Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 11. Seedlings and clones

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 07:18 PM

Default 14000k cfl

Has anybody done a full veg cycle with these lamps?

The general story is that they are aquarium veg/coral specific grow lights.
Another line is that they are good for propogation/seedlings, tho no mention of a full veg cycle on the Interwebs.

They really seem to work for the tiny babies but a 6400K will show up tomorrow and for me the experiment will end.My knowledge of CFLs is zero,( having vegged with LEDs up till the UFO did a Roswell on me)and probs bought the 14000K in haste (250w) but as I said, tommorow a 6400 will show up and I shall return to the fold

But again folks,there is very little useful info on this type of lamp available so if you have experience, please step forward and spill the beans,for good or badAB
Old 02-29-2012, 02:43 PM
hypocrite

I run a few of these to veg under at the minute although mine are the 250w ones not the 130-150w ones, if you have enough of them and space them in certain ways you can maximise the growth, but my main beef is they only seem to throw out a bit of light.. as in it does not appear to penetrate too much so if plants are directly near them then that area sees growth (hence I move the plants about) I started with 2 250w ones but doubled that up quite quickly.. so now its much better growth you can get them real close and they don't throw off much heat... but honestly I preferred keeping some mums under them and vegging clones straight under the big lights... so I'm thinking of just keeping big mums under these now and the clones under the big ones again.. then tree the mums off

presume these are the ones you use

150w PowerPlant Envirogrow CFL Super Cool White Lamp

I have

CFL Self Ballasted 250W CFL Blue or Red Lamp
Old 02-29-2012, 06:37 PM

Hi Hypocrite,thanks for the input. so are you running the 14000k lamp or 6400k?, Mine is a 250w model btw.Intresting that the blurb in the link mentions that its designed for seedlings and roots,my little babies are very happy with the situation.I mean,it must be true, Ive just read it on them thar Interwebs

I figure Ill use the 14000 for a couple of weeks then move over to the 6400 which arrived today.Itll be interesting to see the different light qualities (temperatures).One poster in a thread said the wavelength of light being emmited by the 14000 was wrong for the plant ,that the plant was effectively blind to the light.Well thats not what Im seeing.Im seeing very happy plants, but obviously without a side by side comparison of the two lamps performance its impossible for me to say wether the 14000k lamp is working well. Hmm.Shall post some pics later

PeaceAB
Old 03-04-2012, 07:58 PM

Hi folks,well my 12 La Ninas have been under the 250w 14000k cfl for 9 days now on a schedule of 20/4.
The question was do these lights work?Well,compared to my now defunct 90w UFO yes they do.Do they work compared to a 6500k cfl? I cant say cos the two havnt been run side by side
I can say the root formation is better than I have seen in the past and growth above ground is better, but Im comparing a 250w cfl to a 90w led light source
They have been repotted tonight and will stay under the 14000k for another week, then go under a 6500 cfl(250w)

The first shot is La Ninas,2 days above ground.
The second shot is 9 days above ground
The third shot is root formation,and the fourth shot is the babies after being repotted

PeaceAB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (851.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (759.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 010.jpg (445.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 020.jpg (883.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 04-10-2012, 09:27 AM

Default Full CFL grow

[QUOTE=amathystbuddah;153673]Has anybody done a full veg cycle with these lamps?

The general story is that they are aquarium veg/coral specific grow lights.
Another line is that they are good for propogation/seedlings, tho no mention of a full veg cycle on the Interwebs.

I'm mid way through my 3rd full CFL grow, and hopefully you'll get the great results like I have been getting.
I'm not missing ballasted lights at all, and I know what the difference is having had a lot of time growing with a +1000 watt system.

Quality is important to me, and from my own exp. I cant see any real negatives to using CFL's. I just look forward to adding the next one.

I think there's a lot of contentious things said about CFL's (the salesmen are panicking-the marketers start scaremongering).

The country where I live has the highest electricity prices in the world.
CFL's have nomonalised my power consumption, without any significant compromising of yield.
I use combo's of all wave length's over the whole growing phase, after all, the best you can do is provide as full a spectrum as the sun does.

I's like beta Vs. Vhs. Both worked fine. The market doesn't want people to have to much choice.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:56 AM

Thumbs down CFL's One Piece Unservicable And Hot Ballasts To Boot

With Popular Sunblasters And T5 VHO Fluoro Strip Lights ( That Can Be Daisy Chained Together- 4 Tubes/ One Plug.
Now New From FHD Canada Are The New T5 Reflectors . Talked To Byron And He Said They Should Be In The U.K Very Soon.
To See Lights/Reflectors Visit Their B.C Website HOME - Future Harvest - Grow Better
I Bought A CFL Some Years Back And Only Used It For A Week Before Going Back To H.I.D (250 Watt ).
H.I.D's And Conventional Fluoros Can Have Their P.A.R Levels Measured
CFL's Cannot
Even The 300 Watt Nurturelight Is No Match For Traditional Grow Lights
JKP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nanotech T5 Reflector.jpg (7.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg T5 With Nanotech Reflector.jpg (10.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Nanodome By Sunblaster.jpg (52.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg FHD Bucket System-60 Litre.jpg (59.5 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Joe King Park; 04-10-2012 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Image
Old 04-10-2012, 11:33 AM

Default My CFL's work just fine

Where I live I suppose we have access to newer, better CFL's.(Than in the UK)
3 X 250 watt work's Great!
I'm not naming brands, but I'm not talking about weeny-ass strip flouros; of course they cant compare.

Who would use them?

I'll say it again ; CFL's work fine for all phases of your (home)grow without loss of quantity or quality.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:51 PM

Default (Current) cfl grow photos

These are diesel x clones 5.5 weeks old.
They have had 4 weeks at 20:4 for 4 weeks (2 x 250 watt CFL), and are just into their 2nd week of 12:12.
The tops of the 2 outside plants are stretched vertically, to the back wall of the tent (cant see in photo).
Also the lights are higher than they usually are for purpose of photo.

Last edited by crikey; 10-16-2012 at 05:51 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crikey View Post
I'll say it again ; CFL's work fine for all phases of your (home)grow without loss of quantity or quality.
Fluoro's are great but IME HID's give a much better throw of light especially for taller plants.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:03 PM

Default I aint never goin back to ballasted lights

But it's a huge waste of electricity .
Like I said I have used 1000+ watt systems before and I would never go back to any ballasted light because they are HUGELY INEFFICIENT. And a lot of the light off them is transmitted as heat, not useful to the plant at all.
Cfl's throw enough light when you use a few of them positioned at different heights- low, med,high.

After 15 years using ballasted lights, thank fuck someone came up with something better- cheaper, more efficient and kinder to plants.

Keep on roasting your plants (and you power bills) HID dudes, maybe if I lived in the frozen nthn hemisphere I might appreciate them as much as you guys seem to.

But really, get with the new tech!