Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS Forums > 4. Talk to Shantibaba and MrNice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2012, 09:21 AM

Default FYI

Wanted to share some thoughts regarding "Sour Diesel"

I know a few respectable growers out of Cali. Long story short, they took a male DNA cantaloupe haze (some say it's just c99) and crossed it to a female 2010 MNS NevilHaze x 2010 Sensi NL5Haze.

well a third of the progeny is sour diesel. The other third is sweet honeydew/pineapple, and the rest fall in the middle.

So ... I wasn't there in 91' at the dead show where the ChemDawg supposedly originated that the diesel stemmed from. I'm not even a dead fan. Pink Floyd is more my speed. In any event ... I am here now and what happens when you water the seeds of this cross I mentioned is that sour diesel starts growing everywhere so I thought I'd share.

I grew up in NYC, I've tasted all of the diesels. Sour Diesel, Sour sage, NYC diesel, east coast diesel, etc.

The taste, smell, and high of this new cross are one in the same with sour diesel.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:29 AM
Banned

thats cool, but it also doesnt make sense because these plants werent available early to late 90's.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:41 AM

well I have always heard the sour diesel originated with the ChemDawg line circa 1991. What I'm beginning to think however is that the ChemDawg originates from Nevils work back then.

If Canteloupe haze is actually c99 as many speculate, and if you know the story of c99? it originated from Nevils genetics.

Additionally the NL5 haze and the Nevil Haze also originated with Nevil. So I thought it worth mention that it seems certain combinations of Nevils genetics, which mns currently sells, will produce ChemDawg and diesels of equal or greater calibur than the best chemdawgs around, no problem, and without herm tendencies.

The only reason I even started this thread was just to enlighten those in the know, or in the dark. Shanti and MNS have always had proper genetics, to this day they still shine bright.

I'm not into chasing elusive clones ... that's why mns is the real deal, the genetics from shanti and Nevil hold and offer in seed form hold the ultimate potential.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:45 AM

by the way jack, it's been a pleasure following you in the forums, you're an active member and always give
me something intersting to read! ...as do many of you.

Life's been tough lately and I definitely spend time in the forums for down relaxation time. Thanks everyone for all your contributions.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:48 PM
Banned

its why we are all here, well most of us.

what i meant is that the new nl5 haze is different, who knows what sensis is, i only got one female and one male from a pack, and it is barely flowering compared to the MNS version.

cantelope haze and c99 are newer strains, but yes they did come from nevils work.
obviously c99 and cantelope haze were not involved with breeding diesel. they just werent around yet, i think. when did diesel and OG first show up?

some think the chemdawg is a pure afghani line, i could see that.
and jack herer and super silver haze were around back then.
i have yet to see for myself, but maybe the catpissy smell is the fuel/sour vapor type smell many of us are looking for.
if such great plants can be bred from "inbreeding" haze, why have the real deal breeders yet to put out a heavily worked haze line?
Old 06-23-2012, 02:54 PM

Hey Purday, i see your starting to come around to my thinking. Well not just thinkin but its fact. Grow the seeds there like a history book and every chapter is a story in itself.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:08 PM

That an approximate set of characteristics having been experienced in the past as 'sour diesel' should pop up from more than one apparent genetic heritage seems reasonable, esp. with modern travel when humans can bring together various pollens and pistils, move seeds/cuts across the globe, and so forth, at relatively breakneck pace compared to the past.

As for who does the consistently good work as opposed to 'getting lucky' here or there, it is obvious that it should be the breeder or breeders who are able to select and maintain the most desireable traits in plants. Not many enterprises producing cannabis seeds appear to have access to even close to optimal facilities (extensive greenhouses, cross-border arrangements for maintaining parental plants, etc) that would allow them to achieve consistent success breeding high quality seeds. In addition to competent breeding know-how, seems there would be no getting around the need to have access to these above mentioned assets, in particular those assets allowing for selection among adequately large populations. Seems the average consumer mostly misses this and makes the inferior the better-selling products. I guess Shantibaba is among a relatively small set of active commercial Cannabis breeders (I don't know how small) who understands and practices these things.

Last edited by donb; 06-23-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
what i meant is that the new nl5 haze is different, who knows what sensis is, i only got one female and one male from a pack, and it is barely flowering compared to the MNS version.
i second that

sensis nl5Hz (2010) is major crap, only thing that this crossing partner does is reduce flowering time as its ready within 60-70 days

any sour is 3 to 5 times better (taste, effect) than sensis genetics, so i doubt someone would have used those beens for crossing

hmmm