Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Medicinal plants > 9. Patients forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2009, 02:40 PM

Default How Important is higher THC levels?

Hello, Interesting read form Dr Grinspoons book,
the very famous pot smoking broker with the rare tumor disorder Quotes that his Medical marijuna supplied by the US GOVT has a whooping 2% thc per joint? also glacoma patient and First Federal Marijuana patient smoked the same dope as well. He Quotes smoking about 10 joints a day at 2% THC and get the relief he needs..SO...How would smoking a joint that theoretically has 10x the difference be better or worse. Also if 2% THC joints also had such a significant and beneficial effect on Glaucoma..Why Except for purely recreational reason do patient need stronger Pot?

The only argument i would see is less amount required? Both Cost as well as space and security issues.this is not a problem for GOVT patients as his cannabis is supplied by the govt..

But for the rest of us..What do we really need?

beside the fascination however juveinle with all kinds of hard core drug stories, I would wager the majority of patients and people that would Find cannabis as medicine.are not going to care about the water bongs and a fancy tasting and smelling strain, they just want Quality relief..

What is the real medical value of THC? Is it more just marketing and potentcy increasing for the recreational side? Is this what is driving the market?

Is THC like Vitamin C? (weak example) A certain dosage is all that is,Past that however non toxic it is the increase in theraputic value is minimal? A certain amount is required for relief from occular pressure,nausea for chemo, etc, is the only basis for the argument of stronger THC more akin to a placebo effect? the more Psychoactive the better? Do patients believe that because it was said that the strain was stronger that it would be MORE benficial? Does getting more stoned help?

This could be true for some patients experimanting with Pain Relief,

But i think this MAY be in the minority,

If this is so. What is the argument for stronger cannabis for medical reasons?
interesting to hear this..it maybe possible for people to use low THC level cannabis and get relief from a significant amount of conditions that cannabis helps..
Is this the chink in the armor for increasing Cannabis potenty advocating Patient need? Possible the lack of any info at all creates a vaccum where well intentioned or not people are not neccesarily getting what they just "need" and recreational users(and the ones who like to get off their tits) are driving?

Anyway

any thoughts on this?

Fire away
Old 05-21-2009, 02:42 PM

Geez sorry guys, Spelling was terrible on that one, could have used some punctuation as well..
Old 05-21-2009, 03:12 PM
BobbyDigital

Hi whomever,

No problem with the spelling, I could follow what you were saying. I'm not completely up to speed with the research, but from what I've been reading, the best cannabis for medicinal use is actually that with low THC content's.

THC is what they call the 'main psychoactive principal' of cannabis. It is what gives the user a mind-altering effect. Like you said, they've found that people who use it for medicine don't necessarily want to get high at all, they just want to function normally.

They've also found that some of the symptoms that are relieved with cannabis use are not even due to THC, but other less psychoactive cannabinoids, or the interactions between them all.

Also, from some of the things I've read of what admini has posted, they've found that the ratio of cannabinoids is incredibly important for the effects that are felt after ingestion. Extremely high THC content with low content of other cannabinoids will produce a 'trippy' high, the opposite produces a very mellow, 'body' high, and if they are in balance, it supposedly produces the most enjoyable high, but there aren't many strains that have a ratio like that naturally.

So, high THC percentage is really only bred for 'recreational' users. If anything, pharmaceutical company's are looking for ways to keep the benefits of using it without getting the patient 'high' at all. Although, for the whole slew of people who use it to battle depression or drug addiction, the 'high' is still somewhat important.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:17 PM

Higher thc levels is a fallacy, you could put a 18-20% thc white russian up against the 11% Neville's Haze that Herbie has and the NH would stomp all over it, its not just thc theres cbd and others aswell.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:31 PM

Also different med conditions requirw diferent relief, ex a glucoma patient is looking for something to help with the blood circulation for his eyes vs a cancer patient whom is in more of pain relief, nauseu supression, increase appt.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:36 PM

Ok,

Question

IF the less THC or virtually no THC strains such as ruderalis have a predisposition to being higher sometimes VERY much higher in CBD and other cannabionols..Then would autoflower strains infused with Some THC be as a whole more "broad Spectrum" in their medical applications? a portion of THC neccesary for a change of conciousness as well as alot of other cannabinods that are doing all kinds of other things?

