Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS Forums > 4. Talk to Shantibaba and MrNice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2019, 12:27 AM

Default A5, C5, 5C122, another thread/story :)

Hi

Iíve been reading this forum for a long time, and I feel it is the right time for me to share some info/experience with you.

First of all, allow me to introduce myself. I started smoking and growing 10 years ago. Long story short I quickly ended with some Mr Nice stuff, I grew NHS, Shark Shock, NL5 Haze, Ortega, SSH, Afghan Haze, Mango Haze, Critical Haze, Skunk Haze and Nevil Haze. I also tried some Subcool TGA stuff and recently Karma Genetics.
First time I went to Amsterdam I was ę lucky Ľ to find and smoke what I remember to be some real good weed. The best one was a SSH from the dampkring, to this day it was one or maybe the best I have smoked. It was in 2009. The year after I went back to Amsterdam and all I found was bad weed. Same happened this year, everything I bought or smoked was horrible, flavorless, no flush (tasted fertilizer) or/and cut too early, but I was expecting that unfortunately.

I felt in love with Haze after my first trip in holland, and since then, Iíve been looking/searching and dreaming about Haze. I used to dream about C5, A5, and all the stories behind it. Thanks to this forum, I canít say Iím an expert but I can definitely talk about it. A special thought for Nevil of course, Shanti, but also member like LÄÄt or Yo Sammy, they were/are gold mine of info, a big big thanks to them!!

Few years back I met some guys who now are good friends of mine. Before I met them I was a lonely grower, I never had the chance to grow ę an elite cut Ľ and I was, except reading some internet forum, completely out of the cannabis world. Thanks to them I tried some very good cut like Sour Diesel riri or a Chem Dawg 91 and we are still keeping/preserving them.

An other long story short, 2 or 3 years back, my friends were gifted 3 very old school cut. All were NL5xHaze, the C5, A5 and the third one.

Here are some pictures of them, my last grow with A5 and C5 was hydro, and they performed quiet well. I also grew them in coco soil before that.

The third one I grew her only in coco soil, but I got this one earlier, and I grew her a few time more than A and C5

As I said my friends were gifted this cut because they know someone related to Nevil, because they love this plant, and to preserve them. They did not use them for their works and still, we have them secure along with other plants.

First let me talk about C5. My last grow with her was a hydro set up, and as I said earlier she performed well, very nice yield, but despite the 3 months of flowering, I think she could had been a little longer, I cut the fertilizer a bit early, and the flowers were a bit airy. Even the taste could had been improve. Itís real hard for me to talk about potency, Iím a big smoker, so I wonít speak too much about that. No trich on the leaves, or only a few on the tiny ones attached to the buds. Taste is piney, citrus, but again, itís hard to describe taste. Old school for sure.

C5 Cola and Bud

Drying C5

A5 has a less branchy architecture, and tends to grow more ę one bud styleĽ. Buds are more compact, densier, more trich on the leaves, and quicker to finish, 90 days seemed fine for her. The smoke is more ę savage Ľ, very hard to talk about taste, more potent than C5 most definitely. ę Darker Ľ in color but also in taste (imo, some weeds are fruity, other hashy, piney, citrus etc.... but I would define this one as ę dark Ľ, maybe ę sour Ľ but not in the Sour Diesel way, maybe a bit leathery but not in the same way the third cut I have).

A5

Drying A5

Overall, A5 in front, C5 behind.

The third one is my favorite. I grew her only in coco soil but a few times more than the A/C5. She is to me a true beauty. Very long flowering, a bit less than 4 month of flowering. Sativa leaves, she stretches more than the two others, more branchy, buds seem to have quiet the same architecture as C5, densier, but lower in yield, not the fat cola like C5, more like some ę nuggets Ľ with big internode/space between them. She has a very strong taste, no citrus, very leathery/Mango. Why mango? From all the seeds I grew from Mr Nice, I spend a long time on the Mango Haze (more than 20 females grew) and to me, she is the most ę stable Ľ I grew from Mr Nice. Many of them had this kind of scent/taste wich now I describe as Mango. Other strains had more differences, afghan Haze was citrus mostly, Skunk Haze clearly tasted Metallic (Iím still keeping a cut with a very nice fruity/metallic/acid-apple taste) but still, I did not see the same ressemblance like I saw it within MH.
I believe this cut is the 5C122, the mother of Mango Haze, and I also think she is the mother of NHS, but only Shanti could confirm this.

