Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 14. Indoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2008, 10:44 PM

Smile Super Silver Haze - Detailed Grow Report

I thought I would share my experience with Super Silver Haze. I have become somewhat familiar with this strain after two rounds of indoor growing.

This strain is something of a wonder, I have been growing herb for about 5 years both indoors and outdoors and I have never seen such strong genetics in any other plant so far.

Truly impressive!

First of all, here is the detailed info that I have gathered on this strain, as well as my personal notes on the grow.

Concerning the strain lineage or any other information, please correct me if I got it wrong, but I really took my time researching the web in order to find the correct information.

Grow Sheet Page 1 -->There is a small error on this page. NL#5 is actually a pure indica and not a hybrid of Nl#2 and NL#5. That cross was made at the Seed Bank but later discontinued.

Grow Sheet Page 2

Grow Sheet Page 3

Grow Sheet Page 4

Grow Sheet Page 5

First time round I vegged the plant for 5½ weeks before switching to 12/12. I grew some Nirvana Ice and DP Strawberry Cough fem alongside the Super Silver Haze. They were both nice but not in the same league as SSH.

Here they are in veg under some cfl's, a cool mister provided the required humidity.

The growroom was like a frigging rainforest during veg

Some people do not believe that you can get tight internodes with cfl's in veg. I care to disagree. Although Metal Halides make the plants explode in veg, the cfl's do a pretty good job as long as they are kept close to the plants and carefully raised every day or so.

After switching to the 600w Osram Plantastar HPS, the cfl's came in handy, providing light to the lower branches in order to reduce the stretch in early flowering.

This was an all organic grow. I mixed some guano and mycorrhiza spores into the soil. The guano usually lasts until flowering time, so it's an easy way to ensure that the growing plants have enough nutrients. Mycorrhiza on the other hand, connects to the plants roots, thereby increasing root mass. It also and improves on nutrient uptake, buffers out nutrient problems and makes plants more resistant to disease. I guess you could call it a skilled mediator between root and soil. I think that it's an important component in plant health. It has after all been around for 400 million years and 80% of all plants have this symbiotic association with the fungus.

As for the nutes, I used the complete BioBizz line as well as the supplemental BioNova line. BioBizz is really good stuff, it works wonders on the smell and taste of the buds.

Last edited by Kodiak; 07-09-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:45 PM

There were really no major problems during veg nor flowering. She's not an easy plant to grow but once you get used to it, you can work around the stretch with careful LST-training, pruning and topping.

I topped her about 20 times because she kept growing into the light. I suspect that this has to do with the angle at which the plant receives light. It is probably unnatural that the light shines constantly from above. In nature the angle varies all day long as the earth rotates around it's own axis, while making it's year-long journey around the sun. Another factor is probably the 12/12 light schedule. She behaved differently under 11/13.

Although it took her a long time to recover from being topped in veg, she had no problems with being topped several times over during flowering.

There was a second bloom explosion at 11 weeks of flowering and after observing 50% clear and 50% cloudy trichomes, the plant was harvested after 12 weeks of flowering.

The buds were nice and thick, laced with capitate-stalked glandular trichomes.

The total amount of buds harvested was enough to fill several mason jars. I'm guessing that this is the mostly Neville's Haze pheno because it leans heavily towards sativa and takes a long time to flower.

Last edited by Kodiak; 12-01-2008 at 08:35 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:45 PM

Second time around I let her grow as she pleased because I was away for weeks at the time while she flowered.

When I came back from a long trip, I was surprised to find this.

That insane main cola was about 70cm / 28 inches in length and very thick. I tried tying it down vertically but the weight of it crushed the stem as the angle was too extreme. She had already been under 12/12 for twelve weeks and the buds were immature, so I decided to cut down the main cola and switched the light schedule to 11/13.

A week after cutting down the huge main cola she started flowering properly. Now she is at week 16 of flowering and still not ready. I suspect it will take anywhere from 2-4 weeks for the buds to fill up.

The difference this time round is that the buds have a much deeper smell of ripe fruit and they are covered in oily resin. The quality of the buds is something completely different compared to the first round. I suspect that's because this was a bonsai mom that had time to mature for six months under cfl's, so the mature buds will also be of much higher quality.

Last edited by Kodiak; 12-01-2008 at 01:40 AM.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:46 PM

Unfortunately, one of the DP Strawberry Cough feminized plants that I had running on the side, sprouted male flowers and pollinated a few of the SSH buds before I could spot it.

