Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS Forums > 4. Talk to Shantibaba and MrNice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2010, 07:12 PM

Question Is Cannabis Really Stronger Now Than It Was In The 60's and 70's?

Hi everyone, so below are some quotes I found on the 'potency' of cannabis. In the quotes they suggest that Cannabis is much stronger today than it was in the 70's.

Quote:
Pot is 10 to 20 times stronger.
In 1974, the average THC content of marijuana was less than 1 percent. But by 1999, potency averaged 7 percent.
Today’s sinsemilla … averages 14 percent and ranges as high as 30 percent.
The point is that the potency of available marijuana has not merely ‘doubled,’ but increased as much as 30 times.
- John P. Walters, Former White House Drug Czar
Quote:
Marijuana is more potent than at any time since scientific analysis of the drug began in the 1970s, according to a report from the University of Mississippi’s Potency Monitoring Project. The average amount of THC in marijuana, the primary psychoactive ingredient in the drug, was tested at 9.6% --more than double the potency of marijuana in 1983.

The highest concentration of THC found in a single sample was 37.2%.
Source
Quote:
The strength of marijuana being sold on the streets has more than doubled over the last 25 years, U.S. government experts warned last night.
A study backs evidence in Britain that today’s cannabis is effectively a different drug to that of the 60s and 70s....
Source

As I wasn't around back then, I need to ask-do we have anyone here at MNS that was around in the 70's or even the 60's? If so, what are your thoughts on this topic.

Were there any strains back in the day that you thought were stronger than some of the bud on the streets nowadays?

What were some of the strongest strains you remember from back in the 60's/70's?

Unfortunately I missed the 60's and 70's, I think I would have enjoyed it thoroughly, what with all the LSD, Cannabis, and free love that there was back then.

One more question before I go, does anybody think that one day there could be a Cannabis plant with 100% THC content? Maybe also containing super high CBD content? I saw a youtube video Shanti posted about Selective Breeding, jeez you want to see the cow in the vid-that's what got me thinking maybe one day we could achieve the 100% THC barrier?

And yes......I am stoned
Old 06-10-2010, 07:27 PM

i understand that supposively new cannabis has higher thc levels but the potency of the old sativa's i feel is quite unmatched...Panama Red, Columbian Gold and Thai-stick were the Kings of Cannabis when i was young...you can find some of that old school flavor and highs in some of the mns hybrids such as Nev's Haze, MangoHaze, SSH and i'm sure the new Rock N Rollers have some old school flavor and highs...i find it difficult to believe cannabis is stronger but the percentages may be higher tho the effects are not the same...hard to beat the old school Panama Red in my book
Old 06-11-2010, 12:09 AM

Personally I believe its all media hype bullshit. Plants have been around since the beginning of time. Each plant has an ability to be potent or not however new or old a variety it is.
I have spoken to people from back in the day who used to smoke ALOT and like 'DOG' said before me...they always reminisce those good old school strains. One guy I know told me recently who still smokes alot nowadays that he once smoked some thai stick back in canada in the 70's that was so strong that he has yet since been able to find/smoke anything that tops its strength, and he also told me he had some hawaiian dope back then and said it used to get him and his brother beyond wasted and they were big smokers back then too. I'm sure alot of plants around now what with the facilities and knowledge that we have now can be used to achieve a seriously potent plant but it's still a marijuana plant so I believe anything has the potential, its all about finding that special one!

Last edited by CANNABISMAN; 06-11-2010 at 12:11 AM.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:38 AM
bigherb

now i have noo experience with the strains of yesteryear and id lov to hear any of our og/oldtime growers n tokers experiences of comparisons

you kno im not educated in all the scientific info of cannabis and its studies and i dont believe everything i read ,soo i dont kno how much weight those old thc test hold

but common sense goes along way

before the mid 80's there was no indoor lighting how can we compare the actual imports to hybrids of today thai from thailand /SMCG from santa marta,the environmental factors latitude of the sun ,enriched soils ,acclimation of 100 plus year old lanraces,perennials as oppose to the common 8 week phenos there is no comparison in my mind we can't and will never duplicate nature especially the strongest light source of all the sun

wen i think of oldschool strains i think of my uncle about 69 who speaks of the strongest shit he smoked colombian wacky weed ,now the colombian strains hav african influence som of these strains are perennials like the colombians nepalese ,how could you compare n indoor kush lol to a 26 week lumbo

just my opinion

interesting topic id lov to hear more thoughts

1luvbigherb
Old 06-11-2010, 02:14 AM

I am an old toad and I smoked my share of shit brick swag in the 70s but I also smoked some stellar Colombian with a beautiful color and smell. I remember some Thai on the stick that was excellent also. I would put them up against anything around today. Maybe my memories are wishful ,but I remember some pretty dizzy sweaty sessions with Colombian as a pup. I had a girlfriend that brought back some buds from a family trip to Hawaii when I was 18 or so and that was really great smoke. I think it was more of a question of availability in the 60s-70s for me mostly. We had plenty of shit brown brick, whiskey and Quaaludes but the real good ganja was inconsistent in availability. May have been regional too. I think that's why so many people made brownies back then now that I think of it. What was it like in Europe in the 60s-70s anybody? Ale