To me, only this third one could compete with todayís cut. Donít get me wrong, C5 and A5 are good plants, but they are old, and propably the mother of many many seedlings/strains we have today. To me this is why they are such gems and I would do everything I can to preserve them.
But if we talk about potency, flavor, bag appeal etc.., IMO you will be disappointed if you smoke them. And maybe that is why Shanti doesnít nít give to much attention about all the hype with these cut. Because todayís gems are the descendant of this few plants.
How a 80ís cut could compete with something like Gorilla Glue or a Banana OG (I didnít try any of them so I could be wrong), or anything ę new Ľ. Again donít get me wrong, itís not because itís new itís best, and we could talk about the lost of species/strains, consanguinity etc... but itís an other story 😉.

A big thanks to everyone who helped to preserve this plants, Iím thinking Nevil/Shanti of course but also Joan, Bonk, Yo sammy, many I forgot and many we donít know, all the lover who tried to preserve and share their passion for this plant.
Old 08-06-2019, 02:03 AM
Banned

G `day Pyran

Its not what you know .
Its who you know that matters .

Congrats .

Thanks for sharein

EB .
Old 08-06-2019, 01:09 PM

Thanks for sharing your story and those photos. I'd also love to see what your Chem plants look like...nice to have a catalogue of photos of the elite cuts. It would be interesting if Shanti rings in, and whether he shared cuts of 5HzC122 with anyone.
Old 08-06-2019, 03:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus_in_the_Darkus View Post
Thanks for sharing your story and those photos. I'd also love to see what your Chem plants look like...nice to have a catalogue of photos of the elite cuts. It would be interesting if Shanti rings in, and whether he shared cuts of 5HzC122 with anyone.
G `day MITD

There were more than one A5 and C5 originally .
I would like to hear more re the #122 male from NHS and where it fits in the pedigrees .

Thanks for sharin

EB .
Old 08-06-2019, 06:53 PM

#122 is the female that is the mother of mango haze.

if there was a male selected, i doubt its number is also 122.
but that male might be the father of NH x mango?
Old 08-06-2019, 08:51 PM

A5 sounds nice to me, remember sharing is caring
Old 08-06-2019, 11:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack hairy View Post
#122 is the female that is the mother of mango haze.

if there was a male selected, i doubt its number is also 122.
but that male might be the father of NH x mango?
G `day Jacky

I ask because it has been mentioned by Shantibaba .
He said he had a male from NHS he called #122 .

If it is the mother of Nevil`s Mango that would make sense . As the NH / M has much earlier phenos than Nevil`s Haze or Mango Haze .

Also is this #122 male involved with Mango Hz IBL ? Creating earlier denser phenos ?

Thanks for sharin

EB .
Old 08-07-2019, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer Bud View Post
G `day Jacky

I ask because it has been mentioned by Shantibaba .
He said he had a male from NHS he called #122 .

If it is the mother of Nevil`s Mango that would make sense . As the NH / M has much earlier phenos than Nevil`s Haze or Mango Haze .

Also is this #122 male involved with Mango Hz IBL ? Creating earlier denser phenos ?

Thanks for sharin

EB .
Are you sure?

I'm pretty sure NHS is/was NL5xHaze female to a male skunk from 1984 or around. Remembering my first NHS makes me think it was 5C122.

I also remember Shanti talking about a #122 male but nothing connected or related to NHS.

NHS was my first Mr Nice experience, and the first Hazy pheno I had was a monster, very Hazy, tasty, potent, I miss her so much. I should go for a pack or two one day and look for the Hazy/late finisher.

I would love Shanti to be more clear about pedigree, some info about mother and father (like taste/potency/yield etc...).
Old 08-07-2019, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyran View Post

I would love Shanti to be more clear about pedigree, some info about mother and father (like taste/potency/yield etc...).
i second you on that one

as far as that mango male, i cant remember where it was i read the info, sure it was the same thing everyone else read...

but my interpretation was that it was a male like the 122 female, but not necessarily named 122 or anything.

I kinda thought NHS was C5 x skunk, but i dont have any basis for that other than if you had the C5, wouldnt you use it in more than one cross?
of course the doors is another now...
Old 08-07-2019, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantibaba View Post
Hi All

I will edit the strain page and try to update the photos also, i realise there are a few misleading details now , sorry.

Mango haze has both a female and a male side as it came out of an old batch of seed and both were selected by me in 2001 the same time as G13sk seed was also germinated from old seed.The MH female known as 122 selected at the same time as SSH came from a plant selection of Nevil`s around 1996-7.

All the best sb
Everything is very confusing.

As NHS, I remember Shanti saying he prefers MH over SSH unlike Nev, so I won't be surprised if he is using mostly the MH (5C122 or anything descending from her) to produce new hybrids. Even Nevil on this forum agreed MH was top smoke.