Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 12. Outdoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feral View Post
you could always hang pictures up of Sarah Palin. That would be enough to even keep the devil himself outta of your patch.
they came back but it's still rollin : 2 really started growing, 2 are on the same path, 1 was attacked but just a bit undug so it'll recover and last one just transplanted an early clone so it's quite fragile for the time being. Gona launch other cuts if needed and gona setup some fishingline but still thinking about the best way to do it guerilla wise. It's funny how the do, either they just stick their nose in the dirt just a few inches ... no harm or either they just blow up the hole
Old 06-13-2011, 03:39 PM

Just a quick hint on camouflage for chicken wire: if you are lucky enough to have a fire pit a quick couple of minutes in fire helps a bunch. of course be careful, not in a roaring fire or it could melt.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:18 PM
feral

Yea I hear on the fishing line. I figure between that and the turpentine/mineral spirits that should be enough. Plants go in this weekend thank God. Getting ready to move into a nice house with a BIG private yard in a couple of weeks
Plenty of gardening to do there, veggie/herb and special herbs to And the thing get's full sun from 10am till night fall. Can you say I'm gonna be in heaven.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:27 AM
itsbenfun

Traps, the bigger the better...Just dont step in them yourself

Also hangin around the site just observing, taking a mid day nap under a tree, ect., presence does alot.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:44 AM

If there's running water nearby make a Shishi-Odoshi - a Japanese deer scarer -

YouTube - ‪try 2‬‏

Making a Shishi Odoshi bamboo deer scarer/water fountain - Bamboo Forums

Buy*Traditional*Bamboo*Deer...
Old 06-16-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantManBee View Post
Just a quick hint on camouflage for chicken wire: if you are lucky enough to have a fire pit a quick couple of minutes in fire helps a bunch. of course be careful, not in a roaring fire or it could melt.
Thanx for the info mate I'm lucky enough to have found some green

Quote:
Originally Posted by feral View Post
Yea I hear on the fishing line. I figure between that and the turpentine/mineral spirits that should be enough. Plants go in this weekend thank God. Getting ready to move into a nice house with a BIG private yard in a couple of weeks
Plenty of gardening to do there, veggie/herb and special herbs to And the thing get's full sun from 10am till night fall. Can you say I'm gonna be in heaven.
What would you guys use as a support for the fishing line, needs to be camo + strong enough to resist chewing or stomping ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsbenfun View Post
Traps, the bigger the better...Just dont step in them yourself

Also hangin around the site just observing, taking a mid day nap under a tree, ect., presence does alot.
Yeah tripping is an issue especially when I go there baked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor77 View Post
If there's running water nearby make a Shishi-Odoshi - a Japanese deer scarer -
[/url]
Man where do you guys get so funcky ideas like that Shishi stuff, thought it was a joke. Thanks for the links i'll investigate.

Z'been a bit raining these past two weeks and should continue a few days, just enough to fill my holes before hotter days requesting loads of water arrive.

Do you guys think it would be a good idea of adding a handfull of worm castings on each plant ? The soil at the top of my hole is NPK 15/15/15 ?

For info, here's my setup
13 to 16 gallon holes
bottom 1/3rd is a hot soil + water crystals
medium to top of hole is soil NPK 15/15/15 with perlite and vermiculite and some peat

Added water with either rhizotonic, Rootjuice, epsom salt, alfalfa

Cheers guys
Old 06-17-2011, 03:08 AM

i havent dealt with hogs but for deer, mice and rabbits i use a solar powered electric fence, synthetic mountian lion urine, tons of my own urine mixed with water and if i want to be a dick poison pellets(mainly for mice). i ordered the fence online , it was enough to zap me good. and i got the mountian lion urine from my local home depot. good luck with your hogs
Old 06-17-2011, 03:20 AM

I remember an old outdoor book "The Secret Garden" recommending in addition to fishing line, bars of detergent soap. I did once string some little bars of safeguard soap on the fishing line, those plants did survive the deer. They got really big, but never did get any real solid bud on them before the rains came. I gave up my backwoods efforts after that, too much work for no reward. I did have some modest success, but it gets rainy way too early up here in the PNW.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:11 PM

i feel for you dankind. my last war with the groundhog was also the absolutely perfect spot. it was a fenced and gated country cemetary that was several acres in size but burials were rare. the terrain was rolling so i could enter and hide my van behind the hills and not be seen, and i had a key to the gate. the spot was surrounded by farm fields but the sloughs were the home to a herd of groundhogs, probably one of the most territorial beasts in my country. they refuse to allow other animals to live in their lands. your plants are ripped out of the ground and torn apart. they do not like them, they don't want you on their land. my first move was traps but if you are not on your trapline at the crack of dawn these loathsome creatures will chew a leg off to escape. i would replant with new tactics, they would go around and tear out plants until finally i started up with the poisons. a special license is required for the best poison baits which i do not have. so i resorted to rat block, ending up buying it in 45lbs. buckets. i spent almost $600 that summer on rat block. some died. ant poison contains arsenic and i started filling the holes in the rat block with it. eventually the stench of death hung over that entire valley. but i could not get them all. in later years i set a few plants and the very evening, the hogs would tear them out. so i moved from there but good luck and peace-biteme
Old 06-18-2011, 02:18 AM
feral

Plants went in today. They are in a pretty good size stinging nettle/sticker bush patch so 3 sides are hopefully secure. It's a good 6 feet buffer zone on each side.
The opening I sunk 2 bamboo poles pretty deep one on each side. I guess they went down about 2 feet. Then fishing line (50# test) at 1, 2, and 3 foot height. Then a dark rag that had been soaked in mineral spirits was attached to the fishing line as well. Lets hope this works.
One spot I did stay away from that I had dug because some buck apparently didn't like the fact I was there. There was plenty of antler rubs on the trees as well as urine and feces in the middle of that patch, so to keep myself from having a run in and getting gourd by a antler that spot was abandoned. After all, it is their home and needs to be respected. I know I would not appreciate someone coming to my house and tearing things up and putting in plants, so I have to see things from their perspective.
Stay safe folks and lets hope to a good harvest this year.