Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 15. Plant doctor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2010, 08:44 AM

Default Hydrogen Peroxide Treatment for Leaf Fungus

Let me explain the situation.

I had some bags of soil and coco that had been left outside most of the summer and all of autumn. When I came to use the mediums I did not think anything of it and just potted my plants up.

A few days later what I saw was a real big shock and a bit of a scare really as I had not seen anything as vicious before.

I have seen LSF and that can take a few days to take hold and get going. This was different. Every time I went into my veg room I was seeing new leaves affected.

It wasn't just one of two plants. It was all my mother plants and all the plants in my veg room including the transplants I had potted up into coco.

After doing some reading about the benefits of H2O2 to combat Fungus Gnat larvae in the root zone of plants, I came to the conclusion that H2o2 was not all that bad. If its safe to use on the roots of hydro and soil plants then it must be safe to use on Leaves right?

Coincidentally my missus caught me reading a few PDF docs while doing dinner in the kitchen. She told me that she has H2o2 Stuff for teeth whitening and it "fizzes as if its eating away at anything nasty" (her words)

I was getting more and more intrigued as this stuff seems relatively safe to use on pretty much everything and then I thought about HOW it works and knew straight away I should test it on my plants in my veg room.

There was none of the "Should I test it on a few leaves first" - I was in a serious predicament here. My plants were dying.

I used 1L of warm water mixed with 250ml of 3% H2o2 from the chemist and then gave all the plants in my veg room a good blasting.

I repeated this twice a day for about 5 days and to my surprise the leaves that were affected did not repair themselves but the fungus did not spread and kill the whole leaf like it was before.

What was more interesting was the rate at which new growth was appearing. It seemed that the extra oxygen was causing the new growth to be a lot more vigorous and none of the new growth seems to be affected.

I am pretty happy to say that the plants are making a full recovery.

Here is some info I found while researching this

Quote:
Hydrogen Peroxide Treatment

To prevent bacterial and fungal problems on outdoor plants use hydrogen peroxide! Hydrogen peroxide will prevent the disease spores from adhering to the plant tissue. It causes no harm to plants or soil, however don't use on young transplants or direct seeded crops until they have become established. Warning: Always test on a small portion of plant tissue first to check for any negative reactions. Do not proceed if there is any damage to plant tissue. Do not substitute food grade H2O2 for the common H2O2. Spray plants with undiluted 3 percent hydrogen peroxide that you can buy most anywhere. Be sure to cover tops and bottoms of leaves. Do this once a week during dry weather and twice a week in wet weather. This works as a preventative. If you already have problems use this as a direct treatment.
Stay Cool,
Doobz

Its Nice To Be Important.. But Its More Important To Be Nice..
Old 11-18-2010, 11:32 AM

Good call Doobz. I use H2O2 for the same reason. I also spray my plats with every once in a while and my girls seem to love it. I do know that they kill your benes but as you already know, it only takes a short amount of time for that to start back up.

sp
Old 11-18-2010, 01:03 PM

hi all

nice one Doobz,

nevertheless, I would be carefull;

maybe the fact that your bags were outside had nothing to do with this and you just had an airborn contamination on your leaves, it this case you might have managed to kill/ limit it.

maybe the leaves turning brown, chlorotic / nectrotic and loss of strengh can also be a secondary symptome due to the infection of your root systeme (water and nutrients can't go up to the leaves anymore), in that case probably caused by a pathogen that developed during storage of the soil outside. In that case, spraying the leaves wont have any effect as the pathogene is in the roots.

keep on looking and see how it goes; you'll maybe have to treat your soil.

cheers

bonbolos
Old 11-18-2010, 03:57 PM

I sometimes wonder if people actually read before posting..

Thanks for your response bonbolos.. The issue I observed was prevalent in the plants that were potted up with two different mediums. It was nothing to do with the root system as they are strong and healthy.

This is without a doubt something caused by some fungal spores similar to LSF or even LSF itself..

The issue has now CLEARED so there is nothing to "see how it goes" - the plants in the coco have now been potted up with a nice healthy root system..

Doobz

Its Nice To Be Important.. But Its More Important To Be Nice..
Old 07-15-2013, 01:41 PM

Default Method used in a Red Lady Papaya plantation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobz View Post
Let me explain the situation.

I had some bags of soil and coco that had been left outside most of the summer and all of autumn. When I came to use the mediums I did not think anything of it and just potted my plants up.

A few days later what I saw was a real big shock and a bit of a scare really as I had not seen anything as vicious before.

I have seen LSF and that can take a few days to take hold and get going. This was different. Every time I went into my veg room I was seeing new leaves affected.

It wasn't just one of two plants. It was all my mother plants and all the plants in my veg room including the transplants I had potted up into coco.

After doing some reading about the benefits of H2O2 to combat Fungus Gnat larvae in the root zone of plants, I came to the conclusion that H2o2 was not all that bad. If its safe to use on the roots of hydro and soil plants then it must be safe to use on Leaves right?

Coincidentally my missus caught me reading a few PDF docs while doing dinner in the kitchen. She told me that she has H2o2 Stuff for teeth whitening and it "fizzes as if its eating away at anything nasty" (her words)

I was getting more and more intrigued as this stuff seems relatively safe to use on pretty much everything and then I thought about HOW it works and knew straight away I should test it on my plants in my veg room.

There was none of the "Should I test it on a few leaves first" - I was in a serious predicament here. My plants were dying.

I used 1L of warm water mixed with 250ml of 3% H2o2 from the chemist and then gave all the plants in my veg room a good blasting.

I repeated this twice a day for about 5 days and to my surprise the leaves that were affected did not repair themselves but the fungus did not spread and kill the whole leaf like it was before.

What was more interesting was the rate at which new growth was appearing. It seemed that the extra oxygen was causing the new growth to be a lot more vigorous and none of the new growth seems to be affected.

I am pretty happy to say that the plants are making a full recovery.

Here is some info I found while researching this

Stay Cool,
Doobz
I have just bombarded my small Red Lady Papaya plantation (685 plants total)with 600mL of 50% H2o2 Food Grade to 20,000mL of water to prevent any virus spores from inoculating the plants. I will be doing this once every week as a virus shield. Your post helped me a lot. I first tested it on 9 plants and when I saw it did not harm them, quite the contrary; the new plant growth is coming strong, I blasted the rest of the crop. I'll keep you guys posted on new events. Thanks again for you’re posting and letting me share this information.

Last edited by guerrero3366; 07-15-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:36 PM

If you use just a little bit during regular watering your roots will smell like fresh alfalfa and be as white as the pure drive snow if you look at the root ball works awsome for the bonzi method