Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS strains and grow diaries > 5. Strain Base > Early Skunk Haze

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2014, 03:15 PM

Default Grover's Early Skunk Haze 1

Hello everyone,

I planted a packet of these recently - just to see how they go.

I didn't take any cuts (for mothers) as the mother room is full of Nev's Haze and Kali Mist right now but if there is anything that smells special or takes my fancy then I suppose I could re-veg...

There is not a lot of useful information about this strain on the net so I thought it just might be useful to somebody if I noted down a few thoughts as I go.

First off, my thoughts were of the greenhouse this summer. I've done skunk/haze in the greenhouse many a time, with reasonable to good success. I have also had some success with Early Pearl crosses in the past. This Early Pearl Skunk/Haze finishes a week or 2 before skunk/haze might and outdoors, that can be useful.

I was also thinking that any 50% haze that finishes in 8 weeks or early October is extremely useful indeed.

So, practical applications as well as a love for Skunk/Haze led my decision making here.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:35 PM

NEWSFLASH - Just got a triple yoker from one of my chickens. Had it poached on toast whilst typing that first bit!

TRIPLE YOKER - COME ON!!!
Old 06-04-2014, 04:12 PM

OK, back to the plants.

I planted 18 seeds. Got 18 seedlings and 11 females. (I know. 'Bout time, too.)
So, 1 pack, less than 50, including postage (I think anyway) and 11 females to choose from.

Fantastic so far.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:30 PM

I noted than this strain is not supposed to stretch much on flowering, so I vegged my plants for a few weeks, until they were strong and had maybe 4-6 pairs of branches on them.

Then I flipped 'em, waited for females and repotted them into 35litre pots.

I fed them only rain water and nothing else at this stage.

I expected them to stretch a bit (maybe like an indica, 2X or 3X) they weren't really that tall when I put them in. In fact, I was worried about wether they would be too small when they finally stopped growing and started flowering.

After all, it clearly states that indoors would need a good vegging to get going.

This is a lesson in considering ALL the facts before going for a strain.

Whatever the blurb says, 50% haze is 50% haze (and not genetically, like SSH or Mango but this actually has a pure haze parent, as opposed to 2 haze hybrid parents..)

Of my 11 females, I have 2 that are about 8 feet, 5 that are over 6 feet and 4 at about 4 feet. They have all started flowering a few weeks ago. They started quickly and abruptly for 50% haze hybrids.

1 plant (about 6 or 7 feet tall and beautifully shaped and vigorous) has the only flowers that smell at this point. It is a citric kinda funky spicy thing at the moment. This is obviously my favourite plant so far.

About the 8-10 week thing.... I would say (though I may be very surprised) that HALF of my plants will go over 10 weeks 1 or 2 will go 12 or more, I think...

The branches are long and very broadly angled (some are virtually horizontal) and even the small skunkier ones have a distinctly hazy look to them. The buds are all quite fluffy looking so far.

This is going to turn into an indoor "head-stash" grow, I can feel it. The plants are not all that practical at all. They are very tall and stretchy but they did start promptly and fully.

I am very much enjoying what is turning out to be a fascinating and fun grow. I am hoping for a wide variety of smells to enjoy.

I have started feeding lightly with some grow and bloom as well as some cal/mag supplements and some carbs (low levels at this stage.) The plants have grown vigorously and have LOVED the pure rain water but I don't want them to tire - they are large, after all and have been sprinting up to this point...
Old 06-06-2014, 11:21 PM

My memory didn't serve me well. All but 1 are 6ft or over. The other is a runt at 4ft. These could be very sativa leaning for 50/50s (I hope.)

The EPSkunk side should provide for a quick finish so let's wait and see just how long they take.. but when I see sativas like that I think 12/13 weekers, usually...

High vigour, low odour so far. They look very healthy. They are stretchy. Classic Skunk/Haze, really. I hope they smoke like classic Skunk/Haze!

I could really see these growing in a MASSIVE pot, in a big ol' greenhouse - or outdoors, in the ground.. but I wouldn't want to 'by-hand' one of these monsters.

Let's hope the smells pick up. It's early days yet but 1 or 2 are starting to release aromas.

Last edited by The Grey Man; 06-06-2014 at 11:24 PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:17 PM

Good luck bro...

Hope alls well..

Peace
BL
Old 06-07-2014, 06:19 PM

Thanks Billy

I've missed you!

All is well - I'm a Dad now! (maybe not quite ALL - I'm married, too, but you've gotta take the rough with the smooth..)

I hope you're well. Are you still plumbing together the second best hydro grows in England? (Heath Robinson's grows still blow my mind..)

You smoking at the moment? (Kids and work allowing)
Old 06-07-2014, 07:50 PM

Hey bro,

Congrats on the fatherhood, and commiserations on the marriage lol...

Yeah missed you too, must have been a couple of years now hey? Twas an exodous...

Running nft for the last year or so, prob the first time I've use a system not made be me lol... But works well and practical.. Of course its modified tho, auto top up etc.... Old heath set the bar high, second place is OK though hehee...

Yes smoking, got a cut we've called pineapple haze for years, but as its from sonic he's recently id'd it as a lemon pursang, its a nice yielder, quite sativa in effect and a lovely hazey aroma, some leather scent imo so I'd guess at some haze a in the original haze in the breed...

But yeah work and kids still let's me have a few evening joints..

Good to chat mate, you still got my email Addy?

Peace
BL
Old 06-09-2014, 10:45 PM

Quick update - the flowers are coming along very well now. They are creamy, mostly round and fluffy. Some are building into spear-like colas.

They are actually growing pretty fast now.

Because of the plants open structure and near horizontal branches (except in just 2 cases, where the branches are much tighter and the structure is more single cola dominant..) the fluffy buds are filling right down the branch to the centre of the plant. It would probably be right down to the bottom of the plant too if they weren't so tightly packed in...

The internode length is long in most cases but 1 or 2 with shorter internodes have fluffy buds growing one after the other right down the length of their branches. I like these particular 1 or 2 plants a lot!

Because of the fluffy nature of the flowers, the open structure of the plants, the long internode lengths and the overall vigour, I could really imagine growing these outdoors or in the greenhouse. Moulds wouldn't be a problem and haze loves the cold, too. Keep it out of the wind (skunks always go leafy in the wind..) and I reckon you could be harvesting a whole massive pile of hazy loveliness. Early to mid October is mind blowing. I think maybe the height could be controlled by keeping the temps down (mine got a little hot at the start) and growing clones instead of from seed.

The aromas are now coming from almost all of the plants and it is pretty uniform.
There is not really any citric left now. If there ever was much.
Almost all of the flowers posses that sweet/sour kinda peppery(ish) haze smell that any skunk/haze lovers will recognise straight away. It is actually very pleasant and I know that if the smoke is sweet then that type of flavour is fantastic. I must be careful with the feeding. Not much on the skunk side of the flavour spectrum, really.

So far, classic Skunk/Haze, really, just a little quicker off the mark. It is billed as a well balanced indica/sativa and I would say that it is VERY well balanced - WAY towards the sativa side, that is. Maybe it is just this years batch or maybe it is just my garden or techniques (failures?) that are making them seem that way. Unfortunately I have no indicas in the room to use as a benchmark.

RIP Rik Mayall - funny guy.

Last edited by The Grey Man; 06-09-2014 at 10:48 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:53 AM

Here's some photos of the flowers. Sorry about quality, etc...

This is a branch with buds from top to bottom. Yeah!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ESH1.JPG (771.2 KB, 36 views)