Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS Forums > 3. The daily news

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011, 05:30 PM

I like white people just fine.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:49 PM
Administrator

The increasingly antiscience Republican candidates

A lot of folks on the web are buzzing about Paul Krugman’s NYT OpEd today about the antiscience convictions of the current cohort of Republican candidates running for President of these United States. I find little fault in what Krugman wrote. Each candidate on the right is simply scrambling to be even more antiscience than the next.

Of course, if that "next" is Rick Perry, then I doubt anyone could sprint away from reality more than he does. He’s a dyed-in-the-wool creationist who apparently has no problem narrowing or stepping well over the line with separation of Church and State, and when it comes to denying climate change he also apparently had no problem with simply making things up (Krugman calls his statements "vile", and the Washington Post blog The Fact Checker rated his claims as "whoppers"). Perry’s stance on other big issues is similar.

And he’s far and away the front runner, which leaves me shaking my head.

Where Michele Bachmann and Rick Santorum stand is obvious. Newt Gingrich — who claims he’s a fan of science — equivocates when it comes to Intelligent Design and evolution as well as global warming, and was instrumental in defunding the House Office of Technology Assessment in 1995.

Even the candidates people are calling "moderate" are falling over themselves to appease the base when it comes to science and the lack thereof. Mitt Romney tried to eat his cake and have it too about accepting evolution, and even Ron Paul has now distanced himself from evolution.

Which brings up Jon Huntsman, which is where things get truly maddening. He recently said he thinks both evolution and global warming are real. This makes me sad, and scared. Why? Because this statement is considered bold.

How can it be bold to accept reality, to not deny the overwhelming evidence, and to agree with the vast, vast majority of scientists studying the very topics of discussion?

Huntsman wants his party not to be "the antiscience party". But that shouldn’t be bold. That should be common sense.

As it happens, Huntsman is trailing in the polls by a nearly insurmountable distance. That’s certainly not caused by his statement — he’s been behind for a long time — and may not even be correlated directly; as one Republican strategist commented, he may simply be saying things to try to stand out from the crowd.

But if true, think on that: he’s making clear, logical, rational statements in order to separate himself from the other candidates.

And that’s where we are.

The increasingly antiscience Republican candidates | Bad Astronomy | Discover Magazine

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.

The Desiderata - Max Ehrmann in the 1920s

Basic community rules for the Mr Nice Seedbank forum

Old 08-30-2011, 08:10 AM

It's so adorable how Americans STILL think their votes matter.

Washington DC's rules apply to all federal employees, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and a few more people. That does not cover too much of America. Why do you ALLOW THEM to tell you how to live.

A king gets ALL of his power from the ones he rules.

Otherwise, if you are an American and SMART enough to take off your little handcuffs and chains you will learn to protect yourself everytime you encounter evil, cause it does exist.

Debating about God and Jesus' color is absolutely ridiculous!

This is just another tool to divide...

Division is for tools!...
KB 8)_~
Old 08-30-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cat View Post
I like white people just fine.
I especially like the females of the species ...
Old 08-30-2011, 04:34 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrabbit View Post
I especially like the females of the species ...
White people are a species?

When did that happen?
Old 08-30-2011, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshGenetics View Post
White people are a species?

When did that happen?
My girlfriend keeps calling me "a specimen" ... doesn't that make it so?