Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 12. Outdoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2011, 05:36 PM

Thumbs up Tactics against deers, rabbits and wild boar/hog

Yo,

Long time no see, happy to be back. Last year I did my first guerilla with 3 spots and they were non stop thrashed by either deers or wild boars. Promised myself would be their last victory. In the mean time I read everything I could on wild boars and how to keep them out.

2011 :
I started by digging in a new spot (forest) 6 holes just before snow came, passed winter came back and added my "hot soil" without any blood or fish stuff (just added more bat guano). Waited 6 weeks and came back with rest of soil. I sprayed loads of dog and human hair, neem oil, put garlic and my home made "stinky hot sauce" made of pepper, garlic, tobasco, chili pepper, roten eggs, tobacco etc... No signs of any predators so waited a few weeks and added my 6 feminised cuts and sprayed loads of neem oil again and my home made sauce....!

Unfortunately all this was not enough and 2 of my cuts were thrashed by fuckin wild boars. Went back to reading and found 2 new products to try :
1) Mothballs (made of naphthalene or paradichlorobenzene
2) Gas/gasoil put instead I put turpentine oil

I put the moth balls in a home made little bag made of chicken wire/fence and put the turpentine oil on socks which I cut into pieces. I put that all around my spot and folks it seems to be working since it's been over a month and no more attacks

Looking forward to any feedback from you guys if you have tried these tricks,

All the best
The wild boar exterminator
Old 06-10-2011, 08:24 PM
feral

I would love to hear some tactics. Last year I lost all 3 spots (4 plants per spot). 1 spot to rippers and the other 2 to deer.

This year I have sunk tree limbs straight into the soil and plan to surround the plots with black 100lb fishing line at 1 and 3 foot height intervals. I have also thought about laying soda bottles that have been painted black and filled with urine around the perimeters as well concealed by the brush that I'm planted in.

How did you use the turpentine? I was thinking of doing the same thing with soda bottles as well using mineral spirits.

I'm more determined this year to not let this happen again.

Last edited by feral; 06-10-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:52 PM

successfully used metal chicken wire for many years outdoors. you gotta bury it in at least 2 feet deep, top close and camo it as best you can. The wire is not a failsafe but is intended to deter and protect the rootball since mj is amazingly resilient and can recover from an early season chew down if given time. But as you noted mj does not do well when completely dug up.

general rule outdoors plant 40-50% more than your goal since losses are inevitable. ultimately the biggest animal problem I found was two legged in the form of rippers/rogues and leo. The outdoor game only works if you take a farmers mentality and realize your entire season's work can get wiped on a dime by circumstances often beyond your control.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:12 PM
Donald Mallard

apart from a chicken wire fence ,
we used to always electrify it ,
wack a hot wire down low and another at the top of the fence ,,
most things it only takes one hit and they never want to go near that fence again ...
Old 06-10-2011, 09:13 PM

This year I'm taking my skunk problem (fuckers dig in my tilled soil at night looking for grubs) seriously. I mixed in a few seriously hot crushed chilis per hole and hope those little fuckers get a big nosefull.

I am worried that it may be disadvantagous for my plants tho. Any thoughts?
Old 06-11-2011, 07:29 AM

Yeah the fishing line is also a good idea. Last years experience plus this year makes me think that if you put a barrier (other than electrified) wild boars will want to thrash it that's why I'm focusing on smell.

Re the turpentine oil, I took a sock, cut in in 4 parts and then dipped it in the oil, smells really really strong, let it dry a few hours and just add a string to tie it to a tree. This oil has both gasoline and something close to napalm which you can also find in naphthaline.

Re putting chili in your ground (which I have also done) it just won't do ANYTHING. The home made fuckin smelly rotten mix I had done just attracted them more than anything else.

Dog hair won't do much either!!
Old 06-12-2011, 12:32 AM

deer, rabbits and most small animals are easily handled with sprays but when you start speaking of the wild hog and its various cousins, you are looking at a nasty animal in nature. there are no feral hogs (yet) where i live but we have another loathsome creature known as a groundhog whose habits are similar to a feral hog. females are over 20 lbs and have litters just like pigs and rapidly populate an area and claim it as their own. i know these animals by their damage and today, if i run into them i move the garden. i have battled them in the past so i know better now. i spent hundreds of dollars one summer on poison to feed them and they won anyway. today the most effective item is salts of various animal urine usually, coyote that scares groundhogs. but your best bet is to move if you encounter these critters. peace-biteme
Old 06-12-2011, 01:37 AM

Fishing line works good for the deer, they freak when they run into it cause they don't see it. Maybe put bells on it? Deer don't like noises they don't understand.

I used to have a driveway alert that emitted a high pitched alert. Even though the sensor was a long ways away (I couldn't hear the alert from the sensor point). The deer would often freeze for a while right in the spot where they triggered it.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biteme View Post
but your best bet is to move if you encounter these critters. peace-biteme
took me a long time to find this perfect spot in this forest, difficult to find a spot where they wont go and that I can access, they just need to learn to share Everything has an opposite, something they hate to smell, eat etc... just need to find it
But I get your point and that's exactly what I did between last year and this year but they're everywhere and they came back so I have only 1 option : have lots of holes and try to keep them away with various tactics.... and all of this in a very very limited budget from now on until better finances.
Will go check how things are going and keep you posted on effectiveness of moth balls and turpentine oil. If new problems arise I'll add fishing line.

Cheers
Old 06-12-2011, 02:57 PM
feral

you could always hang pictures up of Sarah Palin. That would be enough to even keep the devil himself outta of your patch.