Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 14. Indoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2012, 12:58 AM

Default Why white/blue light grows better buds.

Going back to something J. Herrer said on the subject, he remarked that someone should develop a sun-block based on thc as this was produced by the plant as a defense response against high levels of UV light.

Its seems unanimously agreed amongst growers that cannabis grown at high altitudes is generally more potent.

Why is this so?

At altitudes greater than 1000 ft the levels of UV light in the atmosphere greatly increase.
Especially UV(B) which is getting near the toxic end of the light spectrum.

Metal halide and CFL lights (in the 6400 - 14000 k range) provide a good cross section of UV light that enact this defense response in budding plants.

Meaning greater thc/cannabinoid production.

EXAMPLE ;
The best/strongest hash you can smoke in India is called 'Charas'.
Charas can ONLY be made from Ganja grown at altitude.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:08 AM

Sounds reasonable - just curious though - not knowing much i am wondering if this is the same J Herer ( this is from a place i recently bought my WhiteBerry & Wappa seeds from.

JACK HERER - (feminized) Awards: Too numerous to mention
Genetics: Haze X Red Skunk
Effect: Strong on body and mind, long lasting
Flowering indoor: 8 Weeks with a yield up to 800g/m2. Very good for SoG and SCRog
Flowering outdoor: Ripe at the end of October (Europe)
THC: 20.94%
CBD: 0.12%
CBN: 0.04%
Old 04-28-2012, 01:31 AM

Default Hell no!

Jack Herrer was and (still is) a human being, his name was given to this variety.

(Which I believe is an inferior rip-off of Mr Nice's very finest "Super silver haze")
Old 04-28-2012, 01:40 AM
Banned

sadly, jack herer is no longer with us.

And if im not mistaken, jack herer is not a rip off of SSH, jack may have come first.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:45 AM

Default Aww, Dumb of me

Damn, I'm sorry about that.
When I was writing that, I put (still is) in brackets but I meant to put a question mark there.
Doh.
Oh well, we certainly wont forget him then.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:01 AM

Default absolutely

"The emperor..." was how I became aware of him, and I remember reading (with fondness) his blogs back then. Especially his entries whilst visiting A'dam.
He was an insightful visionary with a gentle and humourous intellect.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crikey View Post
Going back to something J. Herrer said on the subject, he remarked that someone should develop a sun-block based on thc as this was produced by the plant as a defense response against high levels of UV light.

Its seems unanimously agreed amongst growers that cannabis grown at high altitudes is generally more potent.

Why is this so?

At altitudes greater than 1000 ft the levels of UV light in the atmosphere greatly increase.
Especially UV(B) which is getting near the toxic end of the light spectrum.

Metal halide and CFL lights (in the 6400 - 14000 k range) provide a good cross section of UV light that enact this defense response in budding plants.

Meaning greater thc/cannabinoid production.

EXAMPLE ;
IME when it comes to budding nothing beats the good ole HPS! I wouldn't bother budding with anything else (well, a metal halide perhaps, but you'd have to twist my arm lol).

GM1

The truth will set you free

Old 04-28-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crikey View Post
EXAMPLE ;
Hi Crikey.

I have to correct you on your comment about Charas. Charas in India is just a name for Hand rubbed Hash, there are many different grades of it ranging from wild rubbed plants (jungli Plants), which generally produce a low grade dark Hash, to properly grown & rubbed farmed plants grown especially for Hash. I say grown for Hash as in the North they eat the seeds & plants are grown in some places purely for food (seeds) & the cannabis they collect is a by pruduct, add to that these plants are usually grown in poor mountainous soils & you get a type of Hash that's virtually unsmokeable to us with a fine Palate for top quality Hash.

Properly farmed Plants that are rubbed softly, with the first rub being the best & so on produce the best Hash & the Top grade in Malana will melt immediately when you put a lighter to it. The reason for hand rubbing traditionally in India is that for a start it can be too humid to sieve & also because the sieving process is a western concept.

I used to work in Pokhara Nepal, with an Old boy who sieved his plant material making the most exquisite Hash i've ever had, but he was the exception at the time.

Peace

B
"The lonliest people are the nicest. The saddest people smile the brightest. The most damaged people are the wisest. All because they don't want you to have to go through, what they have been through".... Anon

Last edited by Bubbla; 04-28-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:52 AM

I havn't tried my hand at a little pollen chucking in the closet for many years , but the little I did using uv as a selective tool was suggestive it is usefull tool for MALE selection , I'm only thinking theres something there
and really cant make anything to much out of my limited time having a look . but I could kill males with uv light ... Make of that what you wish I never really got my head around it to much then, maybe others can offer some usefull input.

have a read of this btw
bcgrowers title
Old 05-02-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Charas in India is just a name for Hand rubbed Hash,
Thank-you for that, reading your personal account makes me glad I joined MNF