Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > MNS Forums > 3. The daily news

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2020, 01:00 AM

Default GMO is here and in several flavors

So, GMO has gotten off to a fast start in 2019, and this trend continues into 2020 with two basic methods being used/patented. Most of the methods are based on genetic engineering placing genes into brewer's yeast or bacteria to produce Cannabinoids or terpenoids in vats. There are now over 18 companies actively researching or engaging in these types of processes. Most of the GMO research has been done in the USA and most of the production is happening in Canada. The targets for yeast and bacteria GMO produced Cannabinoids and terpenoisd is focused on the beverage and pharmaceutical industries. So far one company claims that they can brew up and refine 1 kilo of pure CBD in vats for 20% of the cost of plant produced CBD.

There is another method of GMO being engineered in New Mexico that has altered the Cannabis plant to produce water soluble Cannabinoids. That company (Trait Bioscience) is also using GMO methods to produce mold resistant Cannabis plant strains, strains with any desired Cannabinoid ratios in the flowers, and plants that have zero THC (pure hemp that would make even the state of Idaho happy). Trait is also working on generating Cannabis plants that do not need to flower in order to make Cannabinoids.

Its a Brave New World. Old school weed is well, even older school now.

Last edited by Big Sur; 01-10-2020 at 01:02 AM.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:21 AM

OMG.... what to say on that..

its terrible,
thus thanks for info.

Good to know theese kind of info..

Just wondering, what does 20% cheaper cbd making means.. If the plant can live on its own ? I know GMO
Old 01-11-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P3Ci View Post
OMG.... what to say on that..

its terrible,
thus thanks for info.

Good to know theese kind of info..

Just wondering, what does 20% cheaper cbd making means.. If the plant can live on its own ? I know GMO
Its not 20% cheaper to make GMO CBD with brewer's yeast in vats, its 80% cheaper in vats than when growing CBD with Cannabis plants at today's market prices. The yeast will crank out cheap CBD or any cannabinoid or terpinoid that you want. All they need is the molecule to duplicate. The yeast produced CBD will be chemically identical to the Cannabis plant produced CBD. The CBD will not be GMO, the yeast will be. So in that regard the final product is the same, but the GMO CBD will only cost 20% to make as compared to plant grown CBD prices today. The cost for both will go down over time as yields ramp up in hemp growing and yeast vat batch processing. So where prices and processing will all wind up is a guessing game at this point.

It is not the end of the world though. Insulin these days is made by GMO bacteria with human DNA injected into it. The GM bacteria insulin produced is similar to human pancreas produced insulin, but better as it has been buffered and modified to release slower than human insulin. And the costs, while still being high, are way way way less than the old way of making insulin 'naturally' from dog and pig pancreases. The difference here between GMO cannabinoids produced and say... GMO corn is that with GMO corn, you are ingesting the grain of the GMO modified corn, germ and all. With GMO modified yeast, all that you are ingesting is the pure CBD. The GMO yeast will be filtered out. They are working on producing CBD, THC and CBG at this point, but I can see a large market for CBC, THCv, and many terpenoids including linalool and pinene.

In the end the success or failure of GMO cannabinoids will come down to buyers when it comes to vape pens and oil. Most vape pen users here could care less where the oil comes from. For them it is all about price and what the highs are like. With pure GMO yeast produced cannabinoids, terpenoids and flavinoids, you can blend any flavor and high vape oil that you want. Take Haze, break it down to what it has for cannabinoids and terpenoids, and replicate it. Simple. GMO Haze oil. For Rx and beverage companies, I cannot see how natural grown Cannabis can compete with these methods. Big pharma is already set up to create, market and distribute GMO Rx and OTC products. The beverage companies are still working out what to do with legalized marijuana. Canada is a huge testing ground for them. I can see mini bottle of Jolt Canna on the shelves, as well as Canna Corona beer with a double buzz factor. Beer and a joint all ready to pour from a bottle. Lip smacking good.

Last edited by Big Sur; 01-11-2020 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:31 AM

Yeah, i see your point.
Iam just more natural focused and so.

But Iam not blaming this overall. Just my 1st fast opinion on thing.

On the others side (point of my view) atleast something is happening.
That is for good things, to say.
Old 01-12-2020, 06:25 AM

The onrush of legalization of hemp and marijuana and rapid methods using technology is changing the world of Cannabis virtually overnight. The paradigms as we know them are all in a state of flux. Where it will go is anyone's guess. While hemp has been legalized in the US at the federal level, huge hemp acreage are being pulled up and burned or plowed under in states like California and Sough Carolina. At the same time Indiana has legalized recreational weed in the US, bringing the total to 11 Legal States of America. 22 more states have legalized some form of medical marijuana. At the same time Mexico is dragging its feet in legalizing recreational weed there. Thailand and Greece have legalized medical marijuana, as have Jamaica, New Zealand, Australia, Argentina, Peru, and Ecuador. Colombia is currently working on a law to legalize medical and recreational marijuana. Portugal, Spain and Belgium have all decriminalized weed to some degree.