Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS strains and grow diaries > 5. Strain Base

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2011, 06:35 PM

Default NL5 X Afghan wherefore art thou?

So, since nobody asked, why is this strain so unloved and little discussed?

Shanti's description of it is pure love and it is one of the few strains in the entire library that he rates with triple 5 star ratings on the 'marks o meter' rankings of aroma, medicinal value and yield.

NL5 x Afghan - Mr. Nice seedbank and research - Strains

(Note: NL5 X Haze is also rated a triple 5, while NL5 X skunk is has slightly lower ratings ... I know, these are subjective, but still, that's a pretty significant opinion at work)

While I've heard several growers comment upon it in passing (one notable member did not like his results, but never seems to have posted a grow report to expand upon the opinion.)

The only real full report seems to be from Holy Mountain's very nicely done report of taking 3 females to full flower/harvest.

HM's most excellent report seem to confirm Shanti's glowing description.
NL#5 x Afghan 400w 40" x 40" tent grow SCROG
Yet, it's generally not one of the sexy strains that everyone's talking about. Why? Is this just overlooked? Is the NL5 x Haze interest so strong that no one's interested in a non-haze cross?

The REASON I bring up the topic, as you might have guessed, is that I'm staring at the list of "what's next?" in my fridge. NL5 x Afg was at the bottom of the list, but I'm starting to wonder if that should be reconsidered ... I have several more haze crosses to explore, but I still feel like I have room for a big yielding, delicious and hard-hitting indica dom plant.

Why not NL5 x Afg?

best,
rabbit
Old 10-25-2011, 10:04 PM

deleted..................

Last edited by Blabla; 09-03-2013 at 10:31 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 10-26-2011, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blabla View Post
Well I recommend them. My experience, the pheno with berry smelling, rock hard buds recembling colorful sugarcubes was nice. Didn't like the fluffier one -better yielder, was verry bland (taste horrible infact) .Reminded me of of the kind you can encounter when growing some Chronic phenos. Both were low odor, the berry one was the winner. This was of course just 2 ladies and I guess there may be some variatons in the cross. My take, go for it. The timeframe was spot-on with the strain description. Hasslefree they grow by themselves, just like weed

(Note this was a friends grow, because growing cannabis is illegal and I would NEVER break the law that the democratic dictatorship has commanded that I must follow. Because I acknowledge the fact the goverment always knows whats best for me.)
Awesome; thanks blabla ... (first name's not 'george' is it?)

Anyway, rock hard berry flavored nugs that finish in 7 to 9 weeks ... um, yah, OK, maybe I can try that. Yield is rated well too, including a warning on mold ... usually a good sign IMO.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:25 AM

Last edited by Blabla; 09-03-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:59 PM

i grew out quite a few females and was quite unhappy...Aurora Indica from Nirvana has always been a fave so expected big big things from NL5xAfg. I had 7 girls and I didn't feel one fit the criteria in the strain guide. They all yielded fairly well, taste was ok, but the potency factor I felt was just not there in any pheno. It could be my body chemistry or something but I can only go by what i've grown. I deeply respect Shanti and all his work I just am a bit surprised this one made it on the menu, but then again Billy has a real nice lady. Just my thoughts but I am not growing her again and have quite a few beans left (roughly 60). I am donating mine to friends who are getting started or directly request to test her out.

From my personal experience Nordle is incredible and the king of the indica high's at MNS, but I have yet to try Ortega!

Last edited by curious101; 10-26-2011 at 05:03 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:33 PM

Default where art thou

yo, rabbit, the gravity I got in '99 is still the strongest plant around. I was told it was nl#5xafg then and reconfirmed by sb in '08. It is by far the strongest plant I have ever grown. It out performed the ssh and the #5xsk1. The only thing that comes close is nl#5xhaze (suprise!). it is simply too strong for most people. I ain't most people. She is said to be available in the bay area medical scene. It would be my pleasure to help you find her if you are a cal med patient. I skirted death in march '10, still recovering ( note; skull is not as hard as concrete!) and just taking it easy. The pictures I posted are grav, but I forgot which thred. Any Qs holla at yer boy. One, CC
Old 10-26-2011, 07:28 PM

I would really recomend it, I'm thinking of getting more infact. The girl I had was the strongest heaviest of all the weed I ever smoked.. So I crossed her to a male haze....
Maybe I got lucky, but my nl5/afg was a truly deep heavy stoney smoke... Needs good veg time as not a stretcher, and can yield great big super dense buds.
Worth a try in my book.
Peace
BL
Old 10-26-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blabla View Post
Hey Badrabbit! Be awere that the Chronic reference was on the bland taste, not how she yields. NL5/Afghan should yield good with a nice veg.

I recommend the NL5/Afghan. Good luck with her.

Peace out.

(And my name's not George )
Thanks Blabla ... the "George" thing was an inside joke that you'd only get if you happen to live within 50 miles or so of my location!

So the Chronic comparison is that some of the pheno's are not intense flavor type plants ... well, I hope that enough are. I place taste/aroma at the top of the 'must have' list, but these should have nice tasters in there with the afghan lineage.

best,
rabbit
Old 10-26-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain caveman View Post
yo, rabbit, the gravity I got in '99 is still the strongest plant around. I was told it was nl#5xafg then and reconfirmed by sb in '08. It is by far the strongest plant I have ever grown. It out performed the ssh and the #5xsk1. The only thing that comes close is nl#5xhaze (suprise!). it is simply too strong for most people. I ain't most people. She is said to be available in the bay area medical scene. It would be my pleasure to help you find her if you are a cal med patient. I skirted death in march '10, still recovering ( note; skull is not as hard as concrete!) and just taking it easy. The pictures I posted are grav, but I forgot which thred. Any Qs holla at yer boy. One, CC
thanks very much caveman ... and I'm very glad to hear you are on the mend. I am not a Cali med patient, but I did have a 5 year battle with acute leukemia and I have a great empathy for the wounded and sick among us.

I believe you WILL help me make a selection though ... based on what I've got going here, I'm thinking the NL5/Afghan goes next and I'll post my phenos as I go.

Angel Heart and Critical Haze are/were both high on the list, but I think I still have to explore/establish my "go to indica" for consistent, quality yield.

cheers,
rabbit
Old 10-26-2011, 10:19 PM

Last edited by Blabla; 09-03-2013 at 10:31 PM.