Mr. Nice Forums  
Home History Strains Media Web Community Medical Marijuana Contact us Auctions

Go Back   MNS Forums > Grow information > 11. Seedlings and clones

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 01:36 PM

Default Regarding the "Shot Glass" method.

How long after the seeds sink can they stay submerged? Is it possiblemto drown them?

Thanks
Old 01-20-2011, 03:12 PM
Scorpion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullDogDad View Post
How long after the seeds sink can they stay submerged? Is it possible to drown them?

Thanks
Hi BullDogDad,
First off ,welcome to Mr Nice Forums. {got the message,it's all good}
I can tell you how I germinate my seeds.
I store them in the cold box,when ready to start a grow I first remove them from fridge and let them warm to air temp.
While they warm up,I prepare the medium,I use coco blended with peralite.
I encourage the use of a simple Heat Mat,
High Humidity Dome with vents and a standard seedling tray.
a small but bright Fluorescent Grow Light.
{this ,along with a sharp razor and a quality rooting gel is all you need to take and root many clones .}

Once the seeds have warmed and all is prepared,I place however many I want to grow in a clear Glass cup,
fill with RO,Tap,Rain water whatever you would use in the area. drop in the seeds,leave until they sink to the bottom.
occasionally I will stir the water just to break surface tension to allow saturated seeds to sink.
after 24 hours have passed,most seeds should sink .
Nutrient {I use Hesi.nl for coco} simple effective and no problems ever.
mix at seedling /clone strength for your preferred nutrient.
Saturate coco cups with this weak solution 1 time until germination occurs,1time only please.
pour seeds out in a small wire strainer,use tweezers to place wet seed in coco cups
place cups in seed tray,turn on heat mat,place dome,turn on lamp,and leave alone until germination occurs,usually in 2 days -2 months ?
depending on what you grow...this will work for many seed types not just cannabis.
Hope this helps...
Have a Mr Nice Day!

scorpion
Old 01-20-2011, 03:20 PM
Scorpion

to answer your question,Yes they can turn to mush if they stay soggy too long.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:11 PM

I usually just use the back part of my TV or DVD player (the warm part) instead of a heat mat. Scrape the seeds a bit, put them in a small ziplock with water and a drop of peroxide and into a wee plastic bowl and theyre off. When the seeds crack it take them very carefully taproot down and plant them in the substrate of your choice.
P.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:33 PM

Default re

Hi guys, thanks for the replys. I soaked seeds in shot glass with distilled water for about 12-16hrs. After 12 hrs they were still floating so I stirred and they imediately sank. Just like you say Scorp ; ). I left them submerged for maybe three hrs but i've never used this method and was unsure if they would drown. So I went conservative and took them out. I then sowed them 2in deep into Roots Organic soil amended with a little extra worm castings. Im on day three in soil and two have broken the surfqce so far. I have them in a domed tray with a heat pad underneath.

You know I breed dogs and Im a big believer in survival of the fittest. It's not uncommon to have puppies die in the first 7weeks of life because they cant make it to a teet or for many other reasons. Some people will take pups like this and literally put them on a teet to feed. I wont however. In doing so I feel you are encouraging the weak to survive.

So it's no surprise my approach to plants is the same. I never understood the paper towel method. (not knocking the people who use it) just that it always seemed like an extra step to me. Whats the advantage to doing it? I feel if the seed isnt strong enough to grow out of the media its planted in then it was a cull anyway. The soaking made sense to me from a time perspective cuz the seeds otherwise have to soak it up from the substrate which is at a much lower concentration than floating in pure h2o. So i figured it might speed things up if I gave them a pre soak. Are there maybe some points i've failed to consider with the paper towel method?

In the past i've always just stuck dry seed right into the soil and i've never had below 95% germ rate success (aproximately).

What do you guys think is optimal depth to sowe the seeds. I've done shallow in the past because im inpatient but it always bite memin the ass with seed pods stuck on leaves and week stems that curl over. I figure good and deep may takemlonger but by the time they break the surface itmcan be assumed they also have a nice little tap root going and the stem is adequately strong and anchored. But how deep is to deep?

Thanks guys
Old 01-20-2011, 08:45 PM

I can agree with you on survival of the fittest, whoŽd want the Stephen Hawking of dobermans eh, but if you shell out big dollars for a seed that wont make you feel better about them dying on you, if the seed is dead it wont pop even after 2 days in water. I wouldnt worry about drowning them. They dont breathe and can manage fine even after several days in the drink. they have a thin coating of wax so by scraping that a bit water can get in there and "wake" the seed up.
P.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:17 PM

Default update

Not sure what happened but out of 20 Shark Shock planted in potting soil 6 sprouted and three of those would not have without my intervention.

I was becoming impatient and could just tell something was wrong. So I gently dug down in to each cup and found 15 of the 17 that hadn't sprouted yet. What I found were slighty brown tap roots that were slimy and mushed to the touch. I dont think it was the heat mat b/c I monitor temps and it stays in the 69 to 76 degree range.

My guess is too much moisture which happened at one of two stages or was a combination of both. Either it was the 12-16hr pre-soak in distilled water or it was the medium. I've never pre-soaked before and never before had a problem so I'm suspicious of this method right off the bat even though people here use it successfully. I'm using Roots Organic soil. It seemed to not drain well and stayed kind of soupy when watered. But, I added worm casting to the mix. Could castings affect the drainage? Anyway, three of them seemed viable so I rinsed them in fresh H2O to get slime off and replanted and they made it. I'm bummed that I lost 14 of these high quality seeds. But that's what experience is for I guess.

I've gone back tomy old fashioned method of planting the seed in wet dirt. Period. I just planted four Mango Widow. I also cut my Roots soil with some locally made potting mix that drains much better. Not putting all my eggs (or beans) in one basket this time.

Bummbed but looking forward to the one that made it and to the Mango Widow.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:41 PM

GENERAL RULE OF THUMB :

Soak seeds in the shot glass for no more than 24 hours then transfer to a moist (not soaked) paper towel or rapid rooter cube , allowing a bit of air flow , above a warm surface / heat mat / window sill with sunlet until they pop.

PS. Sorry about the necro-post but I figured a straight forward clear and concise answer was beneficial to this thread.

cheers

Last edited by synkronosurfer; 11-07-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:19 AM

This has always been my preferred method. I use a bowl with a little ro water and a tablespoon of Hydrogen Peroxide. I change the water and Hydrogen Peroxide daily. I transplant them to Rockwell after the root is a 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Keep them in a dark warm place. Most will germ between 24 and 36 hours. As long as you do this you wont have any problems. Good Luck!
Old 11-08-2011, 03:58 AM

I think 2 inches is a lil to deep to plant seeds. About a quarter of an inch deep is what I do with no problems. The seed shell may still be stuck on the leaves when it breaks the surface but it doesnt bother me as the new growth usually breaks it off. The pre soak really helps the seed take up moisture faster than just putting them in dirt which means they will sprout a few days earlier. Also once the seed sprouts it needs light so it can produce the energy needed to keep growing, so I think by planting 2 inch deep your seedlings wilted and died before they broke the surface. All of that is just my opinion and I am certainly no expert but from what I've read, I pre soak for 24 hrs then put in a root cube in a seedling tray with a heat mat set to 80 degrees, water the root cubes once with tap water, as it contains enough nutrients for a young seedling, and cover with a humidity dome and within a day or two I have little seedlings. Hope this helps.