Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Medicinal plants > 9. Patients forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 03:14 AM

Default How Marijuana Impairs Memory

How Marijuana Impairs Memory

ScienceDaily (Mar. 1, 2012) A major downside of the medical use of marijuana is the drug's ill effects on working memory, the ability to transiently hold and process information for reasoning, comprehension and learning. Researchers reporting in the March 2 print issue of the Cell Press journal Cell provide new insight into the source of those memory lapses. The answer comes as quite a surprise: Marijuana's major psychoactive ingredient (THC) impairs memory independently of its direct effects on neurons. The side effects stem instead from the drug's action on astroglia, passive support cells long believed to play second fiddle to active neurons.

The findings offer important new insight into the brain and raise the possibility that marijuana's benefits for the treatment of pain, seizures and other ailments might some day be attained without hurting memory, the researchers say.

With these experiments in mice, "we have found that the starting point for this phenomenon -- the effect of marijuana on working memory -- is the astroglial cells," said Giovanni Marsicano of INSERM in France.

"This is the first direct evidence that astrocytes modulate working memory," added Xia Zhang of the University of Ottawa in Canada.

The new findings aren't the first to suggest astroglia had been given short shrift. Astroglial cells (also known as astrocytes) have been viewed as cells that support, protect and feed neurons for the last 100 to 150 years, Marsicano explained. Over the last decade, evidence has accumulated that these cells play a more active role in forging the connections from one neuron to another.

The researchers didn't set out to discover how marijuana causes its cognitive side effects. Rather, they wanted to learn why receptors that respond to both THC and signals naturally produced in the brain are found on astroglial cells. These cannabinoid type-1 (CB1R) receptors are very abundant in the brain, primarily on neurons of various types.

Zhang and Marsicano now show that mice lacking CB1Rs only on astroglial cells of the brain are protected from the impairments to spatial working memory that usually follow a dose of THC. In contrast, animals lacking CB1Rs in neurons still suffer the usual lapses. Given that different cell types express different variants of CB1Rs, there might be a way to therapeutically activate the receptors on neurons while leaving the astroglial cells out, Marsicano said.

"The study shows that one of the most common effects of cannabinoid intoxication is due to activation of astroglial CB1Rs," the researchers wrote.

The findings further suggest that astrocytes might be playing unexpected roles in other forms of memory in addition to spatial working memory, Zhang said.

The researchers hope to explore the activities of endogenous endocannabinoids, which naturally trigger CB1Rs, on astroglial and other cells. The endocannabinoid system is involved in appetite, pain, mood, memory and many other functions. "Just about any physiological function you can think of in the body, it's likely at some point endocannabinoids are involved," Marsicano said.

And that means an understanding of how those natural signaling molecules act on astroglial and other cells could have a real impact. For instance, Zhang said, "we may find a way to deal with working memory problems in Alzheimer's."

Source: How marijuana impairs memory
Old 03-03-2012, 05:40 AM

I was going to add something insightful, but I fergot

Oh yeah!!

I medicate with pot primarily to forget. I did the same with alcohol, but to an extreme. As a highly sensitive bi-polar mua-fukka, smoking throughout the day (mostly sativa dom's) keeps me from focusing too much energy on worthless sensory input if that makes sense. I think I might be a lil ocd, too, cause I will harp on plans and infrastructure & goals n shit - sometimes to a detriment, questioning conclusions reached perfectly logically in some sort of mental masturbation exercise. Reefer helps me to not do that, either

The most therapeutic thing about pot for me is growing it.
Although I DO have to write down what I did and when I did it, cause I WILL burn and forget
Old 03-03-2012, 06:11 AM
coop

I read a paper not sure if was a theory or proven, but basically the author stated that cannabis helping people forget is a good thing.
But it was along the lines with triggers for PTSD and other things, either being stoned or getting stoned after a traumatic accident helps some people forget about the negatives. And that regulation of remembering and forgetting is just as important.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:57 AM
BillyBadGrower

Last edited by BillyBadGrower; 03-04-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:57 AM

You all really need to see this study sent to me by Rafael Mechoulam. Beat Lutz explains the process of memory and forgetting. This is especially relevant to those 1 in ten of who suffer Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Lutz.pdf (166.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 03-03-2012, 10:18 AM

It looks like the author has an agenda of some sort?

Another recent study concluded that marijuana can help prevent alzheimers. Go figure.

Last edited by wonkadonk; 03-03-2012 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:44 AM
Banned

my memory is not very good at all and it seems to be getting worse

perfect example, my m8 came in for me 2 months ago and i asked him if he would like a box of t-bags, tetley draw string t-bags as well, nearly a full box, so he was like sure, i love tea, but what i did not tell him was that they were 4 months out of date, but i was gonna tell him the next day when i seen him but because my memory is that bad i just happened to forget,

so fast forward 2 months later ( last week ) and my m8 is in my kitchen and i started remembering like i had something to tell him but its only little bits im getting, so i ask him did i give you anything that was out of date recently??? and he replies with dont think so ya tit, so i say could it maybe have been t - bags, he replies with " that was 2 months ago you gave me them, what the fuck was the date on them, so i tell him it was aug 11 and he was not too happy, said he had been drinking them for nearly 2 months, just as well i remembered when i did or he would have finished the box ffs, but honest to god man i meant to tell him the next day i gave him they t - bags but because my memory is shit now i forgot, he said i could remember the date on the t - bags np when he asked so my memory could not be that shit, its crazy how you can remember certain things np but other you cant , but yeah i have to agree about it gives people long term memory loss.

p.s, thought t - bags could last forever anyway, he said nearly every1 he made a cup of tea for said it tasted like shit, i dont drink the stuff so would not know