Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 12. Outdoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2008, 06:09 PM

Default Cold Weather: What are the effects

I've been searching through all my grow books and they mainly talk about indoor temps and effects not outdoor...Ed Rosenthal states that cold weather outdoors in the fall can become a problem because the plants tissue is affected when outdoor temps drop below 45degF and that resin production and bud growth ceases and it takes the plant 3 continuous days of sunny weather and temps over 60degF before the plant resumes bud growth and resin production...Is all this true because I know some old heads in the area who have some very long flowering plants that they "claim" can take snow as long as u shake the snow off the plants...one guy takes his Rhino's into Nov. (so he claims) but I find all this hard to believe as the first frost comes around Oct.15-30 with freezing occuring around Nov.1...with the lack of intense light and low temps how well do plants actually do in cold conditions...Is it best to harvest early when its still warm and production is at its peak? Or to leave em outside as long as possible? Reason I ask is indoors i take plants so they're very amber but outdoor this is generally impossible, thought i'd try it this year but what happens when temps get really low at nite say about 40degF?
Old 10-01-2008, 06:23 PM
barletta

I'm under the impression that certain strains (sativa doms??) can take a light frost, and have little problems with sub 40 degree nights. I've had a few nights dip to ~45ish with NO problems so far. I have a cold snap coming, so I'll be out again after the first sub40 night. A max/min outdoor thermometer is a prize, and they are cheap, less than 10 bux. I have 1 at my house, and allow for 2-3deg colder @ the spots to be safe.

That sux dude, Ike, the storms, then cold. You got it bad this year. My weather has been 'acceptable' since ~Aug 20. GREAT until then...
Old 10-01-2008, 07:07 PM

worst outdoor year by far...this is the first year i used clones (which were some indoor prizes that didn't fair well outside)...Satori has problems with the cold which worries me, my Afghan will do fine i'm sure...Rhino is hating the weather and has ceased just about everything...Heri is so dense the cold nites make me concerned of mold (50%chance of rain for days)...outdoors is a gamble every year but my location is generally fantastic...chalk it all up to experience...Seed plants tho less uniform grow bigger stems so i may go back to that next year with some Early Queen i got in the freezer...thanks barletta for the kind words...my Nirvana White Rhino was sampled tho and is wicked strong so she'll be my gem for the year outdoors...everything else is a bit beat up to say the least
Old 10-01-2008, 11:38 PM
BAMBI

I dont know much about ed's theory, sounds about right though,

growing outdoors it just depends where the crop is situated or put down to grow, further up into the hills it gets super sunny and hot, a few deg more than on the plains, but cold temps come a little earlier of course,

If you grow close or next to the SEA, you will find those cold temps wont affect plants in the cold cold temps that would harm or kill most other plants left in cold temps and turn dark purple from frost bite, people that live by the sea will tell you they dont get frosts or not as early as in towns or citys.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:33 AM

well i'm about 40deg. latitude tho i live in the valley of my area nowhere near the sea at all so when the temps hit they're cold...my 5 day and lows range from 40-45 with highs in the 50's.....not cannabis heaven by any means...tho i must say my area recieves enormous rain and cold temps come this time of year so its more of a game of finding the fastest pheno's possible that won't mold yet can be harvested with reasonable potency by Oct1-15...this year the 15th is looking to glim so harvest time is whenever is the most convenient regarding the microclimatic conditions
Old 10-03-2008, 01:23 AM
BAMBI

Try using a fast flowering Afghanni number one strain off sensi seeds,

I found one plant amongst the packet of 15 seeds i got off sensi was super fast to flower and ready at 42 - 45 days, or 6 half weeks is plenty, its got a strong pepper smell to it all through out its flowering cycle.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBI View Post
Try using a fast flowering Afghanni number one strain off sensi seeds,

I found one plant amongst the packet of 15 seeds i got off sensi was super fast to flower and ready at 42 - 45 days, or 6 half weeks is plenty, its got a strong pepper smell to it all through out its flowering cycle.
i actually say that beauty of yours in another thread and think i may crack a pack or two and try to find something special...quick question, do you like the stone on the Afg#1, i'm having a hard time deciding whether to crack open a pack of Afg#1, Medman or G13/Sk...only got room for one full pack and don't want to spread things out this time...all 3 have been sittin in the fridgem...choices choices choices
Old 10-03-2008, 02:32 AM
BAMBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious101 View Post
i actually say that beauty of yours in another thread and think i may crack a pack or two and try to find something special...quick question, do you like the stone on the Afg#1, i'm having a hard time deciding whether to crack open a pack of Afg#1, Medman or G13/Sk...only got room for one full pack and don't want to spread things out this time...all 3 have been sittin in the fridgem...choices choices choices

Hi curious, yeah the Afhgani in the thread really took us by suprise when one plant flowered this fast, all the others took 8 or even 9 weeks to finish, so its kept mainly for that reason alone by a few of me mates here,

Im not to fond of the peppery taste it has, its okay dont get me wrong, and has a good strong narcotic high just like the rest do, some people dont like the narcotic high but at the end of the day its fast to flower and can handle extreme cold conditions quite well in the south of the south island where i grew other afghani num/1 clones a year or two ago, this means its probably almost perfect for those conditions you speak of where you reside,

And yeah matey id prefer the G'13 skunk stone over the afghanni/1 any day of the week really, but of course id still be happy with what ever ya know.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBI View Post
Hi curious, yeah the Afhgani in the thread really took us by suprise when one plant flowered this fast, all the others took 8 or even 9 weeks to finish, so its kept mainly for that reason alone by a few of me mates here,

Im not to fond of the peppery taste it has, its okay dont get me wrong, and has a good strong narcotic high just like the rest do, some people dont like the narcotic high but at the end of the day its fast to flower and can handle extreme cold conditions quite well in the south of the south island where i grew other afghani num/1 clones a year or two ago, this means its probably almost perfect for those conditions you speak of where you reside,

And yeah matey id prefer the G'13 skunk stone over the afghanni/1 any day of the week really, but of course id still be happy with what ever ya know.
thanks again...Narcotic strains are my cup of tea for sure...both are great choices but with everything u mentioned i'm rolling with the Afg#1 just because i love all Afgan hyrbrids and pure indies really rock my boat...i loved the G13/Sk i grew and just finished a nice lil joint of the G13 and its a real winner for sure...that being said i'd like to try some new things and i've had these Afg's for a bit so its there time (plus my tolerance grows super fast with the G13/Sk for some reason)...thanks again bro i really appreciate it