Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Medicinal plants > 7. Plants and plant extracts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 03:47 PM

hi Jack!

I like your question. It is actually the same question i did when i bougth my first 145micron (t43) filter few years ago.

As any fundamental question we can ask in this world there are multiple answers...in theory you need a different couple of screens of different size for each plant you are using. Usually in large scale production this not needed because of the known glands size of the strain used in the field.
Nowadays microscopes makes this very easy...you should check out the average glands' size of your plant material before you buy your filters...this is will help you to get the best quality and the bigger amount extracted.
When you know your gland you will know which filter you really know to collect it and then to clean the dirt out keeping the good.

Now this is the theory...pratically you can get a average size to collect the pollen that for me range from 160 to 140 in almost all the strains. The problem comes when you are using differents strains in the same batch but all is relative. Then i suggest to get multiple filters and do your homework finding which is the best in your unique and particular case.

I soon come on the argument!!

I see you like to experiment...i'm seeing a new machine in your next future...eheh!

Ishence
I keep the good seeds for my sons as a witness of my ancestors.

Ishence
Old 04-23-2012, 04:10 PM
Banned

when i make bubblehash,

i get an equal amount from the 3rd(73) and 4th(120) bags, and a smaller amount from the 1st(25) and 2nd(45).

i always thought the first bag (25) was supposed to be the best, finest grade.
after smoking it, though, i thought the 3rd bag, (73) was the best.

I stopped keeping the grades seperate and would not use the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th bags, so that everything they would have caught would end up in an evenly mixed grade in the
first bag. that works well, and not as much work seperating different grades and working with more bags.

i assume the 145 filter you are using is removing debris and plant material, and maybe soil and the resin passes through it. do you have a small filter size to let small contaminates out too?
Old 04-23-2012, 06:34 PM

sorry i didn't finish to explain you the final part...i was in hurry.

the pollen that i collect UNDER the 145micron filter is very good as it is because all the green(plant material,gland's stalks etc.) and big debrids are left UPON this filter... but sadly dust, small soil particles, pests eggs and fungus spores PASS through this 145 filter longside the good thricomes.
To eliminate these small particles then you need a filter smaller than the large part of your thricomes to resieve them and let this small dusty debrids pass the filter leaving them cleaner.
The Bulbous thrics are the smallest and measures less than 30 microns sometimes.
The Capitate Sessile thrics are on the 100 microns and the Capitate Stalked that are the most abundant are even bigger depending on the strain used.
Lets say that your strain's smallest thric is 30 microns, well a 30/25 micron filter will be perfect to resieve your golden material collected BELOW the 145 micon filter.
The good hashmaker plays with these numbers to get the best from his plant material. You need to know the gland's size of your plants and this is done with trial and error style or a good usb microscope for 50 euro.

I hope this can clear up your mind.

Bubblehash is slightly different because the tensioactivity that make the thricomes bigger of their real size. I will soon open a thread about that...i just need the time!
Basically the process is the same but you will lost the water soluble part of the whole that make a good sift hash( when properly made) a superior product in my book.
The full organoleptic spectrum of therpenes and volatil aromas in these products is incomparabe to whatever bubble,bho,tincture,etc,etc.maybe dry ice extraction can do something better of that but it is so tricky to operate with dry ice you know...
The nice part is that you don't need to be a big farmer to get the best quality dry sift in your world and maybe others.
You just need two lovely polyester monofilament screens...and you are welcome in the thricome's realm...a world to discover!
And cheap too!!

Ishence

Ishence

Last edited by Ishence; 04-23-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack hairy View Post
when i make bubblehash,

i get an equal amount from the 3rd(73) and 4th(120) bags, and a smaller amount from the 1st(25) and 2nd(45).

i always thought the first bag (25) was supposed to be the best, finest grade.
after smoking it, though, i thought the 3rd bag, (73) was the best.

I stopped keeping the grades seperate and would not use the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th bags, so that everything they would have caught would end up in an evenly mixed grade in the
first bag. that works well, and not as much work seperating different grades and working with more bags.
If you already tested by yourself that 73micron bag is the best why do not use it?
Actually this bag is known to be the best size to capture the best part of your thricomes crop.
You don't need to use all the filters but i usually harvest the most and the best on the 73 and the rest on the 45 or 35 bag depending on the strain.

the more you experiment...the more you'll learn which is the best way for you...if you use just one filter you get an average quality than can be very good anyway but if you make two filters then you can sample them separately and then if you like both nice...but usually the smaller filter catch also a lot of shit with the little trichs so the quality is so low that i advise you to don't mix it with the good one.