This is an interesting question and opens the door to breeding questions that i have no idea about,
But it would make sense that Genes from a parent that is "Hemp like" and high in things other than THC will share this with its offspring to innumerable varying degress correct?

So thus by you have a plant with a genetic disposition to higher levels of whatever else in Cannabis along with the much sought after cbd?

I have never grown or smoked any rudderalis/auto flowering strains that i am aware of,

But this begs the newbie question, If they are a piece of piss to grow have "enough" THC (i'm sure some do) to get you pleasantly stoned and have much higher levels of Cannabinoids, then... How are they not touted as the solution to medical growers needs? (besides the obvious other uses for cannabiss' Psychotropic properties,) Cannabinoids do all kinds of nifty things and as i understand fromthe limited research i have read recently, things such have nausea control and tumor "control" as well as protecting nerves from degenrative conditions all likely to have little to do with just THC ans possibly nonthing in some conditions

are they just not sexy?..no one fancies them per see?

Fire away
Old 05-25-2009, 02:33 PM

I don't know enough about ruderalis to say wither or not they have the cbd's your looking for. As far as THC goes I have yet to hear of any with substancial THC. I smoked some rude herb in eastern Hungary many years ago all it was good for was getting you dizzy and giving a rocking headache.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:45 PM

Hi i'm not neccesarily looking for anything at present Interested in What the deal is with the CBD in hemp along with how all that works into a medical strain

I do see a fair bit of medical patients or people searching for higher CBD strains, I'm sure there will be something in the genetics(there is always something in the genetics) I've heard that the way you grow them makes a difference as well in the levels of the respective cannabinoids

It seems many people are foaming at the mouth for CBD strain info etc,

What about some of the crosses? as in ruderalis skunk etc? there should be enough THC in them to get Psychoactive and possibly given there Ruderalis background could have that Much higher CBD,

anyway....
Old 09-21-2009, 08:36 PM

[QUOTE=
It seems many people are foaming at the mouth for CBD strain info etc,

What about some of the crosses? as in ruderalis skunk etc? there should be enough THC in them to get Psychoactive and possibly given there Ruderalis background could have that Much higher CBD,

anyway....[/QUOTE]

That was my thoughts exatly, it seems im going to have to do some testing on the different autoflowers that have been crossed with i "think" some pure indica's like...

Afghan Kush Autoflowering cannabis seeds
Sex: 100% feminized Genotype: Mainly Indica Genetics: Afghan Kush X (Afghan Kush X Ruderalis) Flowering Time: 45-55 days Production: 100-150 gr/m THC: 22% - CBD: 1.2% Size: 4080 cm

This plant has been developed maintaining Indica genotype with autosomic gene responsible of autoflowering response. World of Seeds advice uses of high power lamp of dual spectra (grow and bloom) and 20 hour of continued light in order to led those variety to the highest productivity.

Pakistan valley Autoflowering cannabis seeds
Sex: 100% feminized Genotype: Mainly Indica Genetics: Pakistan Valley X (Pakistan Valley X Ruderalis) Flowering Time: 45-55 days Production: 100-150 gr/m THC: 20% - CBD: 1.2% Size: 4080 cm

This plant has been developed maintaining Indica genotype with autosomic gene responsible of autoflowering response. World of Seeds advice uses of high power lamp of dual spectra (grow and bloom) and 20 hour of continued light in order to led those variety to the highest

now i know it only says 1.2%CBD but i would like to see if it does offer any releif for myself as i need a strain high in CBD.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:45 PM

Just noticed this thread now Whomever, I started a similar thread a week or 2 ago, would of been alot better if I'd posted in here I guess.

Oh dinner time,lovely bye bye
GG