Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS strains and grow diaries > 5. Strain Base > Black Widow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2011, 08:58 AM

But that sativa brother, is all I seek.
I think you found a rare gem.
maybe some recessive gene out of line selection
expressed by some environmental stress, etc.
Congratulations Sativa's Guide
Old 03-17-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
But that sativa brother, is all I seek.
I think you found a rare gem.
maybe some recessive gene out of line selection
expressed by some environmental stress, etc.
Congratulations Sativa's Guide
The problem for me is that i don't want this sativa dom. Unlucky i am.

Quote:
you should try that plant in a large pot next time.
Larger plants like more soil, and are usually easier maintained in a 3-5gal container. Hope that helps.
I have a similar looking pheno, stretches and does not yeild the best, but that is done quite earlier too, but don't that fool you it might be the strongest plant i found in the batch. I don't think i would run a room of it, but it might be perfect for my locale for an outdoor plant.
Yes, it is that i saw, they need more large pot to grow, but i don't want to grow this kind of pheno.

If they are like this because off stress, i think BW are very sensbile, and i repeat myself, not for beginner I am not a begginer now, i know exactly what i do, i don't put lot of fertilizer, only AB vega, AB flores, trichoderma, enzymes, PK and not too much.

On the last session, i volontary surfertilized them, i know how to surfertilize or not, those black widow hasn't to much fertilizer.

Thanks for your advise coop and pashupati.

So now, every grower who will started BW don't know what they will have.

Take the redeye_420, redeye24/7, linkakajp, and mine, and you see the whole pheno you can get i think, a lot.

If i take this information from Shantibaba :

Quote:
If you ever saw a real widow you will know it is golf ball size buds not large like Critical mass
how much black widow like this you saw in your package of 20 seeds?

Linkakajp, 3 or 4 on 40seeds.

Last edited by DedeLaCreme; 03-17-2011 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:27 AM

Mmmmh, nice pheno

Quote:
I do have to say Shanti's is quite correct to run them a few times
It is also my point of view. I always run in flowering minium 2 times all the clone. And to better learn how to better grow all pheno, i always flowered them more than 2 times.

So not a lot of keeper with this kind pheno like yours. It is this kind of pheno that i'm looking for but, on my run, no one like this, only the #5 flowered in correct time but look more sativa than indica, but less than the 4 others, the #15 was late, so i don't talk about it, for this one, i accept that she had have stress.

Edit : you keep the #5 too? lol, me too ^^ , this tell nothing but it is fun

Last edited by DedeLaCreme; 03-17-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:41 AM

Default If at first you don't succeed.......

Hi Dede,

You'll find many phenotypes in a pack of seeds, and each different seed will react to it's environment.

The way I see it is like this, I'll source a packet of seeds from a breeder, in that pack there will be many phenotypes, once all of them plants have been grown to maturity and tested for strength and flavour I then choose the best (suited to me) of the cuttings from the phenotypes I have that I will keep and then discard the rest. So if I have 20 seeds, roughly half of them will be male, so they will be discarded, that will leave me with roughly 10 females to choose from, out of them 10 plants I will find roughly 2 or 3 keepers that match what I'm looking for in a plant.

Black Widow is in my eyes definitely a good plant for beginner growers, I would know this after growing it over three cycles back in the late 90's (when I began my adventure into the world of growing Cannabis) and my most current Black Widow grow in 2010. I am no expert at growing Cannabis, hence why I think it is suitable for newbies.

I can't believe you didn't finish the cycle of the Black Widow, like I mentioned in my PM, the lemon type phenotype you had is the one I'm particularly after, and have been for a long time. You really should have finished it till the end, you could have easily used bending techniques in the veg cycle to accommodate the plants in your room in preparation for the flowering cycle(via a mesh fence sat on top of the plants and by manoeuvring the plants around the mesh), but they've come down now so you've wasted your time, effort and money.

Why don't you try another pack of Black Widow, afterall passing judgement on a plant from one pack of seeds seems a bit harsh, especially considering you didn't finish the plants to fruition to judge them - just a thought.

The Black Widow I grew was great in every aspect including bud; structure; growth; taste; smoke and looks, apart from the fact that I didn't find the particular phenotype I was after - which I have aptly named 'The Killer Tang'.

Hope you try another pack out, but if your worried about the sativa side of a plant, then maybe order one of Shantis' indica dom plants instead?

By the way I think I used 11 litre pots, which were 3x what you were using (3.5L), that might explain the stretch on some of them?

Good luck with your future endeavours!

Peace.