Ishence

Ishence
Old 04-25-2012, 03:07 AM
Banned

well, it was a decision just to produce a better even grade, than to have a best grade and therefore all the others are inferior grades.

i dont think i have ever made a batch that includes just 120 and 73. that might be worth a shot next time i try bubble.
i actually think i will do dry ice with the bubblebags next time i make something, so i could try that combination then.

as for the smaller trichs, i agree they are either not fully mature or other debris is contaminating them, they are good to smoke but not really any better, and there is a much smaller quantity of them, which is why i usually just put them in with the rest.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:49 AM
Banned

Good posts again man, thanks.

You mentioned R. Clarke's book, I'm wondering if you've tried this type of screen from his book?:

I've always meant to get myself one to see how it actually performs. Someone I know who moved to Cali said they don't work, but I don't want to believe him...
Old 04-28-2012, 10:30 AM

ehy Jack...

when you'll make your next dry hash try this:

put the 220 bag in the 190 bag and then both of them in the 160 bag, finally put the three bags inside the 73 bag. Finally put all the bags in the 25 bag.

Now fill up the inner bag with your very dry plant material and skake it well.
I'm sure that you know that a dry and cold climate help this process a lot.
If you can do this in a cold place you can get more out from your raw material. I do this in the winter or in a refrigerated room at 0-2c temperature.

I dont see the need of the 120 micron bag. It just stops some of the bigger thricks that are as good as the ones you find in the 73 bag..this is unnecessary to me as they are both hi grade products if your staring material is good and clean(the 160 bag will capture almost all unwanted debrids) and i like to harvest all of them in the 73 micron filter.

In the 73 bag you will find the bigger and best part of your thrics and in the 25 bag you will find, depending on the strain, a smaller amount of smaller thrics but still very tasty and cleaned from all the smaller little particles that were contaminating it, that passed through the 25 bag.
In this way you can do the bulk sieving and the resieving at one time. Then afer smoking the 73 harvest and the 25 harvest separately you can make the choice to mix them if they are both hi quality to obtain a Full Spectrum Hi Grade product.
This is a technique i already tested and works good for me...but i never used ice-o-lator bags to make dry sieved hash, so i cant say much. I do prefer screen mesh filters for obvious reasons...they are stretched on a frame and the holes got the same size....long story short...you get more. Bags are intended for water extraction as the water pressure helps the thrics pass through the filter without the tension needed for the dry thrics to pass the filter.
One more, to resieve small quantities, carding is also a good technique but you need a tense poly monofilament filter to do that.

Ishence

Ishence
Old 04-28-2012, 10:45 AM

Rza,

i'm very interested in trying this steel filter aswell but i never had the change to try it before.

I'm feeling it could works but i'm not sure if it is better of the usual poly monofilament screens...they costs more for sure but they last forever...we need to try this one soon my friend because the actual experiment can speak for itself.
Laboratory sieves' screens are in steel indeed... i have my eyes on them for a long time now...when i can afford one i will report for sure!

Ishence

Ishence
Old 04-30-2012, 12:52 AM

A very interesting thread Ishence.

I actually was given some Moroccan Hash by an importer and it was called Caramello and it actually bubbled when you did a flame test so really quite pure but it's not commercially available in the UK as all you get from Maroc these days is the dreaded soap bar that is of more use as a third world doorstop rather than something to actually smoke.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:36 PM

Nice piece Ishence.

As a fellow lover of fine Hash, it's so nice to see high quality full melt come from sieving. I've been telling people for years that if sieved correctly that you can get full melt from sieving but they wre too hung up on Water extraction to bother listening. I've always thought that water hash washes out some of the subtle flavours that are kept with sieving as well.

I'm sitting here with some fine Indian Hash so this ones's for you

Peace

B

@ Dr. Rockster

Caramello is quite common in Spain, always has been especially down South, it's really nice Hash. I've pretty much given up on smoking Moroccan & only really smoke Indian or Nepalese Hash these days

Peace

B
"The lonliest people are the nicest. The saddest people smile the brightest. The most damaged people are the wisest. All because they don't want you to have to go through, what they have been through".... Anon

Last edited by Bubbla; 05-01-2012 at 05:38 PM.