That's the last time I will grow feminized seeds. At least 50% of all feminized plants I have grown turned hermie on me and in the end they are more trouble than they are worth.

On the other hand, I now have a handful of Super Strawberry Haze (fem) seeds to plant outdoor next year.

..And finally, here are some macro shots of the budding flowers.

Now I know why it's called Super Silver Haze

Enjoy and keep it green

-Kodiak-

Last edited by Kodiak; 12-01-2008 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:23 AM
BAMBI

Cheers for all this kodiak, just what i needed to see actually, grow sheets in all, fantastic mate,

Im sprouting a pkt of these ssh right now, going by this im not going to give em a vege time, think il put em into 12/12 as soon as the 1st true leaves show, and tip em also,

Myn wont go past the 70 day mark though, got to be out of the room by then.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:32 AM

No worries, glad I could help.

If you are aiming at 70 days, try giving them maybe 2-3 weeks of 12/12 and then switch to 11/13 on-off. This will trigger flowering for sure while 12/12 can go either way, depending on the pheno. You might get a slightly smaller harvest that way but nothing to worry about. If 12/12 works out fine then there is no need to shorten the days. In that case you could switch to 11/13 for the last two weeks just hurry up the ripening process a bit.

My sativa dominant plant does not respond well to long days. Probably has to do with the fact that they originate from tropical equatorial regions where day and night are almost equal in length all year round, with little variance.

There really isn't a vegetative period to mention here, not in the same sense as when indicas are concerned any ways.

I have tried both 20/4 --> 18/6 --> 12/12 and 12/12 --> 11/13, and the latter produced better results.

What also worked well for me was training the plant as it grew. Mainly low stress training because topping the plant slowed it down for two weeks. Start by tying the top of the plant at soil level so that it is situated lower than the side branches. Whichever branch that is the topmost, will become the main cola. The plant transports auxin and other growth hormones to the new locations while the former top branch grows upward, trying to catch up.

Just keep tying it down while feeding the new branches back into the plant. Tying them down in a circular fashion will result in a very bushy plant that keeps low while having lots of bud sites.

Last edited by Kodiak; 12-01-2008 at 05:48 AM.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:07 AM
BAMBI

Yes i almost forgot about the light differnce for sativa dom plants, i used to give a TNR plant 8-9 hours lites on and 14-15 hours off, worked well to,

Unfortuantly they have to go the 12/12 cycle as ive 4 other lites going at the same time with differnt plants, mostly indicas at the moement,

Il put these seedlings of mine in dirt with 6 litre containers and then i wont need to train them back i suppose,

If theres Indica dominant phenos amongst these seeds i may just keep these growing and take the rest out and find them another home, ive just the spot outdoors also, sweet' - are there more indica phenos than sativas,?

thanks again.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:52 AM

Sounds good, that will probably work out well. With the smaller pots it won't grow too big. You might still have to control the stretch somehow. Even with topping and training, it stretches out quite a bit. Tipping her over a scrog net will do fine.

I have mine in a 80 liter / 21 gallon moving box, so I will probably harvest it before it runs out of root space. Not the most practical solution but this way I don't have to worry about the soil drying up too fast while I'm away. The plant can go two, three weeks at the most between watering. That combined with slow uptake of the organic fertilizers makes the setup pretty much run itself.

I also had different strains growing at the same time during both grows. I let it run 12/12 until the indica/sativa plants were done and then I cut back on daylight for the last spurt.

From what I understand there are at least 3 distinctive phenotypes. Someone else can probably verify this. I wouldn't really know since I have only grown out the one I have now. Still have 12 seeds waiting in the freezer so eventually I'll run them too and see what I'll find.

From what I understand there's the mostly pure 12+ weeks sativa pheno that resembles Neville's Haze, the 10 weeks Skunk/Haze pheno and then something that is similar to the Skunk/Haze but grows a bit faster with tighter buds. Since the plant is 1/4 NL, I guess the faster one leans a bit towards the indica. I recon the faster pheno would be the one to keep if it is as potent as the ones that take longer to finish.

From what I can tell I have the mostly sativa pheno since it takes at least 12 weeks to finish. It has a bitter pine scent, although there is a sweet skunky undertone, like ripe citrus fruit.

I'm sure that any phenotype you find will be something good. It all boils down to excellent genetics. Potency, resistance and vigor as well as most other traits are genetically inherited so with good genes it's a breeze to grow nice plants.

