Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 15. Plant doctor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2011, 09:49 AM

Default Co2 info needed if anyone can help

as some of u know im a newbie-ish flying by the seat of my pant, but with the help and advice i read and been given here im doing just fine thank you all..
now the issue, i was adviced to get Co2 to help, which i did fortunatly my m8 just bought a pub so i now haave access no prob, what i dont have is £300+ to spend on a way to use it, so i want to know the best way to get gas from a 6kg bottle into my tent without killing myself or worse hurting the plants...

as usual ill thank you all in advance.

Ps got the amazon and boy did it make a differance, when im str8 enough ill go buy a camera and post you a few,..lol i read about the iphone so no pics till i get a camera.

its nice to be inportant..but more inportant to be nice.

reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol and drugs.......hehe

i resemble that statement........
Old 05-25-2011, 02:05 PM
Banned

to be honest a crack under the door will supply enough c02. I my self have use c02 and didnt really notice a difference so why bother it just bringing up the cost of the product if you have suffient ventalation you shouldnt need c02 injection
Old 05-26-2011, 01:38 PM

Default No experience but

I went to buy a c02 unit at the grow shop and the owner said not to bother unless I had more then 4 tables going. He said good fresh air would do just as good in my case of 1 table under 2 1000 watt lights. He told me to get every thing else in order first. He ended up selling me a good intake and exhaust fan. It saved me a bundle of money. The guys had the co2 unit sitting right there on display. I have known him for about 8 eight years he has never steered me wrong in the past.

Second point: when I was doing the research I kept on reading that when the co2 is added that the bud get about 30% bigger but they are fluffy. I don't really like fluffy bud or at least the people who get the end product they whine a bit good smoke or not. Its all about presentation of looks and smell in my books. From what I read they said said use co2 in veg mode not when in flower to keep buds dense. I never tride it though would like to though I am just not sure if the cost and excess heat is worth the extra 30%

I
Old 05-28-2011, 08:55 AM

Default thanks guys

well ill trust your advice over the fool that told me i needed it,

just one prob left now to get this thing outa here...lol

its nice to be inportant..but more inportant to be nice.

reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol and drugs.......hehe

i resemble that statement........
Old 06-27-2011, 06:25 PM
anonymouse

Default co2

guys guys guys, don't be hasty....

if you have bulk gas don't toss it just because of the advice here, just use it wisely... and go study up a little bit at Carbon dioxide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

pH control
Carbon dioxide can be used as a mean of controlling the pH of swimming pools, by continuously adding gas to the water, thus keeping the pH level from rising. Among the advantages of this is the avoidance of handling (more hazardous) acids.
CO2 is also used in the keeping of reef aquaria, where it is commonly used in calcium reactors to temporarily lower the pH of water being passed over calcium carbonate in order to allow the calcium carbonate to dissolve into the water more freely where it is used by some corals to build their skeleton.

ok thats cool right? heres the short answer without pasting the whole wiki...

it can be dangerous so be careful if you plan on using it in a sealed room, somewheres around 1000-1100 ppm the entire plants life cycle (MINUS night time) is what I've seen alot of pro's running over 10K watt's showing off. Keep in mind they probably have great ventihilation + sealing ability so keep that in mind as well for future plans
Old 06-27-2011, 06:59 PM

ok, learning alot about Co2 over a couple weeks time, I'll give you all my info

-you need high light intensity, think 100 watts a square foot ( estimation..... )
-you want canopy temps to be 75-78F
-you want Co2 at around 700-900 (they say 750 sweet spot )
-you need Co2 at night to be 500 or less
-(they say RH at 55% sweet spot )

I am no master at Co2. but these are based off some studies on Co2, one on cannabis, and am passing along some info.. these are not concrete once again as I don't beleive we are at a point where we fully know what to set our rooms at
Old 06-27-2011, 09:15 PM

Not a co2 master either - never used it, but i have done a lot of studying and reading.

Most common piece of advice given about co2 injection is to have all other aspects of your grow in order first.

Quote under is from a company who sell co2 generators and equipment - advicing against spending money with them befor having the rest of the room in order. To me it seems like good advice.

