Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Competitions and giveaways > 17. Monthly contests

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2009, 05:25 PM

Cool The Completely Unauthorized MNS Beer Cup Challenge!!!

Last night, BakedBeans suggested a beer cup grow contest, so here goes

I'll be running 2 SSH clones in organic soil, and I will flip at least 8 seedplants in beer cups for this. My personal goal is to get a gram an oz (20g in a 20 oz cup...) on at least 1 plant.

Here are the SSH. I flipped them today, and they generally take 12weeks in soil, although they will prolly come in sooner due to the root restriction (). They are prolly just under a week vegged.

Here are the 8 seeds that I HOPE to use. They are from an emergency stash of SSH f2 and Spice x SSH. I planted these soaked seeds yesterday, and 7 of 8 had tails. If I don't get all 8 of these, I have EQ x Shit in the seed starter trays to replace any duds with.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:22 PM

Location: Fuck Gov't conspriacies and those that want to try to make a big deal of them.

Ok, I'm in, however no SSH seeds, but I have several late flowering sativas to choose from:

SMC
Various Thai
Oaxaca

and I also have those old school strains, many are sativa or sativa dominant.

So you guys make the call and let me know what you want to see. I'm running 2 P-88 females right now, however I have just enough room to run a couple small 20 oz soil containers for this. I do not drink, nor do I have any plastic cups; and honestly, I'm too damn cheap to get some, so I will look through my containers and find one within the 20 oz soil limit. Actually, I think I have some I use for germ/seedlings which would work about right, they may be a tad smaller than a 20 oz solo cup....so break down the guidelines and qualifications for this contest. I will donate 10 of my Thai seeds as a reward for the winner.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:38 PM

You can't be too cheap to get a pack of party cups!!! They are like $2, and $.99 on sale

Lol, let's just put a limit at 20 oz of 'root space'. If someone wants to build a lil 20oz aero unit, I'd LOVE to see it . Say - 14 weeks? April 1? Any nute/light/medium/water style you like, but no more than 20 oz for the roots. I plan on putting the cups in lil saucers when they start to REALLY want water. I also have something up my sleeve for the seeds...

- 20 oz max root space, any medium/grow style.
- Full 'method' disclosure at SOME point before April 1.
- Harvest by April 1.
- Pics or it didn't happen.
- Any strain you have available.
- Winner chosen by a community poll after April 1.

That's what I can come up with, lemmie know what you all think.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:01 PM

Location: Fuck Gov't conspriacies and those that want to try to make a big deal of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickStar View Post
You can't be too cheap to get a pack of party cups!!! They are like $2, and $.99 on sale
I can be pretty cheap.

That sounds good. I will drop by the $.99 store and get some cups. I will most likely go w/ some Thai, why not, it will be a challenge.

My set-up:

2.6 sq. ft. storage cabnet converted to a grow cab.
4X T-5 HO, and 2X T-12 flourotubes(apprx. 8,700 lumens)
Soil will be Fox Farm Ocean Forest mixed with some Happy Frog.
Nutes will be TechnaFlora BC Grow, Bloom, and Boost. Some Botanicare Cal/Mag Plus, and a little molasses during flowering.
2X 4 inch inlet fans and 2X 4 inch outlet fans.

I will do some Thai, and just for kicks, some Michoacan Mex. May be 4 or 5 of each so I can pretty much count on a good female of each.

So when it the starting deadline so I can get these seeds soaking?
Old 12-14-2009, 08:42 PM

Asap. Just pull by April 1. I'm using clones that I cut ~a month ago, and seeds that I dropped in papertowels a few days ago.

Btw, my setup is 400's. HPS atm, but the CMH's are on the way Mostly organic for the seeds, and prolly omri certified for the cuts, lol. Gonna rely heavy on mykes and castings to grow the plants. Some guano and kelp will be involved, and if necessary, bottle shots. My soil is part recycled, prolly ~40% coco, ~20% compost, ~20% perlite, ~10% peat, ~10% castings.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:44 AM

Well geez Louise nothing like giving a heads up that this was going to happen !

You guys already have ahead start on those of us who haven't even popped any beans . What kind of handi cap for those of us who haven't even started yet ?
Old 12-15-2009, 10:01 AM

OK, I'm in. I haven't got a rooted clone of big-head-momma but I have another 2 Mango Haze clones rooted and spare - That's 1 for me and 1 for Cola Bro.

Let the games begin...

GS

ps - I'm not competitive (ahem) but you're all the enemy until I've won, er I mean someone has won!!!

Old 12-15-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover Sativa View Post
OK, I'm in. I haven't got a rooted clone of big-head-momma but I have another 2 Mango Haze clones rooted and spare - That's 1 for me and 1 for Cola Bro.

Let the games begin...

GS

ps - I'm not competitive (ahem) but you're all the enemy until I've won, er I mean someone has won!!!

Well, in all fairness I was going to start some Thai & Mexi beans, however I can take some cuts off my P-88, maybe I will just use that, for figuring at least one week to get the beans to pop through the soil, and we are talking 14 weeks, they take at least that just to flower, so even if I allowed them only 1 week once they popped thru, I'm looking at at least 16 weeks. So it will be P-88 for me b/c cuts today or tomorrow, 10-15 days to get rooted, 2 week of veg, and since one of the 2 P-88's I have is showing to be leaning more towards the Sativa side of things, I'm looking at at least 9-10 weeks of flowering.

Is trimming the roots, as in making bonsai's within the rules? Just to make sure. Also, what about LST?
Old 12-15-2009, 03:28 PM

Excellent

April, sounds good, that should get people long enough to bring in their long flowering sativas
I've seen a sativa in a 16 oz cup get to about 4 feet LOL so topping and training might still be in order.
I think I'll be running a ssh f2 clone or possibly White Diesel (from a hobby breeder friend, WWidow x RezdogSourDiesel ibl)

Thai for a rize - very kind offer mate.

I can offer 15 seeds of White Diesel#1 x SSHf2

The white diesel#1 is my favourite keeper, catshit/bubblegum smell comes on at week 7 and shes finished by 8 or 9 weeks. The dads were SSH f2, one skunk pheno and one more NL/haze, (ssh f2 Fritillary seed collective stock)
Maybe there could be a 2nd place prize, or perhaps winner takes all?
Old 12-15-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sativalvr View Post
Is trimming the roots, as in making bonsai's within the rules? Just to make sure. Also, what about LST?

I think everthing is allowed that way we get to see many diferent ingenius techniques and perhaps some new discoveries.

I'll be soldering holes in my plastic pot to make it an air pot That makes the plant act like it was in a bigger size pot due to the air pruning of the roots.