This really is the strongest plant I have seen so far. Here's a big leaf. The only plant that I have seen larger leaves on was the Skunkman's oldschool Durban Skunk grown outdoors.

Happy Growing

Last edited by Kodiak; 12-02-2008 at 12:05 AM.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:30 PM
barletta

Kodiak, that plant is CRANKIN!! That looks to be one of the most sativa dom SSH that I've seen. I have 1 that I take to 12 wks, but by then, she is well cooked - Very few clear trichs, and almost no new white hairs. I have gotten to know 5 different ssh girls (seed and clone), and I'm finishing a 6th from seed soon. None of mine appear to be as hazy as yours. I have also seen 3 phenos -
1. fave - big, haze dom plant, but still quite controlable/growable 11+wks (#1 and poss #6)
2. commercial winner - thick, relatively dense skunky-funky buds. Finishes in ~10wks, and is IME the time/yield champ (#'s 2 and 4)
3. fast lil haze - hard lil FROSTY hazy smelling buds. Not branchy, lil FUNKY buds. ~8wks, smells hazy, but the high is not as powerful as the 11/12 weekers. LIGHT yield (#3 & #5)

I also made f2's with 2 different males. The first was VERY hazy smelling in flower, and took a solid 2 wks longer than any other male I've seen. Once he got going, he smelld as strong as a female, and was just 'esploding sacks from all over under a 125w cfl. I have a female (poss f2, poss spice x ssh) now that he fathered, that is a dead ringer from what I remember. I hope I get some crazy hazies like yours outta my f2's! I was thinking of a pack of 'less practical' haze in order to find a plant like yours (af/hz, mh x nev's, mh). I'm glad to see such a hazy expression from the ssh!!!

That is beautiful, dude, do another one!!!
Old 12-01-2008, 09:49 PM

Thanks man, she's a real beaut

I have to say that I really love this mostly sativa pheno. I was hoping for it too, so I guess I can count myself lucky.

Cool input on the phenos. There seems to be quite a variety. Let's hope you find that killer sativa pheno you're looking for.

I looked at some posts on Neville's Haze and my plant bears some resemble to it, although Neville's Haze has both Haze A and Haze C in it. I'm guessing that the Mango Haze could also prove to be a real winner.

Neville's Haze = (NL #5 x Neville’s Haze A) x Neville’s Haze C
Super Silver Haze = (NL #5 x Neville’s Haze C) x (Skunk #1 x Neville’s Haze C)
Mango Haze = (NL #5 x Neville’s Haze C) x (Skunk #1 x Neville’s Haze A)

It took me a while to work out the lineage on the SSH and MH. The previous beta versions of the MH had the exact same pedigree as the SSH but the MH seeds that are for sale now have a different father (Skunk#1xNH A). Although the mother plants of both hazes look the same on paper, they are not, they are infact sister plants.

Confusing, isn't it?

This girl takes a long time to fínish. Although I harvested her after 12 weeks of flowering the first time, the buds were nowhere near as ripe as they are now. I just figured they were ready because the trichs looked ready. There was only a faint scent of pine on the first grow, now she has a really strong bitter pine onset, followed by a sweet smell of ripe fruit.

At 16 weeks the buds are just starting to fill out and there is new growth every day it seems. New bud on the old buds. I have no idea how long she will take but I will wait it out no matter how long it takes. Probably 18-20 weeks. Still waiting for another bloom explosion. Heavy sativas seem to flower forever, as long as there is new growth I'll keep her running.

She has really long, fine white hairs and the buds are packed with trichs. The older buds are drenched in resin oil, sticky sticky

I try not to touch the buds too much while the plants are flowering, as every time one rubs a bud resin glands are broken.

I have been growing SSH for a year now so I'll probably run some pure indica next, although the Black Widow is tempting me.

I have one problem though that I was hoping someone could help me with. For some reason I decided to flower my 6 month old SSH bonsai mom. I changed my mind some time into flowering and took a bunch of clones from the flowering plant. One survived and looks nice and green but has not shown any growth at all since then and it's now 3 months old. If I lose this plant I'll have to beat myself up.

How long should it take for flowering clones to reveg?

Since the mom didn't really like long days, maybe I should put the clone under 18/6 or 16/8 or something, in case the 20/4 light regime I have the clones under is not to her liking?

If all else fails, I'll have to try revegging the flowered mothership.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Kodiak; 07-09-2009 at 05:37 PM.