Red.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DedeLaCreme View Post
The problem for me is that i don't want this sativa dom. Unlucky i am.
Hey man don't worry, these sativas flowering are usually very long, but they are a kick in the brain, a lot of THC, believe me you're a lucky guy!!!! This here just would be cause for much celebration... But I understood that is not what you sought.... =/

Quote:
If they are like this because off stress, i think BW are very sensbile, and i repeat myself, not for beginne
Not quite.
the self DNA replication is not perfect, and that is what gives rise to genetic variability. Shanti said BW is a plant that contains genes from a Brazilian sativa and one Indian indica, selected to express the phenotype indicates, shortening the bloom and everything, but the plant has not lost sativa genes and can express these genes since they are in his DNA, some genes are expressed when the plants are exposed to some type of stress as a form of self defense, cannabis is very sagacious. I guess there's nothing wrong with your BW, unfortunately looks like you got the package raffled, one thing I know, bad stuff never will be
Old 03-17-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
You'll find many phenotypes in a pack of seeds, and each different seed will react to it's environment.
I m agree with that and already know that, but, they are strain with less phenotype too.

Quote:
The way I see it is like this, I'll source a packet of seeds from a breeder, in that pack there will be many phenotypes, once all of them plants have been grown to maturity and tested for strength and flavour I then choose the best (suited to me) of the cuttings from the phenotypes I have that I will keep and then discard the rest. So if I have 20 seeds, roughly half of them will be male, so they will be discarded, that will leave me with roughly 10 females to choose from, out of them 10 plants I will find roughly 2 or 3 keepers that match what I'm looking for in a plant.
22 seeds, 18 germinated, 6 femalles, that reduce a lot the choice.

Quote:
I am no expert at growing Cannabis, hence why I think it is suitable for newbies.
i m not expert to, and not a newbie, and for me, it can be difficult to grow black widow with those 22 seeds i had.

Quote:
I can't believe you didn't finish the cycle of the Black Widow, like I mentioned in my PM, the lemon type phenotype you had is the one I'm particularly after, and have been for a long time. You really should have finished it till the end, you could have easily used bending techniques in the veg cycle to accommodate the plants in your room in preparation for the flowering cycle(via a mesh fence sat on top of the plants and by manoeuvring the plants around the mesh), but they've come down now so you've wasted your time, effort and money.
Like i say, i want to grow them in good conditions, i am not a newbies now, and for me, plant who gonna finish ther flowering the head on the bulb it isn't good at all, if we want stress them with that we stress them.

I fold all of them, 2 fold, and don't stop stretching, not possible for me to keep them in flowering. I know how to work with plant, on this run, nothing to do to have a good end. My room is small, 1.60m from floor to roof only for plant, for those pheno, it isn't the good room, but no room pb, no light leak, good ventilation.

I put the #5 the only one who flowered and have trichome in correctly time. That why also i ask myself, why only one on 5, i think that those other 4 are too much sativa for me.

Quote:
Why don't you try another pack of Black Widow, afterall passing judgement on a plant from one pack of seeds seems a bit harsh, especially considering you didn't finish the plants to fruition to judge them - just a thought.
As you can see in my diary, do i have to take the risk to have the same crop and same stretch problem? I prefer found a clone already selected

Quote:
The Black Widow I grew was great in every aspect including bud; structure; growth; taste; smoke and looks, apart from the fact that I didn't find the particular phenotype I was after - which I have aptly named 'The Killer Tang'.
I am sure that this black widow can give good plant, i m not extremist, but hard to find than other strain, we can't tell anything else.

Quote:
By the way I think I used 11 litre pots, which were 3x what you were using (3.5L), that might explain the stretch on some of them?
Yes, 3.5l for those plant is too little, no problem with that, but like i say, i don't want to grow this kind of to much sativa pheno. Edit : i m not sure that 3.5l pot give more stretch, i would see that already i think, maybe in soil, but not in coco, i don't grow in soil.

I will put informations on the #5 on this diary, now i hope she isn't hermi, but, hermi is an other questions. Starting flowering hermi or end of flowering hermi, i know that too, hope to have in the worst case only end flowering banana. I will stress it volontary now, i will grow it with other clone, and i like to stress clone to push the banana out not that i like banana, but i want to keep not to much sensible pheno.

Thank you to give your mind on black widow redeye_420

Quote:
i still have all three of my phenos, and still need to test the 4 my other friend has. I'm glad i still have them all because my mind changes all the time. I am currently smoking what i would call the early hybrid pheno and for something that is ready in under 50 days it is incredibly potent smoke.
Yes, it is hard to choose sometime, i don't like to kill easily plant, it is the first time i kill plant like this, but i think in my situation that is the better way to not loose too much time for nothing.

Quote:
Hey man don't worry, these sativas flowering are usually very long, but they are a kick in the brain, a lot of THC, believe me you're a lucky guy!!!! This here just would be cause for much celebration... But I understood that is not what you sought.... =/
Depend of what we want, we all have different need. In my situation, i m not lucky , and maybe an other grower will be not lucky with indica dom , but all the pheno are still alive, i had killed the plants in flowering only.

