Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 12. Outdoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2012, 03:58 PM

It depends upon your choice and ability and the resources. If you are thinking that hydroponics or aquaponics require less care and hardwork than you are making a mistake here. All require the same care and hardwork there.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:14 AM

Hi Vanamill
Do some research on disolved oxygen levels in hydroponics and you will find that the warmer your solution, the less oxygen it will hold. Over 75 degrees F and you are not giving your plant enough.
But, DO levels may be the least of your concerns once bacteria starts to grow in your hot, nutrient rich solution.
Not such a big deal until you look at the cost of dumping 300 gallons of hydro nutes because it is filled with brown slime and killing your plants.
Lets estimate 15 ML of nutes per gallon of water, you'll be putting in about $50 to $100 worth of nutes in there to fill it and if anything goes wrong with it, that is lost.
BTW: What happens to all those floating root balls when the pool is emptied?

Lets look again at your goals if you don't mind:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanamill View Post
Hello everyone, thank you for taking the time to read my thread.

The idea of this discussion is to theorize an outdoor system that is cheaply made, very basic to set up, and requires minimal watering frequency. The concept is definitely not new, as I have found out, but the idea to look into it actually came to me by fluke when I got a potted plant stuck in a slightly bigger bucket of water a week ago. I haven’t watered it once and it’s still seemingly thriving and flowering nicely (in full sun and up to and over 30 degrees Celsius heat)…
Let's see:
  • Inexpensive
  • Easy to set up
  • Requires minimal watering frequency

I would suggest using your kiddie pool as a big ass reservoir doing gravity feed or solar powered pump on a timer to water your plants with drip lines at optimum levels. Fill it with hydro nutes if you like and run coco.

You are heading for trouble with the idea you are suggesting.

If you disagree that temps make such a big difference when you are blowing bubbles in your res, then you can try it, but it seems to me to be an unnecessarily complicated and risky approach with little potential benefit over other simpler systems better suited to an uncontrolled outdoor op.

Last edited by Cptn; 06-09-2012 at 08:19 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:07 AM

Default Get nature on your side :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanamill View Post

The idea of this discussion is to theorize an outdoor system that is cheaply made, very basic to set up, and requires minimal watering frequency. The concept is definitely not new, as I have found out, but the idea to look into it actually came to me by fluke when I got a potted plant stuck in a slightly bigger bucket of water a week ago. I haven’t watered it once and it’s still seemingly thriving and flowering nicely (in full sun and up to and over 30 degrees Celsius heat)…
Hi Vanamill,

Great idea, I used to harp on something like this all the time. I once set up a small outdoor 2 plant system using a 50 gal drum with an airpump and it worked like a beast, but was not guerilla (as it obv needed electricity and I didnt have the investment for solar panels etc etc...) That system was a hybrid - plants in nutrient rich true soil, in pots, lower half of (large, deep) pots comprised of lots of gravel and submerged to ze appropriate depth in the water, and water surface shaded. Water had lots of compost directly chucked in, the occasional manures, and even conventional liquid nute dose stirred in as needed. It still wanted care, I gave it daily but it once ran on autopilot for a week of blazing sunshine and I came back to beautiful plants - while others in pots were on the verge of death. Plants in the ground at this time were also hale and hearty.

I have to say that if you do want to go guerilla and maximize passive survivability against the unpredictability of Nature, you gotta get her on your side! I think that you could definitely dream up a successful hybrid system that will cost you money, energy, time annnd dead plants, but such is the price of progress... I think the toughest part of this is the lack of electricity. I think that your system as concieved at the moment will give problems due to nutrient broth volatility of all kinds... lots of headache!

May I suggest working with nature, and trying to tweak your growsite micro-climate as much as possible to sway the odds in your favour? This would more surely achieve your stated goals quoted above, maybe in the meantime
trial and error your mad scientist creation (which I applaud wholeheartedly!) - plus you have a control group against which to measure, and have spread your eggs in two baskets. I am suggesting growing in the soil here - sorry that I am not wholly on topic, but I think it would satisfy your grow intentions more surely than reinventing the wheel which nature has been perfecting for millions of years.

Here are a couple of my reccomendations as to this:

Swales. Google this. Whether in dry or in flood prone areas, this can make a real difference. For very dry areas, dig swale in a very slight ´water catchment and focusing´ kind of pattern, just uphill of your plantation. Basically dig a wide shallow ditch, either on the contour of the land (ie regardless of the slope, when you walk the length of your ditch you should neither gain nor lose elevation) or slightly focusing - a ditch to catch water from a wider area and focus it just uphill of your plants. We´re talking a really slight ´canal´, < 5 degrees of slope. Just uphill of plantation, ensure a slightly deeper swale/depression/pool. Along the berm of the ditch (and everywhere else), plant lots of beneficial plants. This will make for very very happy ganja plants that can better survive pests, drought and rain. Water will be caught and inflitrated into the land where you need it - just uphill of your plants´ roots. Beneficials are wonders and become part of the joys and of the yields of your system.

Plant in soil and mulch like crazy. All the clippings you make from your clearing should go right ontop the soil surface itself. You are gonna get good results in any weather conditions so much so that you will begin to go on mulch collecting missions, you will get crazy about your mulch, treating it like your ammo and your armor, your love and protection. I´ve seen and been infected by this disease, a most salubrious and enjoyable malady. Mulching will reduce surface evaporation and soil volatility, will provide slow release nutes to the soil, will lessen hugely the nutrient runoff from rains, will reduce considerably weeds etc popping up, eliminate solar radiation on the ground (only mulch once your ground has warmed up after cold etc), will insulate the ground against early frosts etc and will help alot in camoflage from the air (versus easily spottable bare earth, you´ve just got an unbroken visual surface of vegetation etc... less evidence of human ganja grower´s happy meddling.) Get nature on your side.

Pick a growing area that is not ONLY based on secrecy... yes of course that is number 1 ABSOLUTELY, but a site that grows plants well already will not need much tweaking from us lazy bumbling humans. Nuff said.

Plant in the soil and plant cover crops that will grow close to the soil surface and provide all of the mulching´s benefits. Also can choose nitrogen fixing crops that will feed plants. Also can choose beneficial plants that can combat specific problems that you may be experiencing in your area - whatever the problem is, nature has got a solution for it. Get her on your side, work less, smoke more. Plus this way you will be working with a wider diversity of biology, and let me tell you, diversity is the spice of life.

Let our own growing reflect our personal ideals of ethics, government, lifestyle... whatever you call it and wherever one bothers to look, every thing that we do is invested and charged with the fullness of our character, and we shall reap what we sow.

Beautiful and blessed growing to you man, cant wait to see what you come up with!
- Ras

PS I think Mango Haze would like being in the ground, as a sativa shes gonna be big and badass, strong and vibrant. I never grew her.

Do your best and forget the rest.

Last edited by Ras; 06-13-2012 at 04:20 AM.