Quote:
Q: I’m new to growing and have heard that I should be adding CO2 to my grow room. Do you recommend that I do so?
A: No. We only recommend CO2 is used by experienced growers who have complete control over every aspect of their grow room. To benefit from using CO2, temperature, humidity, lighting and nutrient management all need to be perfect. If you are new to growing then master the basics before thinking about adding a CO2 system. Experienced growers should complete at least three cycles in each grow room before adding a CO2 system.

Q: Why do you recommend that I grow at least three cycles without CO2?
A: You need to know the maximum potential of the grow room before adding CO2 to give you a control to which you can compare your results to after you start adding CO2. Without a control, you will not know if adding CO2 has been a real benefit or simply a waste of time and money. Another reason why it’s not a good idea to add CO2 until you have your system working perfectly is because when you start adding CO2 your plants will begin to look very healthy and whilst this may look like a good thing it can make any problems that you do have more difficult to identify, so your plants will look good when they are growing but will not yield more at the end of the harvest. To benefit from CO2 all parameters need to be perfect. After three cycles in a new grow room you will know how the room reacts and will have made the necessary adjustments to your equipment to be able to control your environment perfectly. You will also know your plant variety and your growing system inside out. After three cycles you will have ironed out your problems and will know the maximum potential of the grow room without CO2. At this point you are ready to start using CO2 and seeing its benefits.
Interestingly they also advice to use extraction fans at the same time as co2 - their rationale being that if you use a co2 generator that runs on lpg gas - the gas is so cheap and easily available that it's much more cost effective to use ventilation and use more lpg to generate co2 than air-conditioning which draws a lot of electricity.

Makes it a lot easier to convert to using co2 from a ventilated grow.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:30 AM

I would never use gas in a ventilated room.. only sealed rooms should really have gas, as your fine tuning the room by use of all the equipment needed.. it will also never allow your PPM monitor to fully work if your exchanging the gas so often, and when you bring in air the temps will change.. to me this is flawed advice as a burner gets the rooom very hot without AC, I've never heard anyone able to usea gernerator without AC, hell alone most people's rooms are way to hot being in the mid to high 80F

in sealed rooms you have to use gas, no choice as the Co2 will reach under 350 very easily
Old 06-28-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper View Post
I would never use gas in a ventilated room.. only sealed rooms should really have gas, as your fine tuning the room by use of all the equipment needed.. it will also never allow your PPM monitor to fully work if your exchanging the gas so often, and when you bring in air the temps will change.. to me this is flawed advice as a burner gets the rooom very hot without AC, I've never heard anyone able to usea gernerator without AC, hell alone most people's rooms are way to hot being in the mid to high 80F

in sealed rooms you have to use gas, no choice as the Co2 will reach under 350 very easily
That's true in a narrow set of circumstances.

If you're in socal or another hot location where you need to use ac anyway then sealed is the way to go. But if you're in a cooler region where using cold outside air to cool your grow makes it easy to control temps with ventilation then there's no need to run sealed.

How do you think commercial greenhouses use co2? They sure as hell don't run sealed and spend a ton of money on ac and elec. They simply hook up a co2 generator and use airexchange to control temps.

The key being that plants like it a bit hotter when running co2 so added heat of generator is more or less offset by this. And the fact that lpg is cheap and easy means that even if you're wasting gas by venting it's still much more efficient than using ac.

Also if your room is too hot in the first place - then you don't have control of your grow, and then it's better to get the room in order before adding co2 imo.

Don't mean to come across as argumentative - it's just that I see advice that is specific to hot climate grow rooms being repeated as universal truth even though the person asking is in northern europe - where venting while using co2 makes much more sense than running sealed.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:46 AM

In my limited experience, Co2 is the only limiting factor in not having the most dense buds. I believe the earlier post about fluffy buds with c02 to be false. Co2 create far denser buds when i have used it. Same sized buds will wiegh more when c02 injected and grown in ideal conditions. I can only assume the heat was too high in those grows where they were using c02 because to me that is the main cause of fluffy bud, heat.

I was under the impression that around 1500 ppm was the ideal range when all other factors are taken care of ie. light, temps, good root zones, nutes and air movement. Also, c02 injected rooms are able to withstand higher heat and still thrive up to 85F degrees