crapshoot if you get the real deal or just some random clone of an unknown strain that fits the profile of what people expect from a strain like G13 or Sweet Pink Grapefruit.

It is very iffy, because this whole industry has been and still is in a gray area. There is not accountability and no quality control or whatever.
And chances are that someone who bought seeds from a hack claiming to have the original G13 clone, will be heavily inclined to believe whatever he/she grew is the actual G13. Because they just spend lots of money, time and effort on growing it.

Just how the story goes... Me, personally, I decided to simply find a reputable grower and grow their seeds and make my own experiences and feel confident that I got what was advertised if the results match.

But take Bubblegum for example:
This was a top 5 strain I wanted to obtain. But there is no reputable source for it. There are people claiming to have the "real deal" Bubblegum in clone form, and I actually tend to believe them in this particular case, but obtaining a clone from overseas was not worth the risk for me. There was no reputable breeder whose seeds are confirmed as the real deal by growers out there, so I simply wrote the strain off.

I still have my eyes out for a breeder emerging with the real deal Bubblegum but neither TH Seeds feminizing their line (which already had a doubtful reputation at best before that move), nor Serious Seeds "reworking" their Bubblegum and sending out testers were anything to convince me.

Currently I believe Nirvana's Bubblicious or White Label's DoubleGum to be the best bet but I have prime genetics in my stable and don't see why I should drop down a level to Nirvana/WL...

So I wait. And I suggest to anyone who can't find a reputable breeder offering the strain they are interested in, to do the same.

I would rather sit here and wait for legalisation to proceed and more people to grow and find stuff and then hope one of them finds a "true" Bubblegum and hope by that time I have something to trade them for, than go through packs of questionable seeds in the hope of striking gold at some point.
I have better seeds to go through with a higher likelihood of striking gold :p

My SD is going on 11 yrs. No, she is not the original clone I got. She is a clone of the original clone. When Mom starts getting woody she gets grown out and her clones take her place.

Aloha
M

A bit of the reason I don't believe in terpines making a better high because I would want to smoke one flavor not a variety of flavors. But anything to make an extra buck. Lol

Newer studies show that terpenes affect the high by being made into terpenoids by the plant and then combining with cannibinoids to make more complex molecules. That in turn makes more complex (or sometimes simpler) highs. Maybe better highs, maybe not. It depends on the terpene and the cannibinoid matrix of the strain. Terpenes are not just influencing flavor. They are influencing the high. Or stone. I used to not think that much of terpenes, but I have changed my view on them more recently. They find more terpenes every day, and more cannabinoids every week. Something like 500 terpenes now, and over 100 cannabinoids?

Also weed is dynamic. It does not stay the same before or after harvest. THCa becomes THC as it dries or is 'cooked' (decarboxylation). THC becomes to CBN over a longer period of time in harvested bud, at the rate of about 10% a year. That mellows the high out with more CBN, as seen in Red Lebanese hash which is well aged by the time it is harvested, stored, processed and shipped. The aging process also lowers the THC potency. I believe that terpenes are also affected with age as they decompose, so this also affects the high over time. This may or may not be a desirable effect, depending on the strain and what you want in a high (medical or rec).

That said, I have a land race Oaxaca that is so minty that I cannot smoke it. I grew 2 girls of this strain one year, and they were both massively minty. I found the terpenes in them to be way too strong. I tend to harvest weed earlier than later though. Maybe if I had left them to mature longer the terpenes would have been reduced, like Cali-O loses its orange flavor the more it matures and ripens. Oaxaca is (or was) known for its minty favors.

These aging and terpene effects are not attributed to plant age though, they are attributed to time of harvest and the curing of harvested buds. As in old mothers do not produce higher CBN weed or more degraded terpenes as they age.

Last edited:
Newer studies show that terpenes affect the high by being made into terpenoids by the plant and then combining with cannibinoids to make more complex molecules. That in turn makes more complex (or sometimes simpler) highs. Maybe better highs, maybe not. It depends on the terpene and the cannibinoid matrix of the strain. Terpenes are not just influencing flavor. They are influencing the high. Or stone. I used to not think that much of terpenes, but I have changed my view on them more recently. They find more terpenes every day, and more cannabinoids every week. Something like 500 terpenes now, and over 100 cannabinoids?

Also weed is dynamic. It does not stay the same before or after harvest. THCa becomes THC as it dries or is 'cooked' (decarboxylation). THC becomes to CBN over a longer period of time in harvested bud, at the rate of about 10% a year. That mellows the high out with more CBN, as seen in Red Lebanese hash which is well aged by the time it is harvested, stored, processed and shipped. The aging process also lowers the THC potency. I believe that terpenes are also affected with age as they decompose, so this also affects the high over time. This may or may not be a desirable effect, depending on the strain and what you want in a high (medical or rec).

That said, I have a land race Oaxaca that is so minty that I cannot smoke it. I grew 2 girls of this strain one year, and they were both massively minty. I found the terpenes in them to be way too strong. I tend to harvest weed earlier than later though. Maybe if I had left them to mature longer the terpenes would have been reduced, like Cali-O loses its orange flavor the more it matures and ripens. Oaxaca is (or was) known for its minty favors.

These aging and terpene effects are not attributed to plant age though, they are attributed to time of harvest and the curing of harvested buds. As in old mothers do not produce higher CBN weed or more degraded terpenes as they age.

G `day BS

Old school drying tech was most probably in the sun .
That will turn the buds gold and burn off a lot of terpenes .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Back