Quote:
the self DNA replication is not perfect, and that is what gives rise to genetic variability. Shanti said BW is a plant that contains genes from a Brazilian sativa and one Indian indica, selected to express the phenotype indicates, shortening the bloom and everything, but the plant has not lost sativa genes and can express these genes since they are in his DNA, some genes are expressed when the plants are exposed to some type of stress as a form of self defense, cannabis is very sagacious. I guess there's nothing wrong with your BW, unfortunately looks like you got the package raffled, one thing I know, bad stuff never will be
Yes, no problem with that too, but very suprised with this package.

I was thinking that the breeder's work was to have whole plante enough similar to avoid to have only one part off dom present on 20 seeds or on most of the femalles only.

That why i say to shantibaba, that when we look the photos on the mrnice website, we can't imagine to have sativa pheno, in you read the skunk, she have also sativa part, but i know that skunk and black widow aren't the same work and origin. The photos look like your #5 coop, or all your Black widow redeye_420, but not the redeye24/7 plant, so a newbie don't know what can happen in a cross like that, he have to read all the forum before, and not every body can read english. So for beginner, mmmh, i am not sure off that.

Last edited by DedeLaCreme; 03-17-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Hi Jonny rotten, thank for the advices.

So you think that greenpower philips bulb isn't for the Black widow?

I already grow with osram in 1995, sylvinia in 2004 and now philips, if you want big difference on your crop, this isn't coming from the lamp, imho. I never seen a plant turn sativa because of the bulb. You take a skunk it will stay a skunk under all those bulb.

It seems to me like a joke . I don't think i have bulb problem lol.

Yes i keep some clone. I am started an other session with only clone, and the earliest BW i had, the #5.

I didn't imagine that a bulb can take more time to flowering for plant than an other in the same box at the same time.

For me, the new session with clone won't have any probleme, i m sure of that.

I didn't talk about the clone i put in the same time of BW, and they had flowered like a clone at 20 days ,they had little bud with trichome on all of them, but at 37 days, 4 of 6 BW femalle, without trichome. So, i don't think there is a pb from bulb.
It wasn't a joke. If your bulb has gone downhill too much, then the reduced light output can adversely affect flowering time.

Read this article

If its not the bulb, other factors could cause the slower flowering time such as too cold of temps during lights off, but if you had clones or other strains developing normally along side the BW seed plants that looked great, then it may just be the BW.

Hopefully your next run will go alot better. I think Ill pop my own BW seeds today after all this talk of BW.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:27 PM

I will read the article, but in my Mother plant room, i had saw that lacking light (less lumens) can turn the plant to flowering even under 18/6, true, see on different strain, the worst for that, one pheno of chronic serious seed. So if a plant can flower under 18/6 of lacking light (not enough lumens) i think under used hps it doesn't do the inverse, but why not.

So, can you tell me why the 3 clones, CM, Bubble and lavender / cocoa kush had flowered like most clone at day 20 with trichomes? I always take 21 days for normal budding. if i don't have "normal" bud at 21 days, there is a pb, light leak is the most and after, sativa pheno.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
I will read the article, but in my Mother plant room, i had saw that lacking light (less lumens) can turn the plant to flowering even under 18/6, true, see on different strain, the worst for that, one pheno of chronic serious seed. So if a plant can flower under 18/6 of lacking light (not enough lumens) i think under used hps it doesn't do the inverse, but why not.

So, can you tell me why the 3 clones, CM, Bubble and lavender / cocoa kush had flowered like most clone at day 20 with trichomes? I always take 21 days for normal budding. if i don't have "normal" bud at 21 days, there is a pb, light leak is the most and after, sativa pheno.
Well, like I said in my previous post that maybe its just the BW if everything is else is performing as expected.

You'll still enjoy reading the article I think though. Some good info in there that everyone should probably read.

Id probably still upgrade to a digilux bulb though . Someone did a test using a quantum meter on youtube to see how well it performed against a Hortilux, and it beat out the Hortilux. Give their MH bulb a go. You wont have many problems with stretchy plants after making the switch. Ive vegged under HPS and MH, and MH will give you the plant structure you want. Even when growing mostly sativas.

Last edited by Jonny Rotten; 03-17-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
You'll still enjoy reading the article I think though. Some good info in there that everyone should probably read.

Id probably still upgrade to a digilux bulb though . Someone did a test using a quantum meter on youtube to see how well it performed against a Hortilux, and it beat out the Hortilux. Give their MH bulb a go. You wont have many problems with stretchy plants after making the switch. Ive vegged under HPS and MH, and MH will give you the plant structure you want. Even when growing mostly sativas.
Yes, still enjoy to have new information.

Yes, MH is better than hps for vegetaive, i had grown with MH in 1995.

But, greenpower philips haven't the same color as an ordinnary hps, it's seems to me that this bulb give more leaf and better for vegetative than osram hps, but it isn't MH too.

Seems that digilux is hard to find in my country too.