Last edited by alegoblin; 06-11-2010 at 05:53 AM.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:56 PM

Ill have to say that the red columbians were the best smoke Ive had.It was just magical,you would laugh and grinn for hours,try and get that off the weed of today!!Imported weed of the 70s was way stronger than this sissy stuff we burn now.Ive smoked so much good weed its hard to single out just a few strains out of the thousands that Ive tried over 33 years of smokeing...peace
Old 06-11-2010, 02:15 PM
bigherb

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegoblin View Post
I am an old toad and I smoked my share of shit brick swag in the 70s but I also smoked some stellar Colombian with a beautiful color and smell. I remember some Thai on the stick that was excellent also. I would put them up against anything around today. Maybe my memories are wishful ,but I remember some pretty dizzy sweaty sessions with Colombian as a pup. I had a girlfriend that brought back some buds from a family trip to Hawaii when I was 18 or so and that was really great smoke. I think it was more of a question of availability in the 60s-70s for me mostly. We had plenty of shit brown brick, whiskey and Quaaludes but the real good ganja was inconsistent in availability. May have been regional too. I think that's why so many people made brownies back then now that I think of it. What was it like in Europe in the 60s-70s anybody? Ale

ale

your input is most appreciated
especially considering experience of the past and your still smoking now which is som the best strains around mns of course

it be most appreciated if you could describe in detail to your best ability som of those taste/aromas of the thai n colombians of the old ,effects are great too but subjective to the individual

1luvbigherb
Old 06-11-2010, 02:40 PM

In the past 100 years since governments first took notice of marijuana, the public has been fed a steady stream of lies and deceits. You might want to dismiss the three government sources above and try to find independent data that might more reliably suggest the truth.

Just remember G. W. Bush's words of wisdom:
"There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on - shame on you. Fool me — You can't get fooled again."
Old 06-11-2010, 04:07 PM

Default May Day 1980 Onwards

I Believe Cannabis May Be Stronger In General Nowadays , Thanks In Part To Selective Breeding ,
But ;
Strong Varieties Of Cannabis Have Been Around For Ages ( Ask Robert Mitchum )
Having Moved To The Pacific Northwest Of Canada In 1980 , I Have Sampled Some Stupifyingly Good Herb That Was Imported .
Top Quality Strains Like Cambodian ( Not The "Thai Style Brickweed ", But The Real Deal )
Brickweed , Otherwise Known As " Commercial " Was Always Available
Occasionally Some Top Quality Mexican Like Acapulco Gold , Or Panama Red Did Pop Up For Sale , As Did Jamaican Honey Oil .
But The Absolute Best Came From Hawaii , Or Maui To Be Exact.
The hashish Back Then Was Also Stronger . Both Types Of Gold Seal ( Romeo And Juliet ) Were Readily Available After Making Their Journey From Quebec's Docklands .
Everything Changed In 1983 When The Afghani ( A-1 ) Indica Made It's Premiere In Vancouver Before Moving On To The Commercial Entrepeneurs In Europe .
I'm Not Sure If It was Luc From Paradise seeds Who Claimed 30% THC In " Blue Haze " ( " The Local Authorities Consider Above 30% To Be Hard Drugs And Every Effort Is Made To Create Strains Under 30%" - Soft Secrets Article
No, Cannabis Is'nt Stronger ,
Only Thing Stronger Nowadays About cannabis Is It's Ties To Organised Crime And Whose Profits Go To Buying BB ( Not Blueberry , But Bombs And Bullets ).
JKP
P.S ; Their " Improvised " Explosive Devices Just Keep Evolving And Troops Keep On Coming Home In Body Bags
For Phucks Sake LEGALISE IT ALREADY
Old 06-11-2010, 05:28 PM

stronger cannabis is a good thing. you smoke less of it to get as high (it's the act of smoking which is bad, after all, not the high..)

getting more high is a good thing, isn't it? Yes, weed is stronger, the question is : so what?