Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS strains and grow diaries > 6. Breeders support and information

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 01:54 PM

excellent posts, mr. gobshite! i had seen that glossary of terminology before but like many things i read, i could not recall the original source and be able to go back to it. peace-biteme
Old 12-07-2010, 02:14 PM

I have the second post set up so that I can just click on my fav so that I can see it when I run into those terms that I dont know (which is most of them). Its a great tool. Thanks.

Knows nothing about growing grass, wants to know everything
Old 12-07-2010, 02:53 PM
Billy Liar

Default Backcrossing

I borrowed this from Aza'eil's thread, it's written by Chimera..

Quote:
Backcross breeding is best used when adding simply inherited dominant traits that can easily be identified in the progeny of each generation (example 1). Recessive traits are more difficult to select for in backcross breeding, since their expression is masked by dominance in each backcross to the recurrent parent. An additional round of open pollination or sib-mating is needed after each backcross generation, to expose homozygous-recessive plants. Individuals showing the recessive condition are selected from F2 segregating generations and backcrossed to the recurrent parent (see example 2).

Example 1 Backcrossing: Incorporating a dominant trait

Step1 Recurrent Parent Donor Parent
|
V
F1 Hybrid generation

Step 2 Select desirable plants showing dominant trait, and hybridize selected plants to recurrent parent. The generation produced is denoted BC1 (some cannabis breeders break from botanical convention and denote this generation Bx1. BC1= Bx1).

Step 3 Select plants from BC1 and hybridize with the recurrent parent; the resulting generation is denoted BC2.

Step 4 Select plants from BC2 and hybridize with the recurrent parent; the resulting generation is denoted BC3.

Example 2 Backcrossing: Incorporating a recessive trait

Step1 Recurrent Parent Donor Parent
|
V
F1 Hybrid generation

Step 2 Select desirable plants, and create an F2 population via full sib-mating.

Step 3 Select plants showing the desired recessive trait in the F2 generation, then hybridize selected F2-recessive plants to the recurrent parent. The generation produced is denoted BC1.

Step 3 Select plants from BC1, and create a generation of F2 plants via sib-mating; the resulting generation can be denoted BC1F2

Step 4 Select desirable BC1F2 plants showing the recessive condition, and hybridize with the recurrent parent; the resulting generation is denoted BC2.

Step 5 Select plants from BC2, and create an F2 population via sib-mating; denote the resulting generation BC2F2.

Step 6 Select plants showing the recessive condition from the BC2F2 generation, and hybridize to the recurrent parent; the resulting generation is denoted BC3.

Step 7 Grow out BC3, select and sib-mate the most ideal candidates to create an F2 population, where plants showing the recessive condition are then selected and used as a basis for a new inbred, or open-pollinated seed line.
Any other variations or examples?
thanks for the links Koppy
peace
BL
Old 12-07-2010, 02:58 PM

OMG! that is a dangerous post mr. billy liar! lol. that is an actual map to the hidden treasure. good one. lol. peace-biteme
Old 12-07-2010, 03:03 PM
Billy Liar

Quote:
Originally Posted by biteme View Post
OMG! that is a dangerous post mr. billy liar! lol. that is an actual map to the hidden treasure. good one. lol. peace-biteme
LOL BM, I hope so.....

peace
BL
Old 12-07-2010, 03:08 PM
Azra'eil

Last edited by Azra'eil; 01-19-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:16 PM
Billy Liar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azra'eil View Post
beware billy its your 666th posts !
lol
i will post a thing about backcrossing in a few minutes...
I just put some plants in to flower after that post too... maybe they will be devilish.... LOL
peace
BL
Old 12-07-2010, 03:43 PM
Azra'eil

Last edited by Azra'eil; 01-19-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:02 PM
Billy Liar

thats very interesting Az....
I remembered this but couldn't find it...
Seems back-crossing and inbreeding work in unison.... especially where stabilisation is required..
Shntibaba's first method, makes sense to capture the traits you require from the original parents. ie the backcross at f3 and f4. But wouldn't this also bring back into play all the recessive genes you dont want?
peace
BL
Old 12-07-2010, 04:18 PM
Azra'eil

Last edited by Azra'eil; 01-19-2011 at 10:37 AM.