Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Medicinal plants > 7. Plants and plant extracts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 05:44 AM
coop

i deal with someone who eats oil.
Thats the reason why i wanted to make some. In passing they asked about oil, but when I found out that they where using it to consume. I decided to try to make some amber for them

They say they just take a toothpick with a swap of bho and eat it a few times a day.

A gram of bho would be 40-60% cannaiboinds so a little bit goes a loooooong way.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:54 AM

Hey coop! Congratulations to the first Absolute Amber!
I am very pleased to welcome the new follower of the method of AA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coop View Post
i can't believe how easy this is, and the results are great
I always say that!
Old 09-27-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
i deal with someone who eats oil.
I decided to try to make some amber for them
Solid amber consists of THCA and unsuitable for direct eating.
THCA are not psychoactive and fly over the brain, without touching it.
For the eating it must be heated to decarboxylate THCA to THC.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:19 PM

hey coop, jump and everyone else great thread, i'm intrigued.

I have 2 questions...

1: will the method work for all solvent extraction methods (i like n-hexane personally) or does it have to be butane?

2: is there any alternative to using everclear? not sure if it's available here.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:36 PM

G`day Elmer Bud! Thank you for your kindness, I am glad to meet you.

I also hope that Mr. Nice will like AAmber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack hairy View Post
ill see if i can get amber yet...
Hey Jack Hairy! Sure You Can! Just go ahead, its easy!

Hey Celtic warrior!
The rule is that the first uses a non-polar solvent, and the second - polar.
I am inexperienced in working with hexane.
I do not know what temperature and duration is preferred for cleaner and more complete primary non-polar extraction.

For the secondary polar extraction, ethanol 96% or 190 proof Everclear, fit better than others.
For the replacement of ethanol they recommend isopropyl, it is also polar,
and waxes and oils fall out of it by cooling as well as from ethanol.
I myself was not able to apply isopropyl.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:49 PM
coop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jump117 View Post

you know i was thinking the same thing,I love this amber that you can handle and press it, i think that might make a huge difference if you can work the piece.

I think any other high proof alcohol should work. IPA is ok if you are going to evaporate it all off. I did get some water into my first batch so I would suspect that using some good vodka or the like would be doable.

I am also thinking about trying something like this. but i think you may be able to remove a few steps.
Infusion Profusion: Game-Changing Fast

also jump or anyone else do you know if you can mix the liquid butane with alcohol as it evaporates. I know it might not the best idea as it could cause the butane to boil out of the jar, but I can't find any other reason try make fully evaped concrete here.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jump117 View Post

So if the THCA containing extract is heated at a constant 145 C, it takes 7 min. for THC to max out and begin declining; if heated at a constant 122 C, it takes 27 min, and so on.

So that's why eating raw cannabis doesn't have much, if any, effects. I have also understood that curing at room temp can lead to some decarboxylation of THCA to THC. For traditional use of weed (smoking or vaporizing) the bulk of decarboxylation must happen at smoking, and the potency is technically not even there until it passes through the heat; for oral dosing to work at all it must have been heated.

Thanks for this chart; that should apply to preparing the most potent extraction for oral dosing. I still wonder how Rick Simpson's patients can take 1/3 gram doses of hemp oil (called phoenix tears) 3 times a day and not get incredibly high & stoned even if they become adjusted to high-dose THC. It makes me wonder is the hemp oil really that potent, and if not is that connected to its preparation method?

It would seem that his method, heating the oil at the end when boiling off the solvent, should cause THCA to convert to THC. But the chart shows that total heating time and temperature are the important variables for the amount of THCA conversion, and showing that at a point, the heat begins reducing THC.

It seems a BHO or any product containing mostly THCA vs. THC, could be heated by some pre-determined amount using a similar chart as a guide, before oral dosing.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:12 PM
coop

there are still great benefits of ingesting thc-a and cbd-a

I do believe that when you make PTO you heat it up for a period of time to reduce it, that step would help.

In my other extracts i've been vac sealing and boiling herb for 90 mins then using that to extract converted cananbinoids. Im thinking about trying it and making bho from decarbed material. Mabye later today.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:43 PM

Too bad there's not some quick & dirty & cheap method of quickly screening or estimating THC without paying for the gas chromotograph. I guess a guy could try to use his own brain, but it gets kinda raggedy for the day after a couple of uses.

Coop, I've never heard about the benefits of ingesting THC-A or CBD-A. What are they? Any links that go into detail about conditions treated, etc?

That's interesting pre-cooking the herb for making extract. You're thinking of all angles. That chart, for boiling temps (between the 3rd and 4th time-temp curve) doesn't go for a long enough time to show where THC would max out.

Last edited by donb; 09-27-2011 at 06:00 PM. Reason: additions
Old 10-01-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Im thinking about trying it and making bho from decarbed material.
At room temperature, extract with mostly THCA is hard and brittle,
but with mostly THC has the consistency of thick resin and never hardens to brittleness.

Melting Point THCA 70~80C, 158~176F, THC ~40C, ~104F.
THC dissolves more easily than THCA.
Extraction of the decarboxylated material is more complete and leaves less or no residual resin in the cake.

I prefer to first extract the amber of THCA, and then dry and decarboxylate material to extract the residual viscous THC resin.

In comparison with a solid amber, consistency of the extract from decarbed material is very inconvenient for the collection and storage.
In the process of decarboxylation all fragrances evaporate from the resin, which makes it boring for smoking.
So I mix it with chocolate right there on the evaporator plate.

It is very easy to turn THCA amber into a viscous THC resin, by heating to release the bubbles of CO2, which is a visible sign of decarboxylation.