Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS strains and grow diaries > 6. Breeders support and information

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 01:27 AM

Default The Works of Luther Burbank

I started this thread as a resource for breeders who are interested in the teachings of Luther Burbank.
Special thanks to Oscartherotund, for making me aware of the website Internet Archive: Digital Library of Free Books, Movies, Music & Wayback Machine and for suggesting that I start this thread. The Archive.org website is an amazing resource that contains a huge wealth of pulic domain works.

Luther Burbank is probably the most influential plant breeder who ever lived, and his specialty was hybrids. As plant breeders, there is a huge wealth of information we can learn from him. My Bonsai Sultan Method, is based on much of what I have learned from Luther Burbank and is an adaptation, in part, of his methods, and is designed to allow someone to breed our plant using his methods indoors in a very limited space.

I have organized these 12 volumes”Luther Burbank his Methods and Discoveries and their Practical Application” in numerical order, for easy reading with recommendations of suggested readings. My suggestions are by page number, with a brief one or two word discription. These page numbers are starting points only and in most cases you need to continue reading for 10 to 20 pages or more from the referenced point to get the full story. I have put star ratings, to alert the reader, of sections that I find particularly relevant. One star being especially relevent through to 3 stars being the most relevant.

I am starting with the first 3 volumes and will be adding the remaining volumes over the next week or two. Eventually I will be adding other works of Burbank as well.

It is my hope that everyone will enjoy this thread, and learn from it.

Volume 1

This Volume starts with the famous spineless cactus, and continues with the history of the famous Burbank Potato. It also discusses corn, geraniums, and daisies, to name a few, as well as giving us a brief introduction and history in fruit trees.(P8cacti evolution,P36heredity,*P56fateBurbankand potatos,P89preserving quality,P109domestication,*P122adaptationtohumanit y, **P146 hybridizingdaisies,***P162Improvingusinglandraces, P189burbanksexperiments,P211phylumandimprovement,* P289populationsandevolution)

Read only: Luther Burbank : his methods and discoveries and their practical application

Download: Luther Burbank : his methods and discoveries and their practical application : Burbank, Luther, 1849-1926 : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

Volume 2

In this volume Burbank discusses nine of his “most striking transformations” and how he achieved them, including the Burbank Cherry, the Shasta Daisy, the Royal Walnut, the Stoneless plum, and the sugar prune among others. He also discusses some of his personal history, as well as some of his failures, and what we can learn from them. (***P8selection,P34newraces,P42whiteblackberry,P54 AtavasmandMendel,P84naturalselection,P107graftings trategy,**P137Hybridvigor,*P160hybridgiants,P202Po llination,*P214Fixingmultipletraits,P275bizarrehyb rids)

Read only: Luther Burbank : his methods and discoveries and their practical application

Download: Luther Burbank : his methods and discoveries and their practical application : Burbank, Luther, 1849-1926 : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

Volume 3

Luther Burbank focuses more on the practical application of his methods including grafting and his pollination techniques. He goes in depth into corn breeding, and strawberry cultivation. He discusses tracking methods, and recording experiments and labelling, and concludes with details of selection.(**P7planning,*P31hybridsinnature,P48phy lum,P58symbioticevolutionP82artificialpollination, P102seedlingsample,P145Grafting,***P221Fixingtrait s,**P241noteslabelling,
P282selection,)

Hi Friends,
Check it out:
http://www.mrnice.nl/forum/4-talk-shantibaba-mrnice/5345-bonsai-sultan-method-typological-breeding-non-breeder-beginner-pro-little-space.html
The Bonsai Sultan Method: Typological Breeding for the Non Breeder, Beginner, or Pro with Little Space.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:26 AM

Volume4
This Volume covers the some of the more practical aspects of orchard cultivation and he also covers in detail many orcard trees such as apples, pears, peaches and cherries, as well as some more exotic varieties (P8husbandry,P37grafting,*P74Dominantrecessive,P12 2newblood,**P154pairingexample,P180diversification ,***P226hybrids,P244selection)

Volume5

This Volume focuses exclusively on plums, Luther Burbanks specialty, as such it is one of his most poignant works, and provides much insight, particularly in the realm of hybridization. He discusses the new species of fruit tree that he created, the Plumcot.
(P10revolutionized,***P39hybridization,**P71overco mingproblems,*P148mutation,P167planning,P197deciev ing,*P288plumcot selection)

Volume6

In this volume Burbank discusses how he improved the blackberry, rasberry, seedless grapes, and many others through hybridization. I believe of all the volumes, this the 6th volume is one of the most relevent to our unique and specialized field, as it is full of examples.
(**P16improved, ***P58variation,**P84new varieties,P94newstrawberry,P118new variety,*P130mendal,P175elderberry,*P204reversion, P284recapitulation)

Hi Friends,
Check it out:
http://www.mrnice.nl/forum/showthread.php?t=5345
The Bonsai Sultan Method: Typological Breeding for the Non Breeder, Beginner, or Pro with Little Space.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:11 PM

Iam just getting my mind around the bonsai sultan method and here you go adding more great info.

Thanks man
Devil's Advocate
Old 01-26-2011, 02:40 PM

Thumbs up

select the best - fuck the rest
Old 01-28-2011, 10:02 PM

This will be an enormous help to us all. My thanks to you for this listing.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:03 AM

Thanks for the support, Dude, and Oscar. I hope it helps.

Deran, that is a very brief but accurate, if somewhat crude, summary.

Hi Friends,
Check it out:
Old 02-03-2011, 11:53 PM

Volume7

This, the vegetable volume, is also one of the more relevant volumes for us. In it Burbank focuses on all varieties of vegetables, particularly the one that he is most famous for, the Potato.
(P9seedmagic,P31cellularmatabolism.**P34hybridizin gmelons,*P60CruciferousHybrids,***P73hybridizingpe as,P86mendal,**P110discovery,***P158Potherbs, P242camassiahybrids,***P267improvingpotato)

Volume8
This volume focuses on cereals and textiles among others, our favorite, the hemp plant. Although scant attention is paid to hemp, this volume does provide some insight into breeding and techniques of selection(P7cornteosite,P47pestresistance,*P80seed character,P96cloversoil,**P108hemptextiles,**P137o neseed, P154hops,P168reclaimingdesert,P271ricejapan)

Volume9
The first 100 pages of this volume are among the most illuminating in the whole series and I would recommend reading them all the way through. Of course you will need the background of the previous volumes to fully appreciate his words. This volume focuses on flowers and their improvement, including the Rose, Geranium, Poppy, Dahlia, and many others.
(***P8selectionexample,***P14hybridinbreeding,***P 36linebreeding,P44burbankrose,***P72breedinggiants ,***P87gettingresults,*P103breedingcolor,P118creat ionorreversion,P155variation,P184killinggophers,P2 04Linnaeus,P211newform,P245improvingoils,P289color evolution)

Hi Friends,
Check it out:
Old 03-30-2012, 02:56 PM

This is maybe the best thread on here, major thanks for putting this up Josh, I can't believe what a great man and vast source of knowledge Luther Burbank was. I feel like I grasp joshs concept on breeding so much more after reading this and I'm only on the first volume , on cherry grafting. I hope everyone on here reads these or at least some of them. I haven't learned this much on plants in years what has taken me so far just a couple days reading to learn. Josh your a real asset brother, a real asset. Thanks a million for putting this up, potato seed balls here I come lol. I can't believe it took me this long to start reading about Burbank.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:07 PM

Thankyou thankyou

LB one of my hero's

a plan

finding some thing to fit the plan

selection
crossing
observation
grow out
observation
selection
grow out
observation
selection
selection selection

Last edited by Nor1; 03-30-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:48 PM

Thanks for reposting the links Josh and to Oscartherotund for providing